Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2014, 09:46 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,527,370 times

Advertisements

The following is the exact quotation from the Publisher's introduction to Thayer's Greek-English Lexicon:

Quote:
"A word of caution is necessary. Thayer was a Unitarian, and the errors of this sect occasionally come through in the explanatory notes. The reader should be alert for both subtle and blatant denials of such doctrines as the Trinity (Thayer regarded Christ as a mere man and the Holy Spirit as an impersonal force emanating from God), the inherent and total depravity of fallen human nature, the eternal punishment of the wicked, and Biblical inerrancy.

“When defining metamelomai [the Greek word for regret], Thayer refuses to draw a clear distinction between this word and metanoeo [the Greek word for a change of mind - repentance]. Underlying this refusal is the view that man is inherently good, needing Christ not as a Savior but only as an example."
Most online Bible websites include Thayer's, but without the word of caution.

What's more the introduction continues:

Quote:
"Thayer's Greek-English Lexicon and Strong's Exhaustive Concordance are based on different Greek texts of the New Testament. Strong prefers the Received Text that underlies the King James Version; Thayer, the critical text of Westcott and Hort that underlies the English Revised Version (1881) and the American Standard Version (1901) [and the NASV]."
Thayer was also on the Revised Version committee.

Should any of this matter?

I've had the following scenario brought to my attention many times. A person finds that his Bible version does not line up with my Bible version. The person then consults Thayer's Lexicon and finds it confirms his version. The person thinks he's found an error in my version. However, what has been discovered is that Thayer's Lexicon and Bible versions Thayer was involved with agree with one another. That's not much of a surprise that the author's works would agree, but it is a surprise when the person find out that two wrongs don't make a right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 10:44 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times
Thayer sounds pretty right on target in denying doctrines of men and using modern scholarship. I will pay more attention to his work.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:16 PM

63,777 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Thayer sounds pretty right on target in denying doctrines of men and using modern scholarship. I will pay more attention to his work.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:27 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,916,433 times
Quote:
"Thayer's Greek-English Lexicon and Strong's Exhaustive Concordance are based on different Greek texts of the New Testament. Strong prefers the Received Text that underlies the King James Version; Thayer, the critical text of Westcott and Hort that underlies the English Revised Version (1881) and the American Standard Version (1901) [and the NASV]."
What?

There is more than one version of the NT in the Greek texts? Who would have guessed that?

Wonder which version the Council of Nicaea used?

Old 06-26-2014, 08:34 AM

250 posts, read 218,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
What?

There is more than one version of the NT in the Greek texts? Who would have guessed that?

Not sure your comment is correct. There would not be "more than on NT in the Greek text" but rather what is being discussed is two compilations produced from some Greek text. There was not NT until some men decided to compile some Greek text together and name it such. As for your last question, the answer is neither. Those two compilations of of Greek text did not exist at the time of Nicaea's council, although some of the same Greek text later used in those compilations were used.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:55 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Al View Post
The following is the exact quotation from the Publisher's introduction to Thayer's Greek-English Lexicon:

Most online Bible websites include Thayer's, but without the word of caution.

What's more the introduction continues:

Thayer was also on the Revised Version committee.

Should any of this matter?

I've had the following scenario brought to my attention many times. A person finds that his Bible version does not line up with my Bible version. The person then consults Thayer's Lexicon and finds it confirms his version. The person thinks he's found an error in my version. However, what has been discovered is that Thayer's Lexicon and Bible versions Thayer was involved with agree with one another. That's not much of a surprise that the author's works would agree, but it is a surprise when the person find out that two wrongs don't make a right.
To be fully correct Thayer's lexicon is a continuation (and translation into English) of earlier works and his comments are in bracketts, so it is really the work of several.

Thayer’s Greek–English Lexicon is a revised and translated edition of C.G. Wilke’s Clavis Novi Testamenti, which was first published in 1841. After numerous revisions by both Wilke and his successor, C.L. Wilibald Grimm, Joseph Henry Thayer took over the project. Thayer devoted nearly thirty years to the translation—making thousands of revisions based on the latest Greek scholarship. The first publication of Thayer’s Greek–English Lexicon appeared in 1885, and an updated edition was published in 1889—the edition available from Logos Bible Software.

https://www.logos.com/product/5682/t...-new-testament

I believe Grimm was a Congregationalist (trinitarian) but am not positive.

The key is not simply what he, Grimm or Wilke said, rather the proof they offer. Then check against other scholar works and you will find agreement with the facts. A perfect lexicon, no, but a very valuable one. If a translation differs, beware and check further into the language because the vast majority of the time, Thayer's will be correct.

Most people depend on Commentaries which are full of an author's bias and can be ......... wrong.

Grammar facts do not change significantly at all and thus a good lexicon will contain the facts to allow an evaluation of a translation.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:59 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
What?

They really did not use "version" to any great degree as they argued over their own opinions and the later terms created (not in the Bible) they used to advance their ideas. The Counsel was stacked one way and was only made up of a minority of "Bishops" and had the emperors support for their views.

Old 06-26-2014, 11:22 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,916,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
They really did not use "version" to any great degree as they argued over their own opinions and the later terms created (not in the Bible) they used to advance their ideas. The Counsel was stacked one way and was only made up of a minority of "Bishops" and had the emperors support for their views.
I'm actually very aware of what happened at the Council, my comment was a bit tongue in cheek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity