Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 12:20 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,986,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
How many of the children you went to school with do you remember in full detail?
How many of your own children do you remember in full detail? So if you can't remember everything about them, it is okay for God to eternally torture them with your full blissful blessing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 01:07 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,788,953 times
Once your physical body dies if you haven't entered the kingdom of heaven you never will.

The kingdom of heaven is at hand.

"Once you have the light keep faith in the light and you will become a child of light."

Old 06-18-2014, 01:10 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,986,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post
Once your physical body dies if you haven't entered the kingdom of heaven you never will.
Book, chapter and verse please.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:26 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,260,495 times
Quote:
How many of the children you went to school with do you remember in full detail?
Huh? Wasn't really focusing on every human being a person was acquainted with. Just those they loved.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:32 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,260,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
He can't. Eternal heaven would be an eternal hell if my loved ones would never be saved. But God told us all will be saved (1 Timothy 2:4-6).
So if all will be saved .... then there will be only heaven, no hell. And so the Mother Teresas of this temporal existence will be sharing bliss with the Adolf Hitlers.

As far as I know, only one sect that believes in the after life has said that there will be no hell.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:29 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,946,645 times
Quote:
Yes they can be. But never as detailed as when we are with them and time begins to dim memories. If we add in God's spirit helping us, no suffering will be felt beyond probably the initial sadness. After all we all lose people to death we care for and the memory of them does not take up every hour of every day. I am sure Noah had family and friends who died in the flood as well, but that was their choice, not his and he did all he could.

Now I also remember my first crush. Susie. 2nd grade, Lovely little girl and a lovely woman. On the other had I did marry a girl I first met when she was 9. We met 16 years later and I could still tell her want she wore when we first met.
Lucky guy!

The ones we meet when we're young and then marry are usually the ones who we can best lay claim to being our soulmates.

Old 06-21-2014, 09:43 AM

4,217 posts, read 2,788,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Book, chapter and verse please.
Matthew 10:7 NRSA
As you go, proclaim the good news, "The kingdom of heaven has come near."

Matthew 23:13 NRSA
"But woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you lock people out of the kingdom of heaven. For you do not go in yourselves, and when others are going in, you stop them.

Luke 17:21 NRS
New Revised Standard
nor will they say, "Look, here it is!' or "There it is!' For, in fact, the kingdom of God is among you.

In the OT there is no talk of going to heaven after you die. On his death bed David said he was going the way of all men ,he did not say anything about going to heaven. Jesus said many times "the kingdom of heaven has come near meaning he was in the kingdom of heaven.

God's people are in heaven. They see Him and He sees them because they have His blessing.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:09 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,531,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
How can a person who has achieved "heaven" be happy with the knowledge that a loved one did not?

About a dozen responses over the years, e.g.:

"You're in a state of perfect bliss and do not care that your loved one is in hell."

"You in heaven will have no memory of your earthly life."

"God will feel even worse than you do that your loved one is in hell."

The responses above came from actual members of clergy, and are typical of what I have heard. Somehow, they don't respond to the question. Is there an official "party line" statement from any of the various Christian sects. or does each priest / minister simply offer his/her own take on the subject, as exemplified above?
While there are hints in Scripture, no one knows for sure. Theologians have taken the same verses and passages and come up with varying ideas. I find it safe to say that God is the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, and "He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, neither shall there be mourning nor crying nor pain.” 2 Cor 1:3, Rev 21:4. Hell has no power over heaven, Hell's miseries can no veto Heaven's joys. How that exactly plays out we simply don't know.

Old 06-22-2014, 02:52 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,483,479 times
I see the problem with this is that most everyone considers the opportunity for one's salvation to be over the moment one dies. I don't buy into that personally. Why are you saved in the first place? Are you better than someone else. Why does God call "many" and not call "all? Why does God only choose a "few" out of the "many" he calls. If the saved are to be kings, priests, and judges in the Kingdom, who are they going to be kings, priests, and judges over? Why did Christ say it would be more tolerable for Sodom in the judgment? If the saved were truly predestinated to salvation before the foundation of the world, then wouldn't that require the unsaved to be predestinated also? I say there will be not only a resurrection of the saints (First) but possibly a resurrection of the millions who died without ever having even heard of Christ into flesh bodies with a chance for salvation on an equal footing as we now have. Perhaps even a resurrection of all the dead into a flesh existence with Satan and his influence locked away for a while before being released once again to tempt these humans who had the same opportunity afforded Adam and Eve in the beginning before they were tempted.
Think about it. Maybe you were saved for the purpose of assisting in the final salvation of the world. Christ's very mission here on earth was to be "Savior of the world'. Ever consider it may not be over and Christ will accomplish his mission?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity