Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2014, 03:28 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,206,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post

[/b]Unless, of course, you are imprisoned.
Or a member of the FLDS.

Old 06-27-2014, 04:24 PM

63,874 posts, read 40,149,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
JT, this made me think of something that happened just the other day. Hubby and I went to the chiro and the receptionist, a very young, pretty woman was dressed in shorts and a casual summer blouse. She was adorable. When we left I said to hubby, snarkily joking, "She should know better than to dress so cute in an office where their main clientele are out of shape middle aged women like me. Makes us feel bad about ourselves."
Now JT, what do you think? Should young women dress dowdy so that they don't tempt older women to feel jealousy? Should pretty women in general ugly up so that the rest of us don't fall to the temptation of coveting their good looks?
Or are men's temptations the only thing women should concern themselves with?
Ah . . . Pleroo! You are truly a breath of fresh air in these forums. Great witness . . . and I can rep you!

Old 06-27-2014, 05:28 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,933,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
Wow, you are now trying to suggest I am gay now?

I don't allow myself to become aroused because I don't gawk at a woman's body. It's really simple. Just like the example that Pleroo gave, you can choose to avoid looking at something to avoid being tempted. If a woman comes up to me in a seductive manner, if she's attractive, then yes I would be aroused. Any heterosexual man in that situation would, BUT I don't put myself in that situation. When am I approached by women in that manner besides my wife? When women try it, they see the ring on my finger and back off. I have been fortunate to not have any be overly aggressive.

Do I notice women and their beauty? Sure. Does I become consume by it and lust for them? No. It's called self control. But again that's not what this thread is about. It's not about me or how other men should react.
Oh good grief!

I thoroughly enjoy looking at a comely woman, and will even make a remark of someone who is especially attractive to my girlfriend, who usually agrees with me. I appreciate the beauty, sensuality and sexuality. If a particular part of her anatomy deserves credit, I may comment on it.

Does that mean I want to trip her and beat her to the ground? Not in a million years.

I don't get where you or why you keep talking about having to control your lust. You know when your married or in a committed relationship, it's like being on a diet. You can look at the menu, you can even droll over the menu, but you can't eat of that menu.

It's not a big deal. I love looking at the menu.

Old 06-27-2014, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
As a young trout, many moons ago, I spent several months hitchhiking through Europe on a very limited $3-$5/day budget. Consequently, I spent most nights sleeping outdoors but would occasionally cough up a couple of bucks to crash at a hostel.

To my surprise, some of the showers at the hostels were communal. I found out when I padded naked into one in Amsterdam to find four young, equally-naked ladies in mid-wash. We exchanged pleasantries and I, at least, made sure to make eye contact only while doing so.

(Of course, when to and froing, my eyes may have glanced elsewhere a time or thirty.)

Be very glad, justitans, that you've never faced such a situation.

It was...terrible, just...terrible....

Was that one near the train station? We may have been in the same one... same circumstances.

As luck would have it, I met two of those young ladies again in Venice, traveled with them to Florence, Rome, Pisa and Nice, and then one continued with me to do Spain. The only hostel we were not allowed to share a room was in Rome.

Those WERE the days

Old 06-27-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Or a member of the FLDS.
Here in the buckle of our bible belt, there are a plethora of Mennonite and Hutterite colonies. I went into town today, and this is what they look like:

Hutterite:

Mennontie (they are more colorful):

Are they appropriate enough JT so you don't get lustful?

Old 06-27-2014, 08:44 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,995,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
JT, this made me think of something that happened just the other day. Hubby and I went to the chiro and the receptionist, a very young, pretty woman was dressed in shorts and a casual summer blouse. She was adorable. When we left I said to hubby, snarkily joking, "She should know better than to dress so cute in an office where their main clientele are out of shape middle aged women like me. Makes us feel bad about ourselves."

Now JT, what do you think? Should young women dress dowdy so that they don't tempt older women to feel jealousy? Should pretty women in general ugly up so that the rest of us don't fall to the temptation of coveting their good looks?

Or are men's temptations the only thing women should concern themselves with?
What is considered sin and what isn't? That's the answer to your question.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:46 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,995,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Oh good grief!

I thoroughly enjoy looking at a comely woman, and will even make a remark of someone who is especially attractive to my girlfriend, who usually agrees with me. I appreciate the beauty, sensuality and sexuality. If a particular part of her anatomy deserves credit, I may comment on it.

Does that mean I want to trip her and beat her to the ground? Not in a million years.

I don't get where you or why you keep talking about having to control your lust. You know when your married or in a committed relationship, it's like being on a diet. You can look at the menu, you can even droll over the menu, but you can't eat of that menu.

It's not a big deal. I love looking at the menu.
But do you consider yourself to be a Christian?

Old 06-27-2014, 09:40 PM

Quote:
But do you consider yourself to be a Christian?
I'm not, but how is that relevant.

The point I was making that looking at and appreciating a sexy, sexual female doesn't mean one has to control themselves to eliminate lust.

Just appreciate it like a fine painting or sculpture or sunset. Many of the finest religious paintings have nudes in them.

"Adam and Eve in Paradise" (c. 1525) By Jan Gossaert

Do you have any problems with those? Why or why not?

Last edited by cupper3; 06-27-2014 at 10:36 PM..

Old 06-27-2014, 09:45 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,405,775 times
Quote:
What is considered sin and what isn't? That's the answer to your question.
How is your question the answer? I don't get it.

Old 06-28-2014, 01:40 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,286,187 times
Quote:
So you are saying Romans 14:13 does not apply? A women has no power over men in their ability to seduce them. So a woman can wear what she wants or nothing at all and the responsibility is solely on men? What about men? Are men allowed to wear what we want without it being considered tempting women?

What I said is my own thoughts and words since I don't feel the need to quote from the Bible like so many others who do not have an original thought.

Many parts of the Bible are not literal however, the topic of the thread is how Christian women dress not how many parts of the Bible you can quote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.