Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 09:17 PM

296 posts, read 239,014 times

Advertisements

... when he said that he had to fill up what was lacking in the sufferings of Christ?

Now I rejoice in what I am suffering for you, and I fill up in my flesh what is still lacking in regard to Christ’s afflictions, for the sake of his body, which is the church. (Col 1:24)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 10:11 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,955,553 times
It's hard to say, Paul's thoughts get a little convoluted from time to time. I'd say it bears some relation to "…10"Blessed are those who have been persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 11"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. 12"Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you."

The suffering or death of Jesus paid our ransom but each of us has a life to live and can expect to bear some pain himself, so Paul's pain fills up that part of living for the body of Christ, which is those who follow him. In Phil 2:17 he compares himself to a drink offering:
"17But even if I am being poured out as a drink offering upon the sacrifice and service of your faith, I rejoice and share my joy with you all. 18You too, I urge you, rejoice in the same way and share your joy with me."

At any rate, as I said, it seems to be some convoluted perception not well conveyed and not something to build any doctrines on.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:11 AM

I give you credit Nate. NO ONE ELSE HAS TOUCH THIS.

How do you know when Paul is speaking in convoluted terms? Isn't all Scripture inspired?

Old 04-07-2014, 10:14 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,955,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel A. Pettinicchio View Post
I give you credit Nate. NO ONE ELSE HAS TOUCH THIS.

How do you know when Paul is speaking in convoluted terms? Isn't all Scripture inspired?
You are barking up the wrong tree again, "inspired" does not mean "dictated."

Old 04-07-2014, 10:43 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,868,713 times
Sometimes the KJV, NKJV and some of the older translations are difficult to understand because the colloquial language style is no longer familiar to most people. Still, the longevity of the Bible makes Bible 'Translations' necessary, in order to render the text into a language or style that is common to the audience. The 'Message" version amplifies what Paul was saying from his prison cell:

Col. 1:24-25 [Message] "I want you to know how glad I am that it’s me sitting here in this jail and not you. There’s a lot of suffering to be entered into in this world—the kind of suffering Christ takes on. I welcome the chance to take my share in the church’s part of that suffering. When I became a servant in this church, I experienced this suffering as a sheer gift, God’s way of helping me serve you, laying out the whole truth."

[New Living Translation] - "24 I am glad when I suffer for you in my body, for I am participating in the sufferings of Christ that continue for his body, the church. 25 God has given me the responsibility of serving his church by proclaiming his entire message to you."

[Amplified Bible] - "24 [Even] now I rejoice in the midst of my sufferings on your behalf. And in my own person I am making up whatever is still lacking and remains to be completed on our part] of Christ’s afflictions, for the sake of His body, which is the church. 25 In it I became a minister in accordance with the divine stewardship which was entrusted to me for you [as its object and for your benefit], to make the Word of God fully known [among you]—

[New American Standard] - "24 Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I do my share on behalf of His body, which is the church, in filling up what is lacking in Christ’s afflictions. 25 Of this church I was made a minister according to the stewardship from God bestowed on me for your benefit, so that I might fully carry out the preaching of the word of God,

Note: There is a major difference between a 'translation' and an 'interpretation'. A 'Translation' attempts to translate the words/context of the original. An 'Interpretation' often injects the interpreters bias or opinion of what the author meant.

The Geneva Bible Commentary further clarifies the text:
1:24 -- The afflictions of the Church are said to be Christs afflictions, by reason of that fellowship and knitting together that the body and the head have with one another. And this is not because there is any more need to have the Church redeemed, but because Christ shows his power in the daily weakness of his own, and that for the comfort of the whole body.

1:25 -- He [Paul] brings another proof of his apostleship, that is, that God is the author of it, by whom also he was appointed especially as apostle for the Gentiles, to the end that by this means, that same might be fulfilled by him, which the Prophets foretold concerning the calling of the Gentiles.

Last edited by jghorton; 04-07-2014 at 10:54 AM..

Old 04-07-2014, 10:48 AM

45,726 posts, read 27,348,625 times
As Christians, Christ is in us. So when we suffer for Christ - HE is actually suffering also. So there is still suffering that Christ will endure as we suffer for Him on earth.

Example...

Acts 9:1-5 - Now Saul, still breathing threats and murder against the disciples of the Lord, went to the high priest, 2 and asked for letters from him to the synagogues at Damascus, so that if he found any belonging to the Way, both men and women, he might bring them bound to Jerusalem. 3 As he was traveling, it happened that he was approaching Damascus, and suddenly a light from heaven flashed around him; 4 and he fell to the ground and heard a voice saying to him, "Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me?" 5 And he said, "Who are You, Lord?" And He said, "I am Jesus whom you are persecuting,

Of course, Jesus had already ascended to the Father in heaven, and was not physically on earth. However, He dwells (in Spirit) with the people who follow Him. So before Paul's conversion - not only was he persecuting the followers of Christ, but he was also persecuting Christ.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
You are barking up the wrong tree again, "inspired" does not mean "dictated."
If I'm barking up the wrong tree, it's only because your climbing it.

You are baffled aren't you?

Old 04-07-2014, 11:08 AM

1,534 posts, read 1,994,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel A. Pettinicchio View Post
... when he said that he had to fill up what was lacking in the sufferings of Christ?

Now I rejoice in what I am suffering for you, and I fill up in my flesh what is still lacking in regard to Christ’s afflictions, for the sake of his body, which is the church. (Col 1:24)
Paul is saying his own afflictions, in his flesh, help him, remind him and to understand Christ's/prophets of God suffering[s]. Or in other words Paul interprets his suffering as the cost of his being God's servant and it also provides evidence of his devotion to God's calling on his life .

compare Mk 8:34-38; 1 Pet 2:21-25).

Old 04-07-2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
As Christians, Christ is in us. So when we suffer for Christ - HE is actually suffering also. So there is still suffering that Christ will endure as we suffer for Him on earth.

Example...

Acts 9:1-5 - Now Saul, still breathing threats and murder against the disciples of the Lord, went to the high priest, 2 and asked for letters from him to the synagogues at Damascus, so that if he found any belonging to the Way, both men and women, he might bring them bound to Jerusalem. 3 As he was traveling, it happened that he was approaching Damascus, and suddenly a light from heaven flashed around him; 4 and he fell to the ground and heard a voice saying to him, "Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me?" 5 And he said, "Who are You, Lord?" And He said, "I am Jesus whom you are persecuting,

Of course, Jesus had already ascended to the Father in heaven, and was not physically on earth. However, He dwells (in Spirit) with the people who follow Him. So before Paul's conversion - not only was he persecuting the followers of Christ, but he was also persecuting Christ.

Christ is still suffering? Really? What about, the quote: "it is finished."

It's quite confusing, Prots claim Catholics are crucifying Christ over and over again in the Mass, and here you say, he is still suffering.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshipmate View Post
Paul is saying his own afflictions, in his flesh, help him, remind him and to understand Christ's/prophets of God suffering[s]. Or in other words Paul interprets his suffering as the cost of his being God's servant and it also provides evidence of his devotion to God's calling on his life .

compare Mk 8:34-38; 1 Pet 2:21-25).
No, that's not it. Paul is saying something that you would absolutely condemn me for.

He is saying that something is lacking. What could possibly be lacking in the sufferings of Christ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity