Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 09:06 PM

758 posts, read 847,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Cid of Knife View Post
I believe in confession--and apparently so does Alcoholics Anonymous which mandates one confess to God and to another human being the exact nature of their wrongs--and I don't go to take Holy Communion while in a state of mortal sin. Being unsure if masturbation is mortal sin or not I refrain from taking communion until I confess that sin.

But I don't confess my sins--masturbation or others--until I have the intent not to recommit the sin and I'm sorry for my sins.

All of that is needed. Frequent confession, no less to the same man (confessor) is purgation, is tough, it's putting a steal blade through fire.

While I enjoyed the movie Don Jon and laughed heartily throughout the movie... I was not pleased with the way the movie (Hollywood is run mainly by the Satanic) presented the sacrament of confession. As typical they portrayed the priest as sinister or withdrawn. But more importantly they portrayed the sacrament of confession as something not based in intent not to recommit the sin and absent of remorse on the part of the confessing party. They tried to make it seem easy, and of course promoted premarital sex and promiscuity as the path to spiritual enlightenment.

A priest I know has told me that if a child constantly disrespects his parents and repeatedly confesses it, if he sees no marked improvements in the child he will tell the child to stop coming to him because he's wasting his time. He said he would be more patient with those repeatedly confessing sins resulting from an actual addiction.

A Catholic can receive communion everyday, as Mass goes on everyday, however, a Catholic only has to fulfill those days of obligation like every Sunday (or Saturday evening in replace of Sunday Mass) Mass. And the Sacrifice of the Mass is the point of the priesthood and the point of the Mass. And a Catholic is to never take communion in a state of mortal sin. So, preparing daily one's soul, mind, and body for receiving the Eucharist at least weekly, and by utilizing the sacrament of confession when needed to do that, the Catholic becomes a professional athlete of the metaphysical of the spiritual. There are plenty of other tools to use along with that like the rosary.

I need to confess--and have needed so for several, many, weeks--but I'm not yet prepared to do so in mind and heart, therefore, I attend Mass but don't take the Holy Eucharist. In the mean time I beg the mercy of God and ask His forgiveness of my sins like the Protestants do. But this is insufficient.
Here we go again: Proclaiming that God is a Liar.

1st John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousnes

WHY DO PEOPLE deny what God has Spoken ???

Why do they believe "men" over what Jesus has said??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 09:23 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,917,131 times
The "sacrament" is life in the spirit of concern for the well-being of all. Part of that is concern for the errors that we make and how we can make up for them, Ceremonies are not a requirement, but may be helpful to some.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:48 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,339,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
The "sacrament" is life in the spirit of concern for the well-being of all. Part of that is concern for the errors that we make and how we can make up for them, Ceremonies are not a requirement, but may be helpful to some.
It is impossible to live without ceremonies as ceremonies are part of life.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Cid of Knife View Post
A "sacrament" is an outward sign that reveals a greater unseen truth. Ergo, baptism with water, absolution in confession, the Eucharist etc.

Baptism by water is necessary as a ritual and so is confession. You don't baptize yourself with water and you don't confess yourself.
A "sacrament" is a way of perceiving our connection with God and no ceremonies are required for that. When we live with the presence everything is a sacrament.

Check out Practicing the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence of the Resurrection.

Old 03-02-2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
A "sacrament" is a way of perceiving our connection with God and no ceremonies are required for that. When we live with the presence everything is a sacrament.

Check out Practicing the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence of the Resurrection.
Living is a series of ceremonies. It is impossible to live without ceremonies. Sola Scriptura folks also have ceremonies, it is unavoidable.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Living is a series of ceremonies. It is impossible to live without ceremonies. Sola Scriptura folks also have ceremonies, it is unavoidable.
Whether they appear or not is not the question, the point is that they are not mandated.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Whether they appear or not is not the question, the point is that they are not mandated.
Silence on the bible is not a mandate. For example in Catholicism the sacrament of baptism also includes anoitment with Holy Oils.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity