Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 07:12 AM

30,400 posts, read 52,011,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxor View Post
gizmo, I believe I wished you chag sameach in the other thread. Happy Chanukkah!

Dec 2 is the start of Advent, so to Christians who follow the Christian calendar, the correct greeting would be "Happy Advent", not "Merry Christmas."

To be honest, I'm more concerned with the lack of offering holiday greetings altogether. Our society is becoming more and more impersonal. If someone wants to spread some holiday cheer and shoot out "Happy Holidays" or "Happy Hanukkah" or "Happy Advent," more power to 'em.
Thanks again! And Happy Advent/Christmas/Chanukah/Solstice/etc. to you too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 08:17 AM

22,373 posts, read 19,288,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisak64 View Post
We as Christians, more than anyone, should respect others' religions and be mindful of what we're wishing people.
ROCK ON, well put!

Old 12-05-2007, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
You people could drive a girl to drink some seriously spiked egg nog.
Red flag....when someone uses the phrase "you people."

Corrollary to keep in mind: They is a four-letter word.

Old 12-05-2007, 01:15 PM

It's also interesting to note that Christian holidays were "pasted over" the existing pagan holidays. So it was a holy season way before the birth of Christ. I like to think of all the Christians celebrating on pagan holidays : )

Old 12-05-2007, 11:58 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,872,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxor View Post
There was a thread in another forum here on city-data about how rude it is for people to say "How are you?" Don't remember it exactly, but basically, the original poster was offended because people were insincere in asking "how are you?" as a form of greeting when they really didn't care. Some people might be offended by saying "happy holidays." I have a friend who is offended by people wishing him "happy birthday."

Proper etiquette is not to deliberately offend, and to not take offense when none is intended.
Proper etiquette IS not to deliberately offend. Agreed. One can have good manners and yet, not be silenced and accept a greeting, that doesn't apply to them. Someone who is not Christian, should reply to a "Merry Christmas" greeting with "Thank you, but I'm Jewish (or whatever) and I don't celebrate Christmas". Perhaps a response such as that would open the eyes of some people that not everyone is celebrating Christmas during the Holiday Season. And for those who may not possess good manners, let's at least hope they have common sense. Unless someone is living in cave, I would think that they realize that not everyone is Christian. I find it puzzling that Christians would wish strangers a Merry Christmas. I don't get it. Maybe all of our Jewish friends should start wishing everyone they encounter a Happy Hannukah. As much as some Christians would say it wouldn't bother them, I know many would be bothered by it. I have never been wished a Happy Hannukah by any Jew. It seems that in this case, they have better manners than many of us.

Old 12-06-2007, 12:52 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,255,701 times
A good reply to "merry Christmas" at this time might be "and a happy Chanukkah to you" or "and I wish you a happy holiday." But with either answer, I sometimes wonder if the well-wisher is going to slap my face for wishing them well. I have gotten some dirty looks, which makes me wonder if I should pretend they said nothing. I would think that we should all get over ourselves, quit being so demanding of strangers, and just take this time as an opportunity to wish people well, no matter what their religious status.

Old 12-06-2007, 05:41 AM

1,491 posts, read 3,119,128 times
I truly am amazed at the way the folks in our country have changed over the years. When I was growing up in the 50's-60's, when someone greeted you with phrases like "merry Christmas", "happy Hannukah", or even a simple "hello", we would smile, reply accordingly, walk away and continue with what we were doing without a second thought. We were content with our lives and happy for someone to share with us for just a moment.

Now, we walk around with our emotions, predjudices, dislikes and curt replies strapped to our sleeves. We are ready to immediately rip into someone for simply expressing a simple salutation, regardless of the nature. What happened to us? Why has the act of a courteous gesture suddenly become the basis for letting our blood pressure skirt the 140 mark? What's wrong with just saying "thank you and have a great day" and walking away. Rather than focus on the greeting, I walk away thankful that someone in this confrontational world took a moment out of their busy schedule to say hello and wish me well. Take care and God bless.

Old 12-06-2007, 05:54 AM

30,400 posts, read 52,011,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisak64 View Post
Proper etiquette IS not to deliberately offend. Agreed. One can have good manners and yet, not be silenced and accept a greeting, that doesn't apply to them. Someone who is not Christian, should reply to a "Merry Christmas" greeting with "Thank you, but I'm Jewish (or whatever) and I don't celebrate Christmas". Perhaps a response such as that would open the eyes of some people that not everyone is celebrating Christmas during the Holiday Season. And for those who may not possess good manners, let's at least hope they have common sense. Unless someone is living in cave, I would think that they realize that not everyone is Christian. I find it puzzling that Christians would wish strangers a Merry Christmas. I don't get it. Maybe all of our Jewish friends should start wishing everyone they encounter a Happy Hannukah. As much as some Christians would say it wouldn't bother them, I know many would be bothered by it. I have never been wished a Happy Hannukah by any Jew. It seems that in this case, they have better manners than many of us.
I usually just reply (to ANY greeting) with "thanks, you too!" - my parents raised me with good manners, and I'd never want to embarrass anyone. But I have thrown back a "Happy Chanukah" once or twice, when I was in a surly mood... the responses went something like, "Buuuttt I'm not Jewish!" or "Huh???"

Old 12-06-2007, 06:06 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,650,344 times
i dont think many people are like this (walking around with emotions on sleeves and ready to rip). i think this thread is just a response to being fed up with the pc crap and some people's unwillingness to accept other's religions. some christians (SOME) seem to be feeling threatened that christmas is going to eventually be banned or become extinct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
I truly am amazed at the way the folks in our country have changed over the years. When I was growing up in the 50's-60's, when someone greeted you with phrases like "merry Christmas", "happy Hannukah", or even a simple "hello", we would smile, reply accordingly, walk away and continue with what we were doing without a second thought. We were content with our lives and happy for someone to share with us for just a moment.

Now, we walk around with our emotions, predjudices, dislikes and curt replies strapped to our sleeves. We are ready to immediately rip into someone for simply expressing a simple salutation, regardless of the nature. What happened to us? Why has the act of a courteous gesture suddenly become the basis for letting our blood pressure skirt the 140 mark? What's wrong with just saying "thank you and have a great day" and walking away. Rather than focus on the greeting, I walk away thankful that someone in this confrontational world took a moment out of their busy schedule to say hello and wish me well. Take care and God bless.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:16 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,077,090 times
bigthirsty wishes everyone a happy end of the year. May your favorite cousin Eddie come visit with his dog 'snots' and may you have a grand time. Just don't shoot your eye out.

that should just about cover everyone..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity