Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 04:01 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,223,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
So you think the bible was just thrown down from heaven and oral tradition and worship was not allowed? If the bible is the end all and be all then what did Christians believe before the NT bible was even written?
The question is, why would you believe the words of men over the words of the apostles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 05:41 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,417,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
The question is, why would you believe the words of men over the words of the apostles?
The apostles were men. So, your question becomes, "Why would you believe the words of men over the words of men?"

Old 03-22-2014, 06:11 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,443,738 times
Quote:
So you think the bible was just thrown down from heaven and oral tradition and worship was not allowed? If the bible is the end all and be all then what did Christians believe before the NT bible was even written?
The OT

Old 03-22-2014, 06:12 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,751,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Nobody is saying that God CANNOT speak to man. The question is, though....how would we know if he did? Would he contradict that which we already agree he said?
I expect that God would do it the same way he always has. Sometimes he appears. Sometimes he speaks by the Spirit.

How do we know that God ever said anything at all? In other words, what criteria do we use to determine what is and what is not divine revelation from God? The Bible didn't compile itself. Mortal, imperfect, squabbling, sinful humans did it. And we know that God did maintain the text either.Tens of thousands of differences in manuscripts exist in both the Old and New Testament. And there is a sizable list of works that would definitely be part of the canon if we actually had copies of them. There's no getting around it, accurately hammering out "the word of God" is an imperfect science. So how much can we trust what we already have? No easy answers to that question.

Properly understood, the Bible does offer a good template for answering your question. How did the Israelites know that Moses really was a prophet of God? How about Joshua, Gideon, Deborah, Samuel, Nathan, Isaiah, Daniel, Ezekiel, Jeremiah, etc? How did the Israelites know that they were genuine prophets.

Quote:
Matthew 16:15-17
15 “But what about you?†he asked. “Who do you say I am?â€
16 Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.â€
17 Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in heaven.
Forget about all the controversy, fuss and fighting about the next couple of verses. Just focus on this: How did Peter know that Jesus was legit? He knew by personal revelation from God.

If somebody comes along claiming to be a messenger sent from God, it's as simple as that: Ask God and receive personal revelation. I've always felt that personal revelation from God was the bedrock foundation mentioned in the next verses. That is how Peter know. That is how anyone can know. And it is the personal responsibility of every Christian to foster a relationship with God sufficient to receive that personal revelation.

Old 03-22-2014, 06:22 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,361,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Forget about all the controversy, fuss and fighting about the next couple of verses. Just focus on this: How did Peter know that Jesus was legit? He knew by personal revelation from God.
And he became the Vicar of Christ.

Old 03-22-2014, 06:26 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,512,306 times
Quote:
the written OT scriptures ... imagine that.

Old 03-22-2014, 06:29 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,995,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
The apostles were men. So, your question becomes, "Why would you believe the words of men over the words of men?"
The apostles were men filled with holy spirit. So, your question becomes, "Why would you believe the words of men over the words of men who were filled with the holy spirit?

Old 03-22-2014, 06:34 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,361,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Well he is sincere. What if he goes into a Muslim mosque and it is more beautiful than any Catholic church building he ever saw, will he convert to Islam?
Muslims are not Christian.

In his talk Kreeft states he received Catholic indoctrination growing up, but nevertheless was moved by visiting Saint Patrick in NYC.

He was then motivated to study Christianity before the reformation and the more he studied the greater his inclination to become a Catholic.

Quote:
Beauty does not truth make.
2Co 11:14 "And no marvel, for Satan himself is being transfigured into a messenger of light. " The allure of Satan is not an ugly face and horns and a tail but his beauty. Though I have never seen him, I'm sure, based upon the above verse that he would be extremely beautiful.
Nice stinger! You don't waste any time!

Quote:
I don't mind Kreeft joining Catholicism. He just traded one set of theological ideas for another set and both sets are suspect.
I know, you belong to the Eusebius Church of Christ which has exactly one member. How could you go wrong? You have found your truth? And truth is whatever you want it to be.

Quote:
If you want to be the most popular church in the world it is important to not stand for the real truth because Jesus said "People love darkness and will not come to the light."
See above!

Quote:
But like I said before, I love my Catholic brothers and sisters as well as protestant. I am in neither camp. I am a believer, plain and simple who can embrace believers from both camps. It is important to not be sectarian.
I don't know who is more humble! You or Pope Francis? It is clear you are in another plateau well above us mere mortals. So who is the Vicar of Christ? I think you have taken the title away from Pope Francis!

You are funny!!!!!

Old 03-22-2014, 06:35 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,417,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
The apostles were men filled with holy spirit. So, your question becomes, "Why would you believe the words of men over the words of men who were filled with the holy spirit?
Filled with the holy spirit according to whom? The answer: men.

Old 03-22-2014, 06:42 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,995,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Filled with the holy spirit according to whom? The answer: men.
So say you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity