Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2014, 05:37 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,342,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
Apparently you reject the term CHRISTIAN? To define yourself? I was taught early on....WE HAVE A FAITH...NOT MERELY A RELIGION. One that is fully through Jesus Christ. To say I and other non-Catholics or Protestants ....ARE IN ANOTHER RELIGION. Apparently is you denying being a CHRISTIAN as I claim? Or you deny non-Catholics in Churches are Christians?
Christian is defined as....a follower of the Christ... Christ...the Anointed one of God.
Yeah, I am well aware that some think they have taken the high road by denying they are following a religion. They are simply Christians. However, despite your statements you are still religious.

re·li·gion
rəˈlijən/
noun
the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.
"ideas about the relationship between science and religion"
synonyms: faith, belief, worship, creed; More
a particular system of faith and worship.
plural noun: religions
"the world's great religions"

Quote:
As Protestantism was evolving. The additions of Rome into this LAVISH NEW CHURCH OF ROME. That Constantine lavished with wealth to build Basilica's and Christianity's simple origins out of Judaism. BEGAN TO GET REMOVED.

THE EVOLVING ROMAN CHURCH HAD ADDED GRANDEUR to make A NEW CHURCH WORTHY TO REPLACE THE GRANDEUR OF PAGAN ROME. They TOOK FAR MORE THEN SOME TRADTIONS? THEY TOOK ON STATUES as Pagan Rome decorated its Temples with. All the way to THE FULL REPLACEMENT COMPLETED....CULMINATING IN TAKING ON PAGAN ROMES HIGHEST OFFICE ...THE PONTIFF AND DECLARE HIM HIGH PRIEST

Are you implying the first Christians were Protestants?

Sure, they absorbed a lot of Roman culture, but they Christianized every aspect of Roman culture. In fact, within a few short years the entire Roman Empire was Christian and the Catholic Church then spread Christianity to all of Europe which was 100% pagan. That is a huge feat (see the work of Pope Justinian the Great).

Quote:
from Wikipedia

The Pontifex Maximus (Latin, literally: "greatest pontiff") was the high priest of the College of Pontiffs (Collegium Pontificum) in ancient Rome. This was the most important position in the ancient Roman religion, open only to patricians until 254 BC, when a plebeian first occupied this post. A distinctly religious office under the early Roman Republic, it gradually became politicized until, beginning with Augustus, it was subsumed into the Imperial office. Its last use with reference to the emperors is in inscriptions of Gratian (reigned 375–383) who, however, then decided to omit the words "pontifex maximus" from his title.
The word "pontifex" later became a term used for Christian bishops, including the Bishop of Rome,and the title of "Pontifex Maximus" was applied within the Roman Catholic Church to the Pope as its chief bishop. It is not included in the Pope's official titles, but appears on buildings, monuments and coins of popes of Renaissance and modern times.

No one denies the convert Christians were Romans and as such they maintained their culture. And they converted pagan rituals into Christianity such as Christmas. So what is wrong with that?

Quote:
For the rest of CHRISTIANITY. JESUS IS OUR FINAL HIGH PRIEST. Our bodies are the Temple. The Vail to the Temples Holy of Holies was rant. No verses in the NT refer to any other as our HIGH PRIEST.
Hebrews 4:14
Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has gone to heaven, Jesus the Son of God, let us live our lives consistent with our confession of faith.
Hebrews 2:17
For this reason he had to be made like them, fully human in every way, in order that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in service to God, and that he might make atonement for the sins of the people.
Hebrews 3:1
Therefore, holy brothers and sisters, who share in the heavenly calling, fix your thoughts on Jesus, whom we acknowledge as our apostle and high priest.
Hebrews 6:20
where our forerunner, Jesus, has entered on our behalf. He has become a high priest forever, in the order of Melchizedek.
Hebrews 8:1
Now the main point of what we are saying is this: We do have such a high priest, who sat down at the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in heaven,

PROTESTANTISM holds that ONLY JESUS IS HIGH PRIEST. Making intercession for us revealed by Holy Spirit which dwells within us as our bodies the Temple.
I see nothing wrong with your religion or belief system.

Old 11-18-2014, 06:59 PM

23,148 posts, read 10,449,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Converted to what?
To Judaism.

The religion of Jesus and all his disciples.

Jesus didn't come to make a new religion, and no unauthorized religion could continue. Gentiles went to synagogue with Jews for a hundred years, and Christianity only operated under the umbrella of Judaism.

I converted to the religion of Christianity that existed in the first 100 years.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
To Judaism.

The religion of Jesus and all his disciples.

Jesus didn't come to make a new religion, and no unauthorized religion could continue. Gentiles went to synagogue with Jews for a hundred years, and Christianity only operated under the umbrella of Judaism.

I converted to the religion of Christianity that existed in the first 100 years.

Good for you! I admire the Jewish religion quite a bit. It has many old traditions that are quite beautiful and they also have the Talmud.

I have said many times before that those sanctimonious Evangelicals that constantly say we Catholics are pagan should give up Christmas, Easter, baptisms, going to church on Sundays, etc and convert to Judaism.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:36 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,281,063 times
There it is again????MY RELIGION. ANOTHER RELIGION? Are we not CHRISTIANS? ARE WE NOT OF ONE FAITH IN AND THROUGH JESUS CHRIST? I do not see different Churches as .....different Faiths or Religions. The Vatican at least since Vatican 2. Does not see most Protestants as another Religion? Especially if still Trinitarians.

Old 11-18-2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
There it is again????MY RELIGION. ANOTHER RELIGION? Are we not CHRISTIANS? ARE WE NOT OF ONE FAITH IN AND THROUGH JESUS CHRIST? I do not see different Churches as .....different Faiths or Religions. The Vatican at least since Vatican 2. Does not see most Protestants as another Religion? Especially if still Trinitarians.
You are correct! The Catholic Church has been calling for unity of all Christians for a long time. The CC left medieval times and accepts ALL Christians; being Catholic is not a requirement. However, Evangelicals want no part of this. Evangelicals need anti-Catholicism to survive.

Old 11-19-2014, 04:14 AM

Quote:

Good for you! I admire the Jewish religion quite a bit. It has many old traditions that are quite beautiful and they also have the Talmud.

I have said many times before that those sanctimonious Evangelicals that constantly say we Catholics are pagan should give up Christmas, Easter, baptisms, going to church on Sundays, etc and convert to Judaism.

I still believe in Jesus, and many people may tell me that I should say,'' Messianic Judaism.''

I just say Judaism.

I wouldn't want anyone to think that I was not loyal to Judaism, I don't want to insinuate two separate religion.

Old 11-19-2014, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
I still believe in Jesus, and many people may tell me that I should say,'' Messianic Judaism.''

I just say Judaism.

I wouldn't want anyone to think that I was not loyal to Judaism, I don't want to insinuate two separate religion.
I am in 100% agreement. For those that seek the earliest form of Christianity they need to convert to Judaism and accept Jesus. Protestant are nothing but a branch of Catholicism even if they despise the Catholic Church to seek an identity as a religious movement.

And don't get me wrong------------I understand reformers based their movement on being anti-Catholic, but we are now in the 21st century, not the 1500s.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:36 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,281,063 times
Quote:
You are correct! The Catholic Church has been calling for unity of all Christians for a long time. The CC left medieval times and accepts ALL Christians; being Catholic is not a requirement. However, Evangelicals want no part of this. Evangelicals need anti-Catholicism to survive.
Since Vatican 2 there has been a More Protestantism-style added to common Neighborhood Church Worship? Altars removed, some statues moved? Especially May ones from up front? But especially MORE SINGING AMD PROTESTANTS HYMNS, EVEN BY MARTIN LUTHER CAME IN.

But one only has to see a HIGH MASS IN A CATHREDRAL FOR THE OLD CATHOLIC WORSHIP? My understanding is Pope Ratzinger wanted a reversal? Bring Latin back ect?

Few simpler Protestant Fundamentalist find offense or feel un-Spiritual aspects in a REGULAR NEIGHBORHOOD CATHOLIC MASS. But let them see a Cathedral HIGH MASS especially at the Vatican?
They have another view.

Also before Vatican 2 ALL Protestants were rejected officially by the Vatican? After it....Anglican's and especially Trinitarian others were. The Ecumenical Movement then could begin.

I remember a Catholic was not even to step foot in a Non-Catholic Church decades ago. They feared it was sin? My strict Catholic Italian neighbor, who was my God-Mother would not attend my wedding in a Methodist Church.

Then in my state of PA Catholics endured 3 waves in 3 decades of Church Consolidations (closings)
1/3 of Parishes in my state closed, even 300 member Churches by me closed. Protestant Churches survive to a handful till they can't support the bills and upkeep. Then some times the Church building is sold for a $1 to a growing Church in need of a building.
By me my Father's Catholic Church was sold in the 80s to Moslems for a Mosque. They kept the building with the Bingo hall. It was only in 1971 a Catholic Church near that burned down and was rebuilt. That one the kept to today? But only if they knew what would come in consolidations ahead? No rebuilding would have been needed.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:06 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,313,737 times
Quote:

Yes, some aspects of Mariology are church invention, but in Catholicism the Church was given authority as per matt 16: 19. The idea behind the elaborate issue of Immaculate Conception and perennial virginity is that Jesus cannot come from anything that is deemed impure. If Mary had been conceived in the normal manner she would have transmitted Jesus "Original Sin".
Julian658 -

I do not understand the concept of the Immaculate Conception or the idea that Jesus could not have come from something that is impure. If Mary was born sinless, how can Jesus as the 2nd Adam be totally human and totally devine? I had always considered Jesus as having our human nature joined to the Holy Ghost so that He could be tempted as we are yet without sin. If Mary was sinless, how was she not fully human? And how could she have been born sinless if she was not conceived by a mother and father in the normal way. And how do we explain the words of Mark 6:[3] Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary, the brother of James, and Joses, and of Juda, and Simon? and are not his sisters here with us? And they were offended at him.

BTW you told Steeps that you did not see anything wrong with his religion. I for one would like for us all to be Christians, but I believe we need to be able to lay down all doctrines or traditions that are not backed up by the scriptures. I believe it is essential that we agree that we must repent and be able to receive the Holy Ghost [which the apostles said in Acts 5:32 that God Gives to THOSE WHO OBEY HIM, and hold on to that Spirit of the Holy Ghost until we die, bringing forth the fruits of that Spirit.

Last edited by Robert M Prince; 11-19-2014 at 09:24 AM..

Old 11-19-2014, 09:08 AM

Quote:
I am in 100% agreement. For those that seek the earliest form of Christianity they need to convert to Judaism and accept Jesus. Protestant are nothing but a branch of Catholicism even if they despise the Catholic Church to seek an identity as a religious movement.

And don't get me wrong------------I understand reformers based their movement on being anti-Catholic, but we are now in the 21st century, not the 1500s.

Too sweet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.