Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 05:08 AM

34 posts, read 34,252 times

Advertisements

What did everybody think of the recent debate? I didn't get to see it, but have heard that it sounds like Nye posed several questions that seemed to stump Ham. Any other feedback or critique of the debate would be nice, as I mentioned I did not yet get to view it.

For example, "how if Kangaroos got off the Ark in the middle east, why are they only in Australia, and not even a fossil of one anywhere else?"

What does everybody think of the answer to this question. Being a Christian, I could care less about the fundamentals of evolution, but I'm curious to know answers like this, as I want to be able to defend my faith if I ever happen to be in a discussion with a evolutionist.

The last couple of months, I have really started diving into the bible, and my faith has been strengthened so much. Please pray for me to continue my journey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 05:37 AM

2,436 posts, read 1,452,676 times
One thing I hate about debates like this, is it's hard to respond to everything asked in the rebuttals. Debaters tend to stick with what they came in to debate, and aren't flexible when new questions arise. I saw this on both sides. Nye asked Ham if his model could predict anything, and Ham just stuck to a creationist can do observable science. (Ham did mention that creationism made predictions, but the things he listed weren't really convincing to the scientific mind.) While Ham brought the horizon problem for the Big Bang, and Nye didn't respond to that one at all. (Though I know the explanation scientists give to fix this, but that explanation hasn't been proven and perhaps can't be)

As for what I thought about the debate, I felt like Ken Ham conceded to Nye's points that you couldn't prove creationism. I disagree with that personally. If creationism is true, there will be evidence for it. Nye kept asking Ham if the creation model can make predictions, and his answers seemed like tap dancing.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:43 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRSTL13 View Post
What did everybody think of the recent debate? I didn't get to see it, but have heard that it sounds like Nye posed several questions that seemed to stump Ham. Any other feedback or critique of the debate would be nice, as I mentioned I did not yet get to view it.

For example, "how if Kangaroos got off the Ark in the middle east, why are they only in Australia, and not even a fossil of one anywhere else?"

What does everybody think of the answer to this question. Being a Christian, I could care less about the fundamentals of evolution, but I'm curious to know answers like this, as I want to be able to defend my faith if I ever happen to be in a discussion with a evolutionist.

The last couple of months, I have really started diving into the bible, and my faith has been strengthened so much. Please pray for me to continue my journey.
Ham did answer that question, and he used the same argument he used through the whole debate, which was that we can only observe the evidence we see today, but we were not in the past to observe what happened then. For example, we know the continents are drifting apart extremely slowly, and if the speed had always been the same, it would have taken millions of years, not 4000 years. However, the Bible seems to suggest there was a catastrophic opening of the earths crust ("on that day all the springs of the great deep burst forth"), during the flood, and most of the movement could have happened during, and soon after the flood. The Kangoroo's would have found themselves on the Australian continent, which was quickly moving away.

I think the debate would have been more interesting between Nye and Stephen Meyer, a creationist scientists. Ken Ham is not a scientist.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:10 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,500,276 times
I watched it and it still comes down to the fact that one can't by their own reason or strength come to believe in God.

Repeatedly Bill Nye showed his distain \ mockery towards the Bible (as many do here) concerning the accuracy of it, the authorship of Bible along with out of hand discrediting of anybody who dares to associate themselves with the Bible. Nye in so many words insulted anybody from Kentucky (and any Christian) by inferring that if you believe the Bible, then you're risking the future of the US as being a leader in the world in several ways.

Old 02-06-2014, 11:24 AM

33,279 posts, read 26,477,412 times
Quote:

You can view it here.

Bill Nye Debates Ken Ham - HD - YouTube

Fossilization is a rare or relatively rare event and requires certain conditions to occur. Here are a couple of non-Christian sites regarding fossilization.

How Does Fossilization Occur? | eHow

Fossilization, How Do Fossils Form

However, Genesis 6:20 says - Of the birds after their kind, and of the animals after their kind, of every creeping thing of the ground after its kind, two of every kind will come to you to keep them alive.

God brought the animals to Noah.

Why are Kangaroos found only in Australia? Because Australia is geologically isolated from the rest of the world. So how did they get to Australia from the Ark? In the same way that they were brought to the ark. By means of God. A person who can think only in naturalistic terms, who does not believe in God, or does not believe in the supernatural or in miracles will not understand or accept this however.

The debate addressed the issue of the age of the earth. I am not, and never have been a young earth creationist. The Bible does not teach that the earth is only a few thousand years old. While the events in Genesis 1:2b and following took place in six literal 24 hour days, these events do not speak of the original creation of the heavens and the earth which is mentioned in Genesis 1:1.

I hold to the ruin-restoration gap view. These two sites address that. Since the first site may be a King James only site, I will state that I am not a King James only advocate. I simply post it because it concerns the ruin-restoration view of which I am speaking. One need not be a King James only advocate to accept the ruin-restoration gap view.

The Gap Theory interpretation of Genesis

Gap Theory of Genesis Creation | Learn The Bible

Old 02-06-2014, 11:53 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,992,755 times
Quote:

I think it would be best for you to look at the debate yourself before you post up any conclusions about this debate because there were a number of questions that Nye struggled with, especially those coming from audience members.

• He was not able to explain where human consciousness originates from.
  • He was not able to explain where the atoms that created the Big Bang originated from.
  • He did not confirm or deny a deity creating these atoms.
  • He never addressed the point that was brought up about how there haven't been any rocks that have the same age as the earth (the age that he noted it to be).
  • He constantly expected that Ham's assertion be proven by forming a prediction, yet the assertion he was used, do not actually point to a single causation of life
  • He did not address how energy causes life.

I will just leave it like that, but I think depending on what you thought before, you just probably had your opinion reaffirmed.

Old 02-06-2014, 12:51 PM

22,923 posts, read 28,293,525 times

Old 02-06-2014, 12:56 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,995,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
I think it would be best for you to look at the debate yourself before you post up any conclusions about this debate because there were a number of questions that Nye struggled with, especially those coming from audience members.

• He was not able to explain where human consciousness originates from.
  • He was not able to explain where the atoms that created the Big Bang originated from.
  • He did not confirm or deny a deity creating these atoms.
  • He never addressed the point that was brought up about how there haven't been any rocks that have the same age as the earth (the age that he noted it to be).
  • He constantly expected that Ham's assertion be proven by forming a prediction, yet the assertion he was used, do not actually point to a single causation of life
  • He did not address how energy causes life.

I will just leave it like that, but I think depending on what you thought before, you just probably had your opinion reaffirmed.

What do any of those have to do with evolution?

Old 02-06-2014, 01:07 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,204,963 times
Quote:

Lions roamed the plains of Africa....but we don't find a lot of fossils comparatively. Yay.
Quote:

I think Nye got asked a few questions that he couldn't answer...but he ignored. Honestly...I blame the debate format. I think having a time of cross examination where one could question directly the other would have been more interesting and gotten more accomplished.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:08 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,204,963 times
That picture is COMPLETELY FALSE. Ham spent 2 hours trying to explain that yes--we actually do like science.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity