Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 03:11 PM

50,089 posts, read 20,814,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
AREQUIPA, why do you not believe in divine miracles but do believe in the miracles the single celled amoebas performed?
Because as I said, the evidence for miracles is not convincing. The evidence for evolution from groups of cells and thus (by implication) single cells and back through DNA to biochemicals is very persuasive. There is also a mechanism, explanation and process.Thus the 'miracle' of life - not as recited in the Bible. That it took a long time and was a process suggests to me that it was natural not planned. That alone is a good reason to doubt the Sun standing still.

Quote:
Come on AREQUIPA, do you really believe that those single celled amoebas had the intelligence to not only create all the male species but female at the same time so they could procreate?

I hope the weather is nice where you are. We had some snow today here in Michigan.
We have had this conversation before and your cartoon of the amoebas working out what they had to do is so far from the theory of evolution that there is little point in your question other that attempted ridicule. You are too smart not to know that evolution theory does not require planning, whether you believe it or not.

I take your point that God could work a miracle- even faking up a sun instead of a lot of footlights. You wouldn't even need to suspend any natural laws.

Believe it or not, as you like.

Weather here is good in between thunderstorms. I was able to get out yesterday to the nat History 'meet the ancestors' exhibit. Burn incense and prostrate myself before the statue of Darwin..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 03:39 PM

17,966 posts, read 16,002,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
No, because regardless of how God did it, it still happened. Our knowing how is not necessary.
Very true! I appreciate your thoughts! It is just that some things cause me to be curious, that's all.

Old 03-27-2014, 03:43 PM

17,966 posts, read 16,002,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Weather here is good in between thunderstorms. I was able to get out yesterday to the nat History 'meet the ancestors' exhibit. Burn incense and prostrate myself before the statue of Darwin..
Did you see your mother and father in there? Or are these just unruly relatives of yours?

Sometimes I swear the people I debate with were evolved from a donkey. Some apes are smarter. But, if they want to believe they came from a stupid ole dumb ape, so be it. I personally would much rather be a descendent of a very intelligent human called Adam.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:23 PM

50,089 posts, read 20,814,520 times
Neither of the ancestor images looked very much like my ancestors. A lot thinner for one thing. As for the rest, what I would prefer is irrelevant. What the evidence indicates is what matters.

In any case, biochemicals or 'dust' is what we came from either way, no matter whether you think a god had a hand in it or not and what you think the intervening stages (if any) were.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:09 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,011,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Did you see your mother and father in there? Or are these just unruly relatives of yours?

Sometimes I swear the people I debate with were evolved from a donkey. Some apes are smarter. But, if they want to believe they came from a stupid ole dumb ape, so be it. I personally would much rather be a descendent of a very intelligent human called Adam.
Eusebius, there are so many holes in the idea of "God created all species" that really need to be explained and the idea that "God can do anything" isn't an answer.

Just a few questions:

Why is it that all life on this planet is carbon based?
Why do we share 40% of our DNA with bacteria, 60% of our DNA with insects, 75% of our DNA with reptiles, 90% with all other mammals and we even share 57% of our DNA with a banana?

Now I do not believe we evolved from a banana, but somewhere down the line there has to be a reason for the common sharing of DNA. That is unless you believe that DNA doesn't exist.

Science does not say we evolved from an ape, ape are primates along with humans, we may share a common ancestor but that's as far as it goes, apes evolved along their branch of the tree and human along their branch. If it were the case that we evolved from apes then there would be no apes today because they all would have evolved to humans.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:27 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,249,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
Eusebius, there are so many holes in the idea of "God created all species" that really need to be explained and the idea that "God can do anything" isn't an answer.

Just a few questions:

Why is it that all life on this planet is carbon based?
Why do we share 40% of our DNA with bacteria, 60% of our DNA with insects, 75% of our DNA with reptiles, 90% with all other mammals and we even share 57% of our DNA with a banana?

Now I do not believe we evolved from a banana, but somewhere down the line there has to be a reason for the common sharing of DNA. That is unless you believe that DNA doesn't exist.

Science does not say we evolved from an ape, ape are primates along with humans, we may share a common ancestor but that's as far as it goes, apes evolved along their branch of the tree and human along their branch. If it were the case that we evolved from apes then there would be no apes today because they all would have evolved to humans.
Good try, Terryj.

But Eusie has buttressed his mind against all incursions by facts.

He's allergic to them, poor thing.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:45 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,423,926 times
The Sun Stood Still in Joshua's Day:
It must have been Summer.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:04 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,011,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post

Or maybe they had a different idea about daylight saving time, instead of rolling the clock ahead one hour they rolled it back one day.

The dynamics of the sun stopping in the sky for a day is interesting to say the least, seeing how the sun doesn't move relative to the planets. What happened to stop the earth from rotating and if it did what happened to make it start rotating again, this kind of goes against the law of inertia. Seeing how Issac Newton wasn't around in those days the laws of inertia didn't exist.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
Or maybe they had a different idea about daylight saving time, instead of rolling the clock ahead one hour they rolled it back one day.

The dynamics of the sun stopping in the sky for a day is interesting to say the least, seeing how the sun doesn't move relative to the planets. What happened to stop the earth from rotating and if it did what happened to make it start rotating again, this kind of goes against the law of inertia. Seeing how Issac Newton wasn't around in those days the laws of inertia didn't exist.
Spring forward, fall back, could have also been Winter?

Old 03-28-2014, 11:24 AM

The story, basically implies that the sun goes around the earth, which isn't true.
Much of the Bible is syncretistic (mixed or blended) in nature with various beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity