Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 12:09 PM

550 posts, read 519,542 times

Advertisements

I don't.

Seeing as ALL of the Founding Fathers were Freemasons that dabbled in witchcraft and all. I would venture to say this country was founded on Masonic prinicples more than Christian ones.

From Washington all the way up to Obama. Freemasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 12:10 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,312,614 times
Darn those rascals!!

Old 07-10-2014, 12:15 PM

5,830 posts, read 7,764,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneFormula View Post
I don't.

Seeing as ALL of the Founding Fathers were Freemasons that dabbled in witchcraft and all. I would venture to say this country was founded on Masonic prinicples more than Christian ones.

Would you please link to the support for your claim that... "ALL of the Founding Fathers... dabbled in witchcraft"? I find that hard to believe and would like some proof. (They weren't ALL Freemasons either but let's focus on the more extraordinary claim.)

Old 07-10-2014, 12:23 PM

4,908 posts, read 4,258,113 times
Less than 10% of the signers of the Declaration of Independence were freemasons (9 out of 56).

About a third of the Signers of the Constitution were freemasons (13 of 39).

I'd say that the most influential Founding Fathers were John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, and Ben Franklin. Only Franklin was a mason. Jefferson had some issues with religion - but until our freedom he was legally required to attend church (British citizens in Virginia were required by law to attend church regularly). And John Adams was most definitely a Christian with puritan roots.

So, I disagree with the OP. There were a number of Christian influences in the founding of our independent nation.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:33 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,487,140 times
I dunnno. Look at the dollar bill. It has the pyramid and Osiris's eye on the back. Whatever it was founded upon, it is the greatest form of government in the world - a Republic. In their wisdom the founding fathers did their best to build in safeguard against just the tyranny of just such despots as we have currently elected to high office. We have no one to blame but ourselves.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:34 PM

4,908 posts, read 4,258,113 times
Although, the witchcraft spin is always kinda intriguing. LOL

Old 07-10-2014, 01:02 PM

10,125 posts, read 14,034,525 times
That's a really strong claim that the OP is making. I think proof is definitely needed for this discussion to bring any validity to the point being made about what the Founders believed in.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:14 PM

64,108 posts, read 40,405,006 times
Default Do you think America was founded on Christian principles?

Not really . . . but it was definitely founded on belief in God as the Declaration of Independence reveals. The politics involved in getting the Constitution accepted prevented (and rightly so) any theocratic influence. The concept of separation of church and state is a good one . . . but its current transformation into a separation of God and state is NOT! We need not bow to any version of God or theist laws in our secular society . . . but to pretend that requires that any and all acknowledgements that God exists must be eradicated from the public sphere is extreme . . . as is most activist crapola. The fact that the minority of atheists have gained traction and exploited the "establishment clause" to excess is a travesty of extremism completely without merit. Establishing a religion is considerably more than merely acknowledging the existence of God.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:16 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,503,725 times
Quote:
I don't.

Don't know about Freemasonry, but the Nation was not.

It was founded in revolution with Christians killing Christians, so not founded on Christian Principles at all.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:34 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,266,538 times
Quote:
I don't.

What is your source for such a statement?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity