Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 08:24 PM

63,949 posts, read 40,236,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Al View Post
Welcome to the C-D Forum Christian Edition.
I would tread softly, Pastor. You are responsible for perpetuating the falsehood that the Bible is the 100% inerrant word of God. That doctrine has corrupted Christ's Gospel of love and promoted the kind of unloving division, dissension, and intolerance that you seem to be implying is among the Christians here. With agape love there is NO room for any such unloving behavior or attitudes toward anyone. Those who corrupt Christ's Gospel of love to spread dogma or doctrine in the "precepts and doctrines of men" carry a heavy burden into the next life, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 09:05 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,733,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I would tread softly, Pastor. You are responsible for perpetuating the falsehood that the Bible is the 100% inerrant word of God. That doctrine has corrupted Christ's Gospel of love and promoted the kind of unloving division, dissension, and intolerance that you seem to be implying is among the Christians here. With agape love there is NO room for any such unloving behavior or attitudes toward anyone. Those who corrupt Christ's Gospel of love to spread dogma or doctrine in the "precepts and doctrines of men" carry a heavy burden into the next life, IMO.
Proclaiming scripture as 100% inerrant is less of a problem for me than the doctrines which arise out of it. One of my best friends in college is a 100% inerrantist but his preaching still focuses on forgiveness and acceptance by Christians, while leaving any judgment up to God.

My favorite video preacher is Paul Washer, who is another 100% inerrantist, but who concentrates his message on how those who CLAIM to be Christian should be living. His kind of preaching was old-time Southern Baptist, of which he is one, while claiming the denomination has drifted far from what it used to practice and believe--which it has.

He preaches grace as necessary for salvation, but that where there is no fruit there is no root, and that is what the vast majority of Christians have become today---probably 95% to 98% of them according to him. He preaches not just the "small gate," but the "narrow way," whereas most evangelicals today preach the small gate but accept people living in the "broad way."

We need more preachers preaching to the people in their congregation to become more than what they are, rather than to leave them living like the rest of the world. In other words the 100% inerrantists have frequently become large on justification while ignoring regeneration.

I enjoy listening to Washer's preaching although I have a completely different view of scripture--but his heart is in the right place. And since many of his sermons are on U-Tube, I don't have to pay anything to hear about how the Word of God should be making a change in my life.

P.S. Mystic, you probably wouldn't care much for Washer because he talks frequently about hell which he claims will be filled with a lot of people who have said, "Lord, Lord." And, according to him, who in the Bible spoke more often about hell than any other person? Why it was Jesus, Himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity