Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 03:50 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,451,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondD View Post
I have to agree that what is so annoying is when someone anyone tries to cram their religion down my throat and make me see the error of my ways and convert me to their way of thinking. To me, that is disrespectful. It says "you are too stupid to know what you are doing so I will explain it to you and when you have enough sense you will see things my way and join my church."

I have tried various approaches to aggressive conversion types including friends, relatives, door-to-door church types. One response used to be, "Let's make a deal, you don't try to cram your religion down my throat, and I won't try to cram mine down your throat." But then they wanted to "debate" and play Bible trivia quotes. Another response was "I have a spiritual life I am very happy with" which should be enough to get the message across, but NOoooooooo, they want to know what it is and tell me why it is wrong for me and not as good as theirs. Sometimes I say "I already have a personal relationship with God thank you very much," followed by a firm shutting of the door or conversation. These days it's just a smile and "Not interested, thank you very much, gotta go."

How is saying "Merry Christmas" cramming religion down your throat? I don't understand your argument as far as how that applies to this topic. We're not discussing how to pi*s off seculars and those of other religions by trying to convert them when clearly they don't wish to hear it. This topic, this particular topic, I'd like to remind folks yet again, is about how I heard "Merry Christmas" at a Home Depot. That's it. Really. I promise. There was nothing sinister in intent, there was no hidden message about Christianity, conversion, or otherwise. I just liked hearing Merry Christmas for a change.

You people could drive a girl to drink some seriously spiked egg nog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 03:53 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,655,956 times
mom2feeds, this has happened to me sooo many times (i start a thread and somehow it changes into craziness). it's just how it works on cd!
p.s. merry christmas! again!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
How is saying "Merry Christmas" cramming religion down your throat? I don't understand your argument as far as how that applies to this topic. We're not discussing how to pi*s off seculars and those of other religions by trying to convert them when clearly they don't wish to hear it. This topic, this particular topic, I'd like to remind folks yet again, is about how I heard "Merry Christmas" at a Home Depot. That's it. Really. I promise. There was nothing sinister in intent, there was no hidden message about Christianity, conversion, or otherwise. I just liked hearing Merry Christmas for a change.

You people could drive a girl to drink some seriously spiked egg nog.

Old 12-04-2007, 04:19 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,451,370 times
Oh, it's about to get real merry up in here!! LOL! I got a hold of the egg nog.

(I'll have to pretend I'm drinking it spiked though, on account of my, uh, delicate condition. )

Old 12-04-2007, 04:20 PM

1,197 posts, read 3,589,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damartinez796 View Post
IT'S NOT SPIRITUAL IN ANY WAY FORM OR FASHION IT'S MAN MADE BY PAGANS AND THE TRUTH HIRTS.THE POWERS THAT BE RELY ON THE CELEBRATIONS OF THE TALES OF XMAS,EASTER,HALLOWEEN,AND THANKSGIVING FOR THE PURPOSE OF GENARATING MONEY TO STAY IN POWER ITS A BRAINWASH SYSTEM AND HAS BEEN FOR CENTURIES.
I'm sorry you feel that way

Merry Christmas!
Jesus is the reason for the season

Old 12-04-2007, 07:06 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,880,007 times
Well all I know is that I live in a society. Not a Christian society...a society comprised of people of all different faiths and some without any faith at all. I live in a large urban city of 8,000,000 million and we have Christmas Trees and Menorahs, etc. displayed downtown. Our city does an official tree lighting ceremony and all that kind of stuff and it's fun and attended by anyone that is interested in attending. However, it's an option as to whether or not someone wants to attend. Being told 'Merry Christmas" by a store clerk isn't an option. It may have no negative consequences OR if someone is a militant Jew for instance, it could mean the loss of that person's business. And that is something most businesses don't want to do to. Of course some store clerk probably doesn't care about offending one customer. They don't own the store and perhaps own some stocks via an employee stock option plan - or perhaps they make $8.00 a hour and it's just a job for them. A job they can find at any store in town. But to the business an an entity, losing customers is a bad thing. Most businesses are very competitive in nature. Many of the large shareholders and upper management may not be Christians. So the safe way to handle this is to wish people Happy Holidays. Again, I honestly don't understand why so many people are bothered by this...by the "political correctness" of this. If they are this bothered by it, make a stand and stop shopping at stores that engage in Happy Holidays. Spend your money only at stores that display Merry Christmas banners and wish patrons a Merry Christmas. Put your wallets where your mouths are and do something about it. Hannukah starts on 12/4 this year. The start or Ramadan changes year to year and based on the lunar cycle. December 8th is Bodhi Day for Buddists, Perhaps some of us live in fairly insular Christian cities where saying Merry Christmas is acceptable because everyone is a Christian. But as a Christian, I've been "rubbing elbows" with people of various faiths since I started kindergarten and have come to accept the fact that many people in my city, aren't Christians. Yet, this is their Holiday Season and people here have to acknowledge that. As much as many Christians feel that they are losing patience with being "politically correct", what being politically correct really means is being aware and empathetic that not everyone is like you and respect that fact. No one's aim is to take Christ out of Christmas, but our aim should not be take Mohammed out of Ramadan or rededication of the Temple of Jerusalem out of Hanukka. As we all know, this country is a melting pot of people and history has dictated that things change. The fabric of our fine country is one of them. We have to be open minded and roll with the changes. It's not the early 1600's anymore. The pilgrims came here to escape religions persecution. We as Christians, more than anyone, should respect others' religions and be mindful of what we're wishing people.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:17 PM

23,030 posts, read 34,453,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
In my opinion, neither does Merry Christmas..You see even though I am a believer I do not associate Christmas with the birth of Christ..
This part confuses me How can a believer not associate Christmas with His birth? Just wondering.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:02 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,566,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
This part confuses me How can a believer not associate Christmas with His birth? Just wondering.
IMO,The bible has plenty to say about celebrating the death and resurrection after passover, it gave us enough information to pretty well calculate the date each year..I don't think the bible gives much information for us to calculate His birth I don't know of any ot custom that the birth is connected to..Also the only birthday party I can remember the nt talking about was when John the baptists head was served on a silver platter..But I think that the Christmas spirit and the changing it from a pagan holiday was a good move by Constantine..I love the season and have a manger scene on the fireplace ,and attend nativity plays..I am thankful and celebrate His birth as a human each and every day of my life..I wish all christians had the "christmas christian spirit" all year long..All of the above is just my opinion and I am at peace with it If christian/believers believe Dec 25 is His birthday and want to observe it as such and it makes them more Christlike at least during the season I think it is marvelous..

Old 12-04-2007, 08:34 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,694,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisak64 View Post
Your friend and Ben Stein, don't represent all Jewish people. Retailers don't want to take the risk in offending anyone so most use "Happy Holidays". In some areas, such as where I live, we have a large Jewish, Muslim and Hindu population. So as a common business practice, many businesses don't say Merry Christmas. I'm a Christian, however, I would never think of saying Merry Christmas or sending Christmas cards to clients. It's Happy Holidays and Happy Holiday cards and holiday lunches, etc. The risk in offending someone or simply assuming that they're Christian, is not worth it. I think that the Christian way to act is with kindness and to not offend people or make them feel uncomfortable. We know why stores and businesses use Happy Holidays. It shouldn't offend us. It's a safe phrase that won't offend anyone so we be bothered by it? If by using the phrase Happy Holidays in any way makes one feel that society is removing Christ from Christmas, they're plain wrong. We can worship freely at church, at bible studies and at home with our fellow Christians. There is no need to wish non-Christians a Merry Christmas. It's just plain silly. Put it this way, Jews for instance MAY be offended by Merry Christmas but won't be offended by Happy Holidays. So that's the proper etiquette to use in our multi-faced country.
There was a thread in another forum here on city-data about how rude it is for people to say "How are you?" Don't remember it exactly, but basically, the original poster was offended because people were insincere in asking "how are you?" as a form of greeting when they really didn't care. Some people might be offended by saying "happy holidays." I have a friend who is offended by people wishing him "happy birthday."

Proper etiquette is not to deliberately offend, and to not take offense when none is intended.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:31 PM

30,438 posts, read 52,094,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnstorms View Post
Christmas is about Christ, hence, Christmas. We don't say "Happy Holidays" on the Fourth of July, Labor Day, Memorial Day, Veterans Day, etc. but they are holidays. So the next time someone says "Happy Holidays", ask them if they say that for all the holidays. It'll set em on their ear! LOL
I think you're missing the point - "Happy Holidays" is supposed to cover ALL holidays between Halloween and New Year's, not just Christmas... despite what some of you believe & wish, the actual holiday of Christmas lasts only from Dec. 24-25th. Tonight is the first night of Chanukah, so it would be inappropriate for you to wish me a Merry Christmas today - dont'cha think?

Actually, that's precisely the problem, how people don't think of anyone but themselves sometimes (not to pick on you specifically, but I hear this crap every year). And no, it wouldn't "set me on my ear," since about 1/2 of the people I associate with don't celebrate Christmas... and if July 4th coincided with 3-4 other holidays within a month, yes I WOULD say "Happy Holidays!"

Old 12-05-2007, 03:31 AM

2,407 posts, read 10,694,942 times
gizmo, I believe I wished you chag sameach in the other thread. Happy Chanukkah!

Dec 2 is the start of Advent, so to Christians who follow the Christian calendar, the correct greeting would be "Happy Advent", not "Merry Christmas."

To be honest, I'm more concerned with the lack of offering holiday greetings altogether. Our society is becoming more and more impersonal. If someone wants to spread some holiday cheer and shoot out "Happy Holidays" or "Happy Hanukkah" or "Happy Advent," more power to 'em.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity