Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 01:50 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,416,454 times

Advertisements

"Whoever seeks to save his life [soul] will lose it; whoever loses it will preserve it." Lk 9 &17, Mt 10 & 16, Mk 8, Jn 12.

What do you believe it means to lose your life/soul in order to preserve it, and what has your experience of that been?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 02:23 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,344,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
"Whoever seeks to save his life [soul] will lose it; whoever loses it will preserve it." Lk 9 &17, Mt 10 & 16, Mk 8, Jn 12.

What do you believe it means to lose your life/soul in order to preserve it, and what has your experience of that been?
Carnal minded man would assume this is talking about going to heaven.

For me, it simply means leaving your old self(the old way of thinking) behind and denying it any place in our being, achieved by the renewal and transformation of the mind and by the knowledge of seeing yourself how God sees you. As a man thinks in his heart so is he.

and to put on the new man, which, according to God, was created in righteousness and kindness of the truth

Old 04-16-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Carnal minded man would assume this is talking about going to heaven.

For me, it simply means leaving your old self(the old way of thinking) behind and denying it any place in our being, achieved by the renewal and transformation of the mind and by the knowledge of seeing yourself how God sees you. As a man thinks in his heart so is he.

and to put on the new man, which, according to God, was created in righteousness and kindness of the truth

Thanks for your perspective pcamps.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:01 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,140,410 times
Does this mean it is read like this?:

Whoever saves his old life (old man), will lose it(old life or new life?)...
whoever loses his old life (old man), will preserve it (new man)

Old 04-16-2014, 03:18 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,944,143 times
Yes, indeed. It's about control and allowing God to be master through adherence to love rather than selfishness.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:56 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,581,808 times
Quote:

For me, being self-focused while indifferent to the welfare of others can result in losing the soul, while humility and compassion preserve one's life.

~Seek goodness and righteousness and ALL things will be added to you!

Isn't this^^^ what the Christ taught?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Yes, indeed. It's about control and allowing God to be master through adherence to love rather than selfishness.
This^^^

Last edited by ans57; 04-16-2014 at 04:39 PM..

Old 04-16-2014, 10:13 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,404,656 times
"A new heart of flesh; and renewing of the mind."

Old 04-17-2014, 08:42 AM

Thanks for your replies Nate, Ans, Jerwade and Lego. I'd rep you all if I could.

Follow up question: Do you consciously spend time "renewing your mind", "denying the old way of thinking"? More specifically, what I'm asking is... knowing that there is so much within us negatively influencing our thoughts and behaviors that is below our conscious awareness, do you feel it is necessary to try to find a way to bring those things to your conscious awareness in order to release them?

Old 04-17-2014, 08:52 AM

10,063 posts, read 4,988,541 times
Quote:
' Take a stand '

If a gun was placed at your head and you were told to renounce God or Jesus would you do that ?_____
If you, like Job and Jesus, placed your confidence in God then you would choose, if necessary, to die for God.
We would loose out on this temporary life, but would gain permanent everlasting life.
For some [ Rev. 20 v 6 ] a life in heaven, or for the majority of mankind [ John 3 v 16 ] future life forever on earth.
-Acts 24 v 15; Psalm 37 vs 11, 29

My experience has been a loss of some relationships, but new relationships gained.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
' Take a stand '

If a gun was placed at your head and you were told to renounce God or Jesus would you do that ?_____
Maybe.

Quote:
If you, like Job and Jesus, placed your confidence in God then you would choose, if necessary, to die for God.
We would loose out on this temporary life, but would gain permanent everlasting life.

For some [ Rev. 20 v 6 ] a life in heaven, or for the majority of mankind [ John 3 v 16 ] future life forever on earth.
-Acts 24 v 15; Psalm 37 vs 11, 29
Are you saying that you believe that if you chose to tell a person with a gun to your head that you renounce God, then you will have forfeited "everlasting life" as far as God is concerned? Honestly, that doesn't make sense to me. Words are often void of meaning, especially words elicited under extreme duress.

Quote:
My experience has been a loss of some relationships, but new relationships gained.
May I ask, what caused the loss of relationships?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity