Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 06:54 PM

17,966 posts, read 16,028,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Muslims are not Christian.

In his talk Kreeft states he received Catholic indoctrination growing up, but nevertheless was moved by visiting Saint Patrick in NYC.

He was then motivated to study Christianity before the reformation and the more he studied the greater his inclination to become a Catholic.
Nice stinger! You don't waste any time!

I know, you belong to the Eusebius Church of Christ which has exactly one member. How could you go wrong? You have found your truth? And truth is whatever you want it to be.

See above!

I don't know who is more humble! You or Pope Francis? It is clear you are in another plateau well above us mere mortals. So who is the Vicar of Christ? I think you have taken the title away from Pope Francis!

You are funny!!!!!
Having a bad day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 10:09 PM

296 posts, read 239,287 times
Quote:
The very best Catholic Apologists such as Scott Hahn, Jimmy Aikin, Peter Kreeft are former Protestants.

They converted because they spent too much time studying the history of Christianity.

Former Catholics that convert to Sola Scriptura are generally very anti-catholic. However, most of the time these folks have a poor understanding of Catholicism.
They converted because they loved the Lord. So, they were hungry for the Truth, because thru their studies they came to realize the inaccurasies w/I the tens of thousands of differing Protestant denominations.

Historical Christianity ... is that a problem? IMO, not if it takes you to the Truth and the very Church Christ started at Pentecost.

Old 03-22-2014, 10:24 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,386,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Having a bad day?
Yes! :-)

I meant to say Kreeft received anti Catholic indoctrination.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:28 PM

23,655 posts, read 17,572,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
The question is, why would you believe the words of men over the words of the apostles?
The apostles weren't men, then what were they?

Old 03-22-2014, 11:34 PM

Quote:
It looks like White, stapled Staples to the wall. It is so tragic that people like Staples use such pathetic means to try to get one over on the one they debate. But in a way it is a good thing because it allows anyone who has anything between their ears to see just how pathetic Staples can be and I hope when people hear/see the debate they will call Staples to account for his untowardness.

It is due to people like Staples that Martin Luther had to invoke "Sola Scriptura." The Catholic church wanted to bury the debate with Luther using extra-biblical sources. Luther knew his strongest stance was to use the Scriptures.
If Luther wanted to use the scriptures than why did he throw a lot of it out? That was the Church's problem with him, he wanted to rewrite the bible and change words. That was heretical but he went ahead and wanted to bury the Church so he was ex-communicated. Sad since his protest started so many other protests that still goes on today with so many different denominations. The true Church was fractured but with prayer we may be re-united into one again someday.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Good for Tim. I've heard the guy speak a number of times -- I used to listen to Catholic Answers Live quite a bit. Honestly....I'm not all that impressed with him. He seems to have a rather limited understanding of Christian Theology.

Is there something in particular you think is worth discussing about it? Or did you intend for us to read the article and just convert?
No, to read the article. The Holy Spirit is in charge of your conversion.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
the written OT scriptures ... imagine that.
Did the OT mention the word Christian? If it didn't I guess by some it must be wrong.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:48 PM

Quote:
The apostles were men filled with holy spirit. So, your question becomes, "Why would you believe the words of men over the words of men who were filled with the holy spirit?
The Holy Spirit descended on many on Pentecost so that makes many people, plus the apostles, filled with the Holy Spirit.

Old 03-23-2014, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius
It is due to people like Staples that Martin Luther had to invoke "Sola Scriptura." The Catholic church wanted to bury the debate with Luther using extra-biblical sources. Luther knew his strongest stance was to use the Scriptures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
If Luther wanted to use the scriptures than why did he throw a lot of it out? That was the Church's problem with him, he wanted to rewrite the bible and change words. That was heretical but he went ahead and wanted to bury the Church so he was ex-communicated. Sad since his protest started so many other protests that still goes on today with so many different denominations. The true Church was fractured but with prayer we may be re-united into one again someday.
The point is not what Luther thought was suspect in the Scriptures but that he knew the best way to confront the pathetic state of one of the churches of his day (the Catholic church) was to stick with the Scriptures rather than being mired down by extra-biblical statements by his detractors.

The Catholic church say they go all the way back to Peter as their founder. The problem with this is that the apostle Paul founded the church at Rome because it was outside Israel and was of the nations.

Jesus even told the disciples not to go into a road of the nations but to stick in Israel and that they wouldn't finish all the towns in Israel before He returned.

Peter and Paul made an agreement in Galatians two that he (Peter) would be for the Circumcision (that's just the Jews) and Paul would be for the uncircumcision (that's the nations) and Paul is always called the apostle of the nations. Peter and James, in the book of acts said they would quit harassing those of the nations. So if you want to get back to the true church and you are of the nations, you need to get back to Paul's theology, not Peter's.

Prior to this agreement, some from James came to Galatia and tried to get the Galatians to mix law with grace which Paul was was wrong. And Peter went there and tried to Judaize them:

Gal 2:14 But when I perceived that they are not correct in their attitude toward the truth of the evangel, I said to Cephas in front of all, "If you, being inherently a Jew, are living as the nations, and not as the Jews, how are you compelling the nations to be judaizing?

Do you realize what judaizing means? Catholics should have Paul as their founder, not Peter.

And so Peter was caught in his hypocrisy and they agreed he (Peter) would only be for the Circumcision and Paul for the nations. You can't mix law with grace under truth given to Paul.

Old 03-23-2014, 05:16 AM

Quote:
I know, you belong to the Eusebius Church of Christ which has exactly one member. How could you go wrong? You have found your truth? And truth is whatever you want it to be.
Where do you get your facts for the above statement?

Please provide us with the facts concerning the above.

Or are you just trying to smear your opponent too by unfounded claims?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity