Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 12:23 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,452,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
They sound like good folk, Pleroo.
A lot of them are good folk (blinded as I believe some of them are by their doctrines). And, I guarantee you that they didn't get into church work to get rich. If they had, they would have been sorely disappointed.

Quote:
I think much of it has to do with what we're raised with and traditions. I come from a family chock full of volunteer preachers.
Makes sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post
I believe those who preach for pay are termed "hirelings" are they not?
Nope, that's not the way it's used in John. The term "hireling" was used in a metaphorical way to distinguish the Good Shepherd, who OWNED the sheep, from everyone else (hirelings). It was not a term used to distinguish preachers who get paid from those who don't, with the negative connotation you are giving it -- as if getting paid to preach means that person isn't a real Christian, thb.

But, "hireling" is not a dirty word. Anyone who gets paid by other people to do something is a "hireling". Does anyone else here get paid for the work they do?

Last edited by Pleroo; 07-09-2014 at 12:51 PM.. Reason: adding for clarification

Old 07-09-2014, 01:34 PM

64,105 posts, read 40,405,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I agree with you.
Local churches aren't "The Church". They are just groups of people who gather together, drawn together by common core beliefs. Those who believe in the necessity of having a paid pastor are going to gather with others who believe the same, and the pastor(s) who serve them will be of the same belief. So, it all works out.
Full disclosure that this is personal to me. I come from a family chock full of pastors and I've been around many professional church workers all my life. Many of them are sincere people, faithfully serving and working in the profession they believe God called them to, and care deeply about the people they minister to. They give a lot to the people they work with, and they express the love of God to them in many ways far beyond their words. I don't agree with what they preach, and I don't want any part of the churches that they work in. But there are people who do, and there is nothing wrong with them being in an agreement to support these workers financially.
The doctrines of churches can hinder people's spiritual path, no doubt about it. But those who work in those churches can also play a good and important role in people's lives. I'll never understand why people think they shouldn't be paid for it if it's possible to do so.
I think this discussion is losing sight of the key feature that reveals the character of any occupation. It is NOT just the superficial aspect of compensation. As with EVERYTHING involving God . . . it is the state of mind and intent of the individuals that determines the character of everything they do. IOW . . . why they preach is more important than whether or not they are compensated for it. Those so-called preachers wallowing in wealth and extravagance in mansions, expensive cars, lifestyles and whatnot . . . should not be surprised if their state of mind and intentions in preaching are called into question. But only God knows their heart and intentions.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:44 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,487,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I think this discussion is losing sight of the key feature that reveals the character of any occupation. It is NOT just the superficial aspect of compensation. As with EVERYTHING involving God . . . it is the state of mind and intent of the individuals that determines the character of everything they do. IOW . . . why they preach is more important than whether or not they are compensated for it. Those so-called preachers wallowing in wealth and extravagance in mansions, expensive cars, lifestyles and whatnot . . . should not be surprised if their state of mind and intentions in preaching are called into question. But only God knows their heart and intentions.
This is true. My own pastor is a retired bird colonel. He has a terrific retirement. The church membership pays him $100.00 a week to defray his gasoline costs visiting the hospitals and so forth. The church missed its mortgage payment last month and was able to only pay the interest on the mortgage. The pastor refused to take his $100.00. He also tithes to the church himself.

Pastor Rick Warren has 400 assistants. He wrote "A Purpose Driven Life" and a couple of other books. Thousands attend the Saddleback Church. Pastor Warren takes no salary at all.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post

I appreciate that point of view, Mystic.

The vast majority of preachers/pastors/church workers do not fall into that category.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:28 PM

1,669 posts, read 2,256,870 times
Quote:
Pastor Warren takes no salary at all.
Pretty easy to refuse a salary when your net worth is over $25M. But then, pseudo-Christians like yourself love to disguise your appreciation for scammers like Rick Warren and Joel Osteen by pointing out their faux generosity.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:48 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,487,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post
Pretty easy to refuse a salary when your net worth is over $25M. But then, pseudo-Christians like yourself love to disguise your appreciation for scammers like Rick Warren and Joel Osteen by pointing out their faux generosity.
Just reporting the facts. That said, neither you nor I know if Rick Warren is saved or not. What satisfaction do you get out of spewing your poison? You should be ashamed of yourself. You insulted both myself and Rick Warren and you know nothing at about me for certain. You act like a brat child totally lacking in manners causing me to question what kind of parents you had.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:54 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,538,497 times
Quote:
Just reporting the facts. That said, neither you nor I know if Rick Warren is saved or not. What satisfaction do you get out of spewing your poison? You should be ashamed of yourself. You insulted both myself and Rick Warren and you know nothing at about me for certain. You act like a brat child totally lacking in manners causing me to question what kind of parents you had.
Welcome to the C-D Forum Christian Edition.

Last edited by Cephas40; 07-09-2014 at 08:12 PM..

Old 07-09-2014, 07:58 PM

20,478 posts, read 12,873,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post
Rick Warren is a reverse-tither, giving 90% and living on 10%.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:14 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,310,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Al View Post
Welcome to the C-D Forum Christian Edition.
Well, you've asked for prayer from your fellow posters several times and you continue to post, so we can't be that bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity