Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 06:50 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,860,659 times

Advertisements

Our temporary body or outward man, will be consumed and left behind in this world. Our permanent inner man; the heart and soul, will continue on in eternity.

People spend lifetimes cultivating, grooming and training the outward man to appear and behave like a socially acceptable, ‘good person.’ The inner man; the part that others do not see (except, as a reflection) is often ignored and overlooked.

God could simply instruct mindless flesh ‘tap dance on the ceiling’ … if ‘good behavior’ was His only purpose. God instead seeks and covets man’s conscious submission and obedience of his permanent inner man, ( The outward man will follow the heart, mind and soul; not vice-versa.)

“‘These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me.” (Matt. 15:8)

“You are like whitewashed tombs, which look beautiful on the outside but on the inside are full of the bones of the dead and everything unclean. “ (Matt 23:27).

“The Word of God divides soul and spirit from joint and marrow” (Heb 4:12)

“Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.” (Lk 10:27)

“God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in the Spirit and in truth.” (Jn. 4:24)

How can we focus less on our appearance, words and behavior; and more on training our inner man to respond to God?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 07:09 AM

37,340 posts, read 28,350,979 times
For me,it is by continually considering and focusing upon who God says I am( who calls the things that are not as though they were)so much so that I'm convinced of it. For I am convinced without a shadow of doubt I cannot be anything other than what I believe I am, and be anything other than that which I continually behold.

Old 12-07-2013, 09:34 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,855,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
How can we focus less on our appearance, words and behavior; and more on training our inner man to respond to God? [/b]
If your life is more in the world you will be more of the world. Now I gotta say, the world ain't all bad and church ain't all good.

*Belong to a Church where you can find spiritual feeding
*Have an accountability partner
*Find out what your spiritual gifts are and share them
*Join a small group that enjoys what you enjoy. Example... I fish, dive and hunt. I like guns, tools, trucks, dirt bikes/motorcycles and go fast cars. My group would do/share these things together, so we were not only spiritually yoked, but our hobbies and activities were common. Makes getting together fun! Gotta take care of the human part too, and almost forgot, include food!
* Invite a non believer to your fun stuff so we don't seem so... you know, self righteous.

We can not divide the flesh from the spirit so feed both. Enjoy life, let others see you doing it, invite them and have a servant attitude.

...just sayin'

Old 12-07-2013, 04:13 PM

546 posts, read 548,193 times
How can we focus less on our appearance, words and behavior; and more on training our inner man to respond to God?

The best answer that I know of is to follow what Jesus said. Jesus didn't focus on no-no's so much, as He gave answers that provided what we need, but only if we have ears to hear. I certainly don't consider myself an expert in the things He spoke of, but as every day passes, I'm gaining experience. And the experience I gain is tailor made just for me. My answers don't apply exactly to anyone else, and vise-versa.

In the area of your question jghorton, I can quote a scripture that was written many times in the Gospels. But first of all, we need to recognize that Jesus and the writers of the Bible divided the human into different elements, like heart, soul, spirit, flesh, body, etc. And each writer didn't necessarily have the identical meaning for the same word. I personally believe that we are composed of Body, soul, and Spirit; the soul being the will, emotion, and mind within us. It is our electronic circuitry, if you will, and it is the part of our being that we control. The heart is a decision place within us, and it shows our true intention. The flesh is almost synonymous with the soul, but it leans more towards our lusts and desires. Sticking with the basics of body, soul, and Spirit has helped me see that the human is much like a computer, (or should I say that computers are actually copies of the human). The body is the physical case that holds the electronics. The soul is the mental decision part, and the Spirit is given by God and directs us as to what is really Godly. It's kind of like a security program that warns us of a virus that is trying to enter our circuitry. But our soul (our circuitry), is able to over-ride the warning of the security program if it wishes.

The whole object of our lives is to learn to follow the things of the Spirit, and reject the things that are not from God, or set up from God. Specifics, like, "should I hunt", "should I spend money on something", or should I help", therefore are not directly answered by Jesus in scripture, and the Spirit is to be our guide. These answers have to be applied to each individual on a personal basis, (sometimes group basis), but there's usually no universal answer. One of the keys is, "does it violate God's original law?" And even those laws are to be answered by individual revelation with the help of the Word and the Spirit.

But back to the question at hand, the problem with our beings is the soul, (because that's where we decide to rebel or follow),and learning to follow the Spirit, (which is a soul-decision process). Jesus was specific here, and He said, "And when he had called the people unto him with his disciples also, he said unto them, Whosoever will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the gospel's, the same shall save it. For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?" Mark 8:34-36. It is very important in these verses, (and the synonymous verses), that we realize that the word translated "life" is actually the Greek word 'psuche', which means 'soul'. Dig deep into what the Spirit says here, and you will find the path to what you seek.

Old 12-07-2013, 05:17 PM

12 posts, read 9,365 times
Quote:
What works for me is prayer and bible reading. Prayer opens the communication channel between God and myself and then the bible communicates to me His desires.

Old 12-07-2013, 05:29 PM

Really some good, meaty answers thus far!

It's interesting how when we get to discussing various 'Christian nits,' everyone has an opinion. But, when we really dig into some of the more pivotal aspects of the Christian faith ... the number of folks willing to chime-in really dwindles down.

Old 12-07-2013, 05:52 PM

12 posts, read 9,365 times
Quote:
Really some good, meaty answers thus far!

It's interesting how when we get to discussing various 'Christian nits,' everyone has an opinion. But, when we really dig into some of the more pivotal aspects of the Christian faith ... the number of folks willing to chime-in really dwindles down.
In bible study the teacher said an electric circuit requires 4 components:
1. Power Source=Generator=GOD
2. Path=Wires=Holy Spirit
3. Control=Switch=Prayer + Bible
4. Load=Light Bulb=Believers
He diagrammed it out on the chalkboard and each of us copied it in our bibles. For a long time every time I'd turn on a light I'd think of that.

So far no short circuits either!

Old 12-07-2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpethim View Post

The best answer that I know of is to follow what Jesus said. Jesus didn't focus on no-no's so much, as He gave answers that provided what we need, but only if we have ears to hear. I certainly don't consider myself an expert in the things He spoke of, but as every day passes, I'm gaining experience. And the experience I gain is tailor made just for me. My answers don't apply exactly to anyone else, and vise-versa.

In the area of your question jghorton, I can quote a scripture that was written many times in the Gospels. But first of all, we need to recognize that Jesus and the writers of the Bible divided the human into different elements, like heart, soul, spirit, flesh, body, etc. And each writer didn't necessarily have the identical meaning for the same word. I personally believe that we are composed of Body, soul, and Spirit; the soul being the will, emotion, and mind within us. It is our electronic circuitry, if you will, and it is the part of our being that we control. The heart is a decision place within us, and it shows our true intention. The flesh is almost synonymous with the soul, but it leans more towards our lusts and desires. Sticking with the basics of body, soul, and Spirit has helped me see that the human is much like a computer, (or should I say that computers are actually copies of the human). The body is the physical case that holds the electronics. The soul is the mental decision part, and the Spirit is given by God and directs us as to what is really Godly. It's kind of like a security program that warns us of a virus that is trying to enter our circuitry. But our soul (our circuitry), is able to over-ride the warning of the security program if it wishes.

The whole object of our lives is to learn to follow the things of the Spirit, and reject the things that are not from God, or set up from God. Specifics, like, "should I hunt", "should I spend money on something", or should I help", therefore are not directly answered by Jesus in scripture, and the Spirit is to be our guide. These answers have to be applied to each individual on a personal basis, (sometimes group basis), but there's usually no universal answer. One of the keys is, "does it violate God's original law?" And even those laws are to be answered by individual revelation with the help of the Word and the Spirit.

But back to the question at hand, the problem with our beings is the soul, (because that's where we decide to rebel or follow),and learning to follow the Spirit, (which is a soul-decision process). Jesus was specific here, and He said, "And when he had called the people unto him with his disciples also, he said unto them, Whosoever will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the gospel's, the same shall save it. For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?" Mark 8:34-36. It is very important in these verses, (and the synonymous verses), that we realize that the word translated "life" is actually the Greek word 'psuche', which means 'soul'. Dig deep into what the Spirit says here, and you will find the path to what you seek.
Haven't seen you much out here on the CD Christian forum, but, you've provided much more than a casual response. Hope you stay with us on this forum! Good thinking and response!

Old 12-07-2013, 07:25 PM

33,334 posts, read 26,546,630 times
Quote:
Our temporary body or outward man, will be consumed and left behind in this world. Our permanent inner man; the heart and soul, will continue on in eternity.

People spend lifetimes cultivating, grooming and training the outward man to appear and behave like a socially acceptable, ‘good person.’ The inner man; the part that others do not see (except, as a reflection) is often ignored and overlooked.

God could simply instruct mindless flesh ‘tap dance on the ceiling’ … if ‘good behavior’ was His only purpose. God instead seeks and covets man’s conscious submission and obedience of his permanent inner man, ( The outward man will follow the heart, mind and soul; not vice-versa.)

“‘These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me.” (Matt. 15:8)

“You are like whitewashed tombs, which look beautiful on the outside but on the inside are full of the bones of the dead and everything unclean. “ (Matt 23:27).

“The Word of God divides soul and spirit from joint and marrow” (Heb 4:12)

“Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.” (Lk 10:27)

“God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in the Spirit and in truth.” (Jn. 4:24)

Spiritual training and advance must be in accordance with God's established procedure. The believer must first recognize the importance of spiritual growth and care enough about it to give his spiritual life top priority. And that means giving the Word of God top priority in life. You must motivate yourself to study and apply God's word.

We as believers are commanded to renovate our mind which is the thinking part of the soul, and by that be transformed, and not conformed to this world.
Romans 12:2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.
We are commanded to grow in grace and in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior.
2 Peter 3:17 You therefore, beloved, knowing this beforehand, be on your guard so that you are not carried away by the error of unprincipled men and fall from your own steadfastness, 18] but grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory, both now and to the day of eternity. Amen.
The apostle Paul with regard to his spiritual life spoke of running a race in such a way as to win. And of disciplining his body and making it his slave so as not to be disqualified (1 Corinthians 9:24-27). He wasn't speaking of the possibility of losing his salvation, but to lose the blessings that accompany spiritual maturity. He was in a race with himself to get to the high ground of spiritual maturity. At the end of his life he was able to say,
I have fought the good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept the faith; in the future there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day; and not only to me, but also to all who have loved His appearing. 2 Tim. 4:7-8
To focus on training our inner man then, and growing spiritually, of being more responsive to God, we must take it upon ourselves to apply that focus to the objective. Just do it. Discipline yourself. Motivate yourself. Spiritual self-discipline. We are each personally responsible for our own spiritual life and advance. God provided the spiritual operating assets by which we can progress spiritually. . . the Mentorship of the Holy Spirit, the written Word, the pastor/teacher. It is a matter of using them.

Old 12-08-2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post

Spiritual training and advance must be in accordance with God's established procedure. The believer must first recognize the importance of spiritual growth and care enough about it to give his spiritual life top priority. And that means giving the Word of God top priority in life. You must motivate yourself to study and apply God's word.

We as believers are commanded to renovate our mind which is the thinking part of the soul, and by that be transformed, and not conformed to this world.
Romans 12:2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.
We are commanded to grow in grace and in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior.
2 Peter 3:17 You therefore, beloved, knowing this beforehand, be on your guard so that you are not carried away by the error of unprincipled men and fall from your own steadfastness, 18] but grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory, both now and to the day of eternity. Amen.
The apostle Paul with regard to his spiritual life spoke of running a race in such a way as to win. And of disciplining his body and making it his slave so as not to be disqualified (1 Corinthians 9:24-27). He wasn't speaking of the possibility of losing his salvation, but to lose the blessings that accompany spiritual maturity. He was in a race with himself to get to the high ground of spiritual maturity. At the end of his life he was able to say,
I have fought the good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept the faith; in the future there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day; and not only to me, but also to all who have loved His appearing. 2 Tim. 4:7-8
To focus on training our inner man then, and growing spiritually, of being more responsive to God, we must take it upon ourselves to apply that focus to the objective. Just do it. Discipline yourself. Motivate yourself. Spiritual self-discipline. We are each personally responsible for our own spiritual life and advance. God provided the spiritual operating assets by which we can progress spiritually. . . the Mentorship of the Holy Spirit, the written Word, the pastor/teacher. It is a matter of using them.
Thanks Mike, ... As usual, Excellent post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity