Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2014, 09:18 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,410,702 times

Advertisements

Ok we have been going to Christian Church for years I am presently one of the Church Leaders, have been for several years. Last few years seen the congregation go from 100 to 40. I headed up a meeting couple weeks ago on ideas how to turn this around, just seemed there was no interest.

My wife takes care of our Web Site, pay for it out of our pocket. One of the Elders wife said the Site wasn't needed. Our Song Leader said she looks over the congregation and they look dead. I said well maybe a spirit felt AMEN! is called for one of the Deacons said we don't do this here We clean the Church. Yes I know our work is for the Lord.

Year ago we moved from 5 miles from the Church to 30 miles from the Church so durring Bad weather this past Winter there was no way we could make it a few days. Some look down on us missing. We do drive through some of the most beutiful country going so it isn't bad unless like today I was driving home had a Tornado in front of me and one behind me, I just stayed between them until they broke up.

We started going to Pentecost Church close to us and enjoy them very much. I had went to Pentecost over 40 years ago so it wasn't no surprise.

Told our Pastor today we was seriously considering leaving the Church. He asked why? I told him so many just act as though they don't care. He looks at me and says you are Family here, you have roots here, You don't leave a Family because of troubles, you stay and work through it. No matter what Church there will be problems. I can't compete with Petecost spirit, plus how much of it is Heart felt and how much is fake? We can not have this here because so many worship the Lord quietly it isn't fair to have someone next to them in the spirit hollering and dancing. The Lord would never leave you in time of troubles.

Ok I know I may of move with out thinking and I do agree with him. Thing is he is going to come to visit us at our home, which is ok but he is upset with us. Like I told my wife I understand what he was saying and have changed my mind about leaving I just wish for now he would leave it be Thinking let him have is say and leave it at that.

Thoughts?

brushrunner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 06:10 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,367,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushrunner View Post
Ok we have been going to Christian Church for years I am presently one of the Church Leaders, have been for several years. Last few years seen the congregation go from 100 to 40. I headed up a meeting couple weeks ago on ideas how to turn this around, just seemed there was no interest.

My wife takes care of our Web Site, pay for it out of our pocket. One of the Elders wife said the Site wasn't needed. Our Song Leader said she looks over the congregation and they look dead. I said well maybe a spirit felt AMEN! is called for one of the Deacons said we don't do this here We clean the Church. Yes I know our work is for the Lord.

Year ago we moved from 5 miles from the Church to 30 miles from the Church so durring Bad weather this past Winter there was no way we could make it a few days. Some look down on us missing. We do drive through some of the most beutiful country going so it isn't bad unless like today I was driving home had a Tornado in front of me and one behind me, I just stayed between them until they broke up.

We started going to Pentecost Church close to us and enjoy them very much. I had went to Pentecost over 40 years ago so it wasn't no surprise.

Told our Pastor today we was seriously considering leaving the Church. He asked why? I told him so many just act as though they don't care. He looks at me and says you are Family here, you have roots here, You don't leave a Family because of troubles, you stay and work through it. No matter what Church there will be problems. I can't compete with Petecost spirit, plus how much of it is Heart felt and how much is fake? We can not have this here because so many worship the Lord quietly it isn't fair to have someone next to them in the spirit hollering and dancing. The Lord would never leave you in time of troubles.

Ok I know I may of move with out thinking and I do agree with him. Thing is he is going to come to visit us at our home, which is ok but he is upset with us. Like I told my wife I understand what he was saying and have changed my mind about leaving I just wish for now he would leave it be Thinking let him have is say and leave it at that.

Thoughts?

brushrunner

Join an established church where no one pressures you. Consider the Lutherans or the Anglicans.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:23 AM

10,125 posts, read 14,010,141 times
I have been through a somewhat similar experience. I believe the decision to leave a church is one of the toughest you have to make because the people that you have looked to for spiritual guidance are really too bias to really give you an honest answer. It is true that all churches have issues and I have heard that constantly, but there is a fine line. Everyone isn't meant to fix the issues going on in the church. The question is, are you even in a position of influence? What is your Pastor honestly doing to deal with the issues going on there?

Also if people seem like they aren't into the service as much and people are leaving that much, there is an underlying issue going on that is likely not, at least to this point, being addressed. It sounds like a dying church, but there is always a chance for it to turnaround.

My advice, talk to your pastor and see what he plans on doing to address those concerns if anything. The whole "you have roots here" is really not that relevant. We have roots with our families as well, but that doesn't mean we necessarily have to fellowship with them. You want to make sure that you and your family are spiritually growing and are being edified. Be mindful of how people respond to your concerns because in my experience when you address issues people become prideful, think that they are doing nothing wrong and refuse to even consider any criticism no matter how valid it may be.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:13 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,453,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushrunner View Post

Thoughts?

brushrunner
Remember that leaving a church is not leaving God and joining a church is not joining God. Learn what is true from Scripture (test it with those who may disagree with you) and seek God and His Son, not just a church membership. Since Heb 10:25 tells us to gather together, we need to examine where we gather, before we do.

Old 04-04-2014, 03:54 PM

45,716 posts, read 27,332,929 times
To the OP... where is God working in your assembly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity