Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2014, 12:24 PM

63,944 posts, read 40,226,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I'm not sure why PastorAl felt he had to take something off the internet as we've been joined by an obviously spirit-filled Pentecostal who seems to have a great command of the language, access to the internet and who would probably be happy to answer any and all questions about her faith. (As Katzpur does. She too has had to respond to posts containing false information made about her faith made by non-Mormons.)
I would echo this call for respecting the sincerity of JBrown, Dew . . . (as I have done by withdrawing from confronting her beliefs directly). She is obviously spirit-filled and full of love for those of us who disagree with her beliefs. It is important to let each of us here present our beliefs . . . not try to impugn our beliefs using external sources. Katz has had to contend with that repeatedly here . . . and it is simply not Christian!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 04:33 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,090,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown0830 View Post
Obviously you must have gone to a church that forced beliefs down your throat. I know a lot of churches like that. And guess what? They aren't all Pentecostal churches.

Make a thread about it.

I was speaking about your rant at alLY...This is the type one foinds in AoG andUPC and Oneness...It is zeal without knowledge...It turns people off...

Old 02-10-2014, 05:47 PM

439 posts, read 427,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Scriptural proof?...And no he wasn't wrong...
You want scriptural proof of what? That speaking in tongues is still in operation today? If that's the case, I say, show me proof that it isn't!

Quote:
Moderator cut: Orphaned
Moderator cut: Orphaned response

Last edited by june 7th; 02-13-2014 at 06:14 AM..

Old 02-10-2014, 06:27 PM

Quote:
You want scriptural proof of what? That speaking in tongues is still in operation today? If that's the case, I say, show me proof that it isn't!

Moderator cut: Orphaned
I spent over 8 years az a Pentecostal...You. can't tell me anything about it I don't know...Tongues were for the purpose of establishing the fledgling church, not for someone to feel holier then though...Today's tongues are complete babble...It is spiritual immaturity...

Last edited by june 7th; 02-13-2014 at 06:15 AM..

Old 02-10-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:
I spent over 8 years az a Pentecostal...You. can't tell me anything about it I don't know...Tongues were for the purpose of establishing the fledgling church, not for someone to feel holier then though...Today's tongues are complete babble...It is spiritual immaturity...
Wow. Someone must have really done you wrong.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Wow. Someone must have really done you wrong.
No, not really...I found things that were in the bible were contradicting what they were teaching me...As I grew spiritually and in knowledge I realized that they were spiritually immature but thought they were superior...They attempted to teach me how to speak in tongues...One cannot remain on milk forever, there must be meat in the spiritual diet...I say Yeshua did not abolish the Law, He upheld it...I do not buy into organized religion...If I see proof that does not gel with what I have been taught, then I must change or confess that I really do not seek Truth...

Old 02-11-2014, 11:36 AM

1,413 posts, read 2,467,552 times
Quote:
Scriptural proof?...And no he wasn't wrong...
What scriptural proof do you want? Speaking in tongues? Holy Spirit Baptism?

And yes, the Pentecostal Church my friends belong to women go with jeans/tattoos/casual. Not sure what a Penetecostal Oneness Church does, but we have several friends and family members who attend Pentecostal Churches . . . and none of those rules quoted apply to these churches.

As far as tongues goes, it's not a denominational issue, there are Catholics, Lutherans, Seven Day Adventists, etc. etc. even some Baptists I know that believe that ALL THE GIFTS are still here and did not cease . . . . if one gift ceased then they all ceased . . .and that as we know is not the case.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesigns64 View Post
What scriptural proof do you want? Speaking in tongues? Holy Spirit Baptism?

And yes, the Pentecostal Church my friends belong to women go with jeans/tattoos/casual. Not sure what a Penetecostal Oneness Church does, but we have several friends and family members who attend Pentecostal Churches . . . and none of those rules quoted apply to these churches.

As far as tongues goes, it's not a denominational issue, there are Catholics, Lutherans, Seven Day Adventists, etc. etc. even some Baptists I know that believe that ALL THE GIFTS are still here and did not cease . . . . if one gift ceased then they all ceased . . .and that as we know is not the case.
Ok...Sure...

Old 02-11-2014, 04:04 PM

Back to the real subject at hand... I'd like to share some undeniable proof with you guys. I'm sure someone will try and find a way to twist the scriptures. I would like to see proof, scriptures in context, if someone disagrees with what I'm posting...

(Click on the chapter titles to see them in context and at the bottom of each scripture I will include the Strong's Concordance)

Mark 16:15-20 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. 16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. 17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; 18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover. 19 So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God. 20 And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following. Amen.
(Strong's)
(Baptize - to immerse, to submerge)

Here's a brief summary of what was just read: Jesus told His disciples to go preach the gospel to the world. Everyone that believes and is baptized will be saved. But if they don't believe they will not make heaven. The signs that will follow the believer are casting out devils in His name and speaking with NEW tongues. Then the disciples went forth and began to preach everywhere, with the Lord working with them, CONFIRMING the word WITH the signs following.
- The first thing I would like to address is, Jesus told them to go into all the world and preach the gospel, the good news, to every creature. His word is final, without error, no take backs and no reconsideration's at any time. If He said go into all the world, that means go, don't stop preaching this gospel at ANY TIME. Preach it to every creature, don't focus on one single nation. Go everywhere, to everyone, doesn't matter the age, race or gender and there is no point at which you stop, He said go into all the world! Now we know these "signs" have not ceased, at ANY POINT!
- We see two definites here: 1. They confirmed the words that Jesus spoke which were - believe (along with the signs) and baptism. If "confirming the word" wasn't enough to prove what happened, they threw in three more words (after the previous three were evident) for the naysayers... 2. "with signs following". With, meaning: accompanied, by having, in conjunction.
- If I told you I ate a pizza with pepperoni, do you assume my pizza would be without pepperoni?
I know some of you will bring up verse 18, so let's expand on that. Jesus said to believe and be baptized to be saved. So let's say I believed and was baptized, therefore, I am now saved. I am covered by the blood of Jesus, I am a child of God. Do you think He would neglect His child? Do you think He would allow harm to me? No. If I were to pick up a serpent I would be safe. Does that mean I should go picking up serpents to test my fate? No.
- Paul was biten in Acts 28. He shook off the venomous snake into the fire. They sat and watched for him to feel the effects but nothing happened. He was protected by the grace of God
- Also keep in mind, "serpents" isn't just referring to snakes. This is also referring to evil, devils, demons, etc. We will be able to take hold of those serpents and through the name of Jesus we will not be harmed by them and we will loose those powers that bind.
Look at the rest of that verse... If you were to drink any deadly thing you would not be harmed. Would you willingly drink something deadly? No. But, if you did, He would protect you. Then, if you lay hands on the sick they will recover. Did you just perform that miracle? No. He performed that miracle but He used you, His child, as a vessel. So look at it this way, if harm comes to you He will protect you, also, you can do great things through Him because you are now His, and He lives in you. You have power and authority when you call on His name.

Luke 24:44 And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me. 45 Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures, 46 And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behooved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day: 47 And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. 48 And ye are witnesses of these things. 49 And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high.
(Strong's)
- I would like for you to notice verse 47, repentance and remission of sins are to be preached. You will see just a little further down I will show you that remission of sins happens when you are baptized in the name of Jesus Christ (Acts 2:38).
- In verse 49 He says He sends the promise. I will also show you further down where we see what the promise is (Acts 2:39).
- Notice the wording in verse 49, "the promise". It doesn't say a promise, which would lead us to believe it could be anything and could be taken out of context and make it more confusing. No, it says THE promise. There will only be ONE promise given to us. And we will see how all this ties together in a moment.
- Let's back it up for just a moment and look at verse 48. And you are witnesses of these things. How can you be a witness? In order to be a witness you have to see evidence, a sign. "Of these things" it says. Not singular, plural, AND they are going to be a witness of them, they will see the signs of these things. Let me paraphrase as I read verse 48 into verse 49... You are a witness, you will see evidence of these things and behold (see, look) I send the promise. Why did Jesus say behold if you can't actually see "the promise"?
- The NLT says "I will send the Holy Spirit, just as my Father promised"
Acts 1 (I'm just going to choose a few scriptures, click on the chapter title link to see the entirety.)
...they should not depart from Jerusalem, but wait for the promise of the Father...

John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence

...ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me...unto the uttermost part of the earth.
(Strong's)

Grand finale... Drum roll please...

Acts 2
4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
21 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.
32 This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses.
33 Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear.
37 ...Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
44 And all that believed were together, and had all things common;
(Strong's)
(Baptized for the remission of sins - release from bondage or imprisonment, forgiveness or pardon, of sins (letting them go as if they had never been committed), remission of the penalty)

Are you seeing it now??? This is the true meaning of "calling on His name" and "believing on Him" to be saved. Look for yourself:

Acts 16:31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house. 32 And they spake unto him the word of the Lord, and to all that were in his house. 33 And he took them the same hour of the night, and washed their stripes; and was baptized, he and all his, straightway.[indent]- Remember what the "word of the Lord" is?? Go back up and read Mark 16:15-20

Moderator cut: deletion

A SCRIPTURE THAT MAY TO SEEM TO APPEAR AS IF IT CONTRADICTS ACTS 2:38 -

Matt 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.
- Keep in mind, the disciples knew Jesus was God, manifest in the flesh. They only knew Him by one name. And what did they call Him? ...Jesus! A quote from a disciple, when he saw Jesus he said, “My Lord and my God!” So when Jesus said to baptize in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost", they didn't question Jesus because the disciples knew there was only ONE name. And that name was Jesus. And notice how the scripture says "baptize them in the name" not the names. So we have a singular name, not plural, which if it Jesus said "names" then the disciples would have been very confused because they only knew Him to be one person and by one name. So now you see in Acts 2:38 the disciples say "in the name of Jesus Christ" and not in the names, "of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost". Make sense??
Verse 20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.
- This speaks volumes! DO ALL THINGS I COMMANDED YOU! EVEN UNTIL THE END OF THE WORLD!! This is ANOTHER verification tongues, miracles, wonders, prophecies, wisdom, knowledge, etc. have not ceased or have been done away with.
I will leave you with this... I can't repeat this scripture enough. EVERYONE needs to get this in their heart and truly understand what Jesus is commanding. He makes it plain as day. There are no exceptions. This isn't my way of trying to convert you. I TRULY am concerned for those who don't see this. I fear for their eternal salvation. Please please please take what you've read and reeeeeally think about it. You MUST believe, let go of all those doubts. Remember, Jesus asked Nicodemus, you are a master (teacher) of Israel and I tell you these things will happen and yet you don't believe?? Jesus Himself spoke these words face to face with an intelligent man and yet he still doubted. WE. CAN'T. DO. THAT. Our souls hang in the balance! We have to wake up, do as He told us to do and spread this gospel just like Jesus commanded us to do!
John 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
(Strong's)

Last edited by june 7th; 02-12-2014 at 03:33 PM.. Reason: Per member's request.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:16 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,467,552 times
Quote:
Ok...Sure...
Sure what? What I stated about the Penetecostal Churches I know of? Look I have no affiliation immediate affiliation to Penetcostal Churches.

I was raised Catholic . . . then pretty much agnostic for my 20's and 30's . . .

If you want scripture on the other topics I asked you about, I'd be happy to provide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity