Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 05:17 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,533,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
It seems that the lay people have been letting them get away with the centuries old idea that clergy comes under special rules.
You know that term "follow the money" ? I think that this applies here more than people realize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
My parents were Catholic AND superstitious. I never bought it. I thought it most appropriate that the laws and rulings of the Catholic Church were issued as "Papal Bull." So my epiphany was definitely not religion-based.
You say that your ephipany was not religion-based, yet you DID have Catholic parents. And you are now a believing Catholic? Or just not an atheist or agostic?

Old 11-17-2013, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
I agree - sometimes it is lack of maturity and not quite the same as pedophilia. Aside from the ages of the kids, I mean.
I used to work in the field of clinical social work (my training, etc.). Had one guy who was court ordered for therapy. I could not quite feel he was a pedophile or even exactly what I think of when you talk about a predator. He was maybe late 20's (I kind of forget), (in a helping profession that does involve risk to your life - it does take some courage and maybe some character) and he was in trouble for sex with a 13 year old girl who lived in his building. Sure, I know: Older man taking advantage of young teen girl. But he was also very, well, kind of "mama's boy" in his demeanor, and not your big tough guy by any long shot. Almost babyish! From this brief discussion, I am thinking that maybe my instincts were right: He felt safe and more age appropriate with a 13 year old. He said she wanted sex: Well, that is the usual line, of course, but maybe he couldn't see that she was just trying to please another person, etc. And that this was a mutually immature liaison. Do you see where I am going.....?

Old 11-17-2013, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Martha you should listen to Catholic radio when they have Sister Marian on. She converted from the Jewish faith and now she is a nun. I think her full title is Sister Marian of the Lamb of God. No, it didn't go will with her family. I am not sure if she wrote of her conversion or not.

I also don't know if there are agnostic Christians. After all, when one says the Apostles Creed it does say one believes in God and Jesus is His son and He was born of the virgin Mary, etc. It would be very hard to be a priest and be totally agnostic. We can all have doubts at times, even Mother Theresa did, but for the most part we believe.

As my hubby says. "Creation screams of a creator." Everywhere you look you can see God's hands as the creator.
Oh, I never do and never heard about her, consequently, but I can try! Very, very interesting. To me, truly astonishing, remarkable to have a Jewish woman convert and then enter the convent for life!!

I agree that to be a Christian, truly, truly, you must believe that Jesus was God. I would think so! I guess I am not really a Christian, then, but I do love the liturgy so much and sing in our choir. Oh, well.

Yes, to be a priest and totally agnostic: Why do that? Unless (this is crude) you are near retirement and you need that pension and lifestyle of protection. No joke.

I love what your husband says and I totally agree!!!! I am still a huge, huge doubter but I do feel all of the time as if God "is at my shoulder" (I hope)

Old 11-17-2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:
It was the work of the Holy Spirit. We don't look to the Pope or to any human for conversions, only the Holy Spirit can do that work. He may use men here on earth but ultimately it is the Holy Spirit moving in people that goes to their heart.
Not being the believer you are, I will say this: I do think that these things come from within and not just due to some external (I am not refuting the Holy Spirit) human reason.

Old 11-17-2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
It was the work of the Holy Spirit. We don't look to the Pope or to any human for conversions, only the Holy Spirit can do that work. He may use men here on earth but ultimately it is the Holy Spirit moving in people that goes to their heart.
Janelle,

I have, personally, had some totally non-religious "senses" or "knowing" that absolutely floor even someone like me, about my future and I often wonder about them.

I simply cannot get over it. It's like a premonition of my very own future. It's inexplicable. An inner knowing.

Old 11-17-2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Janelle:

I will try to explain this as best as I can. I grew up a believer because of my parents went to church every Sunday and I took Catechism. My parents were not intensely religious, but I remember going to mass and then having brunch or going to see my grandmother afterwards. I always remember Sundays as a special day and I use to wear my Sunday clothes.

As most teenagers do I lost interest in church as I reach the age 17-18 and coincidentally by parents stop attending mass on a regular basis. I then became aware of other religions and their zest to convert others. I told myself there is nothing cool about this.

As I studied more and more I convinced myself that the God story was probably a fairy tale and slowly became a non-believer, but this was a gradual change and I was not even aware of this change. There was no epiphany, it was a gradual understanding. I never thought about this and never discuss this with anyone. This was my very own personal belief system.

Then I grew up some more, had kids and immediately return to church. How could I deny my children what was given to me by my parents?

So to this day I say the Nicene creed and even bow when saying ""and by the Holy Spirit was incarnate of the Virgin Mary, and became man." And I believe there may be a creator after studying cosmology and physics.

I am a Catholic and go to mass every Sunday and it satisfies my needs as a human and it has become an important part of my life and family. I still have doubts about God , but I am a Christian and if the Jesus story is true or not true has become a moot point. From my point of view it is actually irrelevant. I am a Catholic and like the teachings of Jesus.

Eternal life or salvation are moot points. I would feel the same way regardless of salvation or no salvation. I enjoy being a Catholic and the religion is beautiful.

Some may say this is hypocrisy, but look at it from this point of view. It makes more sense to be a believer with a dose of agnosticism. Nevertheless, when I participate in the rites of the church I allow a transformation and for a few moments I am a mystic in contact with God. At that point my humanity is enhanced and that is all that matters. I am Christian with no expectations.
I cannot stand, cannot tolerate, the thought of not "existing" in some shape or form after death. (Ego maniac me<ggg>!) I want to be able to go on and on forever. I keep hoping that this will be in some form that a benevolent God will have planned for all of us. I NEED expectations!

Old 11-17-2013, 06:44 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,380,586 times
Quote:
I cannot stand, cannot tolerate, the thought of not "existing" in some shape or form after death. (Ego maniac me<ggg>!) I want to be able to go on and on forever. I keep hoping that this will be in some form that a benevolent God will have planned for all of us. I NEED expectations!
Living for an eternity with no challenges or direction could be boring.

But, don't despair, I think all of us are recycled back to this existence on a regular basis. MAN has a finite number of genes that can only be combined in a finite number of combinations. The number of combinations is high, but it is possible to have a Doppelgänger here and there (or in our past ) and likely in our future.

In fact, if you were to have all the photos of your ancestors for 10-15 generations you would find a Doppelgänger. The problems is that the soul will be different, but who is counting.

Do you go to sleep every night? What would happen if you don't wake up? Is that really that bad?

Old 11-17-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Living for an eternity with no challenges or direction could be boring.

But, don't despair, I think all of us are recycled back to this existence on a regular basis. MAN has a finite number of genes that can only be combined in a finite number of combinations. The number of combinations is high, but it is possible to have a Doppelgänger here and there (or in our past ) and likely in our future.

In fact, if you were to have all the photos of your ancestors for 10-15 generations you would find a Doppelgänger. The problems is that the soul will be different, but who is counting.

Do you go to sleep every night? What would happen if you don't wake up? Is that really that bad?
Yes, it is that bad! I simply am not comforted by the notion of just being "recycled". I want to know I can have my mother, my father, my late brother, etc. in my existence, no, not recycled, but THEM, again.

And this statement "Living for an eternity with no challenges or direction could be boring."leaves out the possibility that we will have a Creator who will certainly make sure we are not bored! You are applying the rules of this world to the next and that is not how I see it. He who made this world I think can solve the problem of boredom!

Old 11-17-2013, 10:35 PM

23,655 posts, read 17,565,596 times
Quote:
You know that term "follow the money" ? I think that this applies here more than people realize.
Most priests don't make money, they take a vow of poverty. Actually, this problem has caused the Church to lose millions of dollars and has shut down parishes to pay the law suits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity