Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2013, 06:17 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,401,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
I am a Christian who is pro-gay. But, in defense of the OP statement, semantically speaking, I think what they mean is they are trying to live their lives believing it's sinful, but society is "in their face" saying that it's quite normal and not sinful at all and should be accepted. Did I get that right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
I'm sure Christian slave owners who used the Bible to justify slavery felt the same way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Why are you trying to hijack the thread and change the topic?
I'm not hijacking the thread and changing the topic. It's called an analogy.

Christian slave owners probably felt they were being 'forced to accept' that slavery was no longer acceptable in society despite the fact that they were able to use the Bible to justify owning slaves.

Old 11-22-2013, 06:18 PM

1,507 posts, read 1,382,844 times
Quote:
You clearly didn't bother to read the article- it was far more in depth than simply looking up a biblical lexicon.
Hey, at least he's "trying" to look beyond the normal English bible translations. That's way better than some of these people that come in not reading the thread at all and then just post all the traditional "Gay bash" verses in English as if that's all they need to do ;p I'm still waiting for someone to wise up and pull the Gagnon card so this at least becomes interesting.

Old 11-22-2013, 06:22 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,938,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Many questions go unanswered or avoided. It is not surprising.
It's almost Christian like, isn't it?

Old 11-22-2013, 06:33 PM

618 posts, read 541,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael17 View Post
I am of the opinion that children should not be indoctrinated at public schools into any belief that isn't a verifiable fact..
With all due respect, I don't think the problem with this philosophy is a matter of "right" or "wrong," so much as one of practicality. A public school must accommodate all students. If students are permitted to act on their distain for any particular group, then the rights of the students within that group are being violated. Requiring tolerance is the only workable solution. Remember also that you have to give what you take. I do not believe that a child should be bullied for being a Christian, therefore I do not believe that a student should be bullied for being gay (or anything else). That seems a reasonable compromise. If your beliefs forbid you from making that compromise, then the burden must necessarily fall to you to make other arrangements.

Old 11-22-2013, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
He is not. He's just pointing out that if the Bible is used to justify one thing, then it becomes an open target for others.

Funny no one responded to by quotes of all the stoning prescribed in the bible.
I'm a "she" btw, but no matter.

I was also pointing out that as society changes, so does people's interpretations of the biblical texts.

I doubt we would find many Christians in the 21st century who would advocate for owning blacks as slaves. Yet there were many Christians who DID use the Bible to justify owning slaves. It was preached from many pulpits at the time.

Instead, we find Christian Apologists now trying to play down the fact that the Bible condones slavery by trying to convince themselves that slavery in the Bible was like having a "servant" or "bondsperson" who was "part of the family"- when that is clearly not the case at all especially with foreign slaves.

Many Christians are now putting the handful of 'gay-bashing' verses back into their original cultural contexts- which have little or nothing at all to do with homosexuals and more to do with idolatrous pagan worshipping practices of fertility gods, male temple prostitutes, rape of strangers etc.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:00 PM

63,907 posts, read 40,187,366 times
Quote:
Many Christians are now putting the handful of 'gay-bashing' verses back into their original cultural contexts- which have little or nothing at all to do with homosexuals and more to do with idolatrous pagan worshipping practices of fertility gods, male temple prostitutes, rape of strangers etc.
It has always been about what is in the mind . . . the motivations and intent . . . that were offensive.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrhockney View Post
Hey, at least he's "trying" to look beyond the normal English bible translations. That's way better than some of these people that come in not reading the thread at all and then just post all the traditional "Gay bash" verses in English as if that's all they need to do ;p I'm still waiting for someone to wise up and pull the Gagnon card so this at least becomes interesting.
You mean the extremely anti-gay Robert Gagnon saying this?

I do not doubt that the circles out of which Lev 18:22 was produced had in view homosexual cult prostitution, at least partly. Homosexual cult prostitution appears to have been the primary form in which homosexual intercourse was practiced in Israel.” The Bible And Homosexual Practice, p. 130.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:01 PM

33,569 posts, read 37,185,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
You don't believe rewriting marriage laws in order to suit a very small minority is forcing something on the other 98%?

Or by brainwashing our kids in the public school system and telling them that a deviant sexual behavior is good and moral?
This....is why you're often called intolerant and a bigot...There is no way homosexuality is being forced on you or anyone else....I'm not sure where you are getting your information about what schools teach, but teaching kids that gays exist and are actually people the same as anyone else helps prevent bullying and bigotry....I think that is the good and moral thing to do.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Many questions go unanswered or avoided. It is not surprising.
Especially inconvenient ones which show just how hypocritical using the Bible to justify personal prejudice can be.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:15 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,224,648 times
Quote:
I'm a "she" btw, but no matter.

I was also pointing out that as society changes, so does people's interpretations of the biblical texts.

I doubt we would find many Christians in the 21st century who would advocate for owning blacks as slaves. Yet there were many Christians who DID use the Bible to justify owning slaves. It was preached from many pulpits at the time.
I'm old enough to remember some Christians using the Bible to justify making African-Americans sit in the back of the bus.

Those same Bible-quoting right-wing Americans were extremely upset when black American citizens used the First Amendment to protest having to sit in the back of the bus. They showed just how upset they were by using fire hoses and attack dogs on those black citizens. And anyone who protested with them.

Funny how the religious right contributes to demonstrate that they want to use the First Amendment, but they don't anyone else using it. Now they're trying to tell the LGBT community that they don't have the right to use it. Same old, same old. They're still trying to silence anyone who disagrees with them.

Though the "they're saying mean things about us because we're Christians" angle is new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity