Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 06:48 PM

348 posts, read 217,618 times

Advertisements

Revelation, Chapter 1, 4: John to the seven churches which are in Asia: Grace be unto you, and peace, from him which is, and which was, and which is to come; and from the seven Spirits which are before his throne;

Revelation, Chapter 3, 1: And unto the angel of the church in Sardis write; These things saith he that hath the seven Spirits of God, and the seven stars; I know thy works, that thou hast a name that thou livest, and art dead.

Revelation, Chapter 4, 5: And out of the throne proceeded lightnings and thunderings and voices: and there were seven lamps of fire burning before the throne, which are the seven Spirits of God.

Revelation, Chapter 5, 6: And I beheld, and, lo, in the midst of the throne and of the four beasts, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent forth into all the earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 07:27 PM

33,295 posts, read 26,494,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Levi View Post

Revelation, Chapter 1, 4: John to the seven churches which are in Asia: Grace be unto you, and peace, from him which is, and which was, and which is to come; and from the seven Spirits which are before his throne;

Revelation, Chapter 3, 1: And unto the angel of the church in Sardis write; These things saith he that hath the seven Spirits of God, and the seven stars; I know thy works, that thou hast a name that thou livest, and art dead.

Revelation, Chapter 4, 5: And out of the throne proceeded lightnings and thunderings and voices: and there were seven lamps of fire burning before the throne, which are the seven Spirits of God.

Revelation, Chapter 5, 6: And I beheld, and, lo, in the midst of the throne and of the four beasts, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent forth into all the earth.
The 'seven spirits of God' most likely is simply a reference to God the Holy Spirit and is most likely taken from Isaiah 11:2.
Isaiah 11:1 [Reference to Jesus Christ] Then a shoot will spring from the stem of Jesse, And a branch from his roots will bear fruit. 2] The Spirit of the LORD will rest on Him, The spirit of wisdom and understanding, The spirit of counsel and strength, The spirit of knowledge and the fear of the LORD.
Much of the imagery in Revelation is taken from the Old Testament.

The Bible Knowledge Commentary says the following.
The salutation is unusual in that it describes God the Father as the One who is, and who was, and who is to come (cf. 1:8). The seven spirits probably refers to the Holy Spirit (cf. Isa. 11:2-3; Rev. 3:1; 4:5; 5:6), though it is an unusual way to refer to the third Person of the Trinity. [The Bible knowledge Commentary, New Testament, An Exposition of the Scriptures by Dallas Seminary Faculty, p. 928]
Other commentary (online) regarding 'the seven spirits' can be read here. - Revelation 1:4 Commentaries: John to the seven churches that are in Asia: Grace to you and peace, from Him who is and who was and who is to come, and from the seven Spirits who are before His throne,

Old 05-22-2014, 08:55 PM

348 posts, read 217,618 times
Romans, Chapter 8, 2: For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.

Revelation, Chapter 11, 11: And after three days and an half the Spirit of life from God entered into them, and they stood upon their feet; and great fear fell upon them which saw them.

The Seven Spirits of God

1. The Spirit of Life

Old 05-22-2014, 09:10 PM

3,671 posts, read 2,246,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
The 'seven spirits of God' most likely is simply a reference to God the Holy Spirit and is most likely taken from Isaiah 11:2.
Isaiah 11:1 [Reference to Jesus Christ] Then a shoot will spring from the stem of Jesse, And a branch from his roots will bear fruit. 2] The Spirit of the LORD will rest on Him, The spirit of wisdom and understanding, The spirit of counsel and strength, The spirit of knowledge and the fear of the LORD.
Much of the imagery in Revelation is taken from the Old Testament.

The Bible Knowledge Commentary says the following.
The salutation is unusual in that it describes God the Father as the One who is, and who was, and who is to come (cf. 1:8). The seven spirits probably refers to the Holy Spirit (cf. Isa. 11:2-3; Rev. 3:1; 4:5; 5:6), though it is an unusual way to refer to the third Person of the Trinity. [The Bible knowledge Commentary, New Testament, An Exposition of the Scriptures by Dallas Seminary Faculty, p. 928]
Other commentary (online) regarding 'the seven spirits' can be read here. - Revelation 1:4 Commentaries: John to the seven churches that are in Asia: Grace to you and peace, from Him who is and who was and who is to come, and from the seven Spirits who are before His throne,
Mike, I'm not saying that you're right or wrong, ok. but please consider this.

Revelation 1:4 "John to the seven churches which are in Asia: Grace be unto you, and peace, from him which is, and which was, and which is to come; and from the seven Spirits which are before his throneâ€.

Revelation 1:8 "I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almightyâ€.

the Alpha and Omega, is he who,which is, and which was, and which is to come.

the beginning and the ending, is he who, which is, and which was, and which is to come

the Lord God Almighty, is he who, which was, and is, and is to come.

the First and the Last, is he who, which is, and which was, and which is to come.

the same Spirit. seven means complete, total, whole.

Listen, 1 Corinthians 12:7 "But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal. 8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit 9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; 10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will".

"he", is singular, it’s the same Spirit.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101c View Post
Mike, I'm not saying that you're right or wrong, ok. but please consider this.

Revelation 1:4 "John to the seven churches which are in Asia: Grace be unto you, and peace, from him which is, and which was, and which is to come; and from the seven Spirits which are before his throne”.

Revelation 1:8 "I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.

the Alpha and Omega, is he who,which is, and which was, and which is to come.

the beginning and the ending, is he who, which is, and which was, and which is to come

the Lord God Almighty, is he who, which was, and is, and is to come.

the First and the Last, is he who, which is, and which was, and which is to come.

the same Spirit. seven means complete, total, whole.

Listen, 1 Corinthians 12:7 "But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal. 8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit 9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; 10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will".

"he", is singular, it’s the same Spirit.
If you're talking about your diversified God theory, I do not agree with it. As for the seven spirits, again, it is most likely a reference to God the Holy Spirit.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:31 PM

Quote:
If you're talking about your diversified God theory, I do not agree with it. As for the seven spirits, again, it is most likely a reference to God the Holy Spirit.
I'm not pushing, just declaring. the letter is from the same Spirit. ok Mike,
Romans 8:9 "But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his".

Spirit of God, Spirit of Christ.
Mike is this two Spirits or ONE Spirit?.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101c View Post
I'm not pushing, just declaring. the letter is from the same Spirit. ok Mike,
Romans 8:9 "But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his".

Spirit of God, Spirit of Christ.
Mike is this two Spirits or ONE Spirit?.
Again, I do not agree with your diversified God theory. So leave it be.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Again, I do not agree with your diversified God theory. So leave it be.
that's your choice not to agree, but the word of God is not changing. one day you will see it.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:27 PM

2,854 posts, read 2,055,255 times
each pillar in the temple was an angel holding a branch with seven branches (rafters).
The angel's 2 wings makes 9.

you can find 8 of the spirits here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myers-...Type_Indicator

Judging/Perception
Extraversion/Introversion
Thinking/Feeling
Sensing/Intuition

Old 05-23-2014, 01:03 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,530,614 times
What exactly The Seven Spirits of God refers to is unknown. According to the good folks over at gotquestions.org there are 3 possible explanations. I recommend you read the article for it is far more detailed than my summary.

1. As Mike pointed out they refer to the Holy Spirit.

2. Seven angelic beings.

3. From Isa 11:2- (1) Spirit of the LORD, (2) Spirit of wisdom, (3) Spirit of understanding, (4) Spirit of counsel, (5) Spirit of power, (6) Spirit of knowledge, (7) Spirit of the fear of the Lord.

The article concludes that of these, #1 the Holy Spirit, seems most likely.

Are there other possibilities? I'm sure before this thread evaporates into cyberspace we'll have read many. I'm open to any that follow basic rules of Bible interpretation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity