Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 05:59 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,353,706 times

Advertisements

My daughter (who is 21) said something to me the other day that has really made me think. We were discussing different beliefs, denominations, etc., and she said..."The main thing is to always remember what Jesus will be judging us on come judgment day."

Matthew 25:31-46. We are told that the sheep on His right hand will be those who fed the hungry, gave to drink to the thirsty, housed a stranger, clothed the naked, and visited the sick and those in prison.

Is there anywhere else in scripture that specifically states what else Jesus will say to us on judgment day? Or will this be how we are judged?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 06:14 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,992,704 times
Not that I know of, but I am wrong on occasion.

I always looked at judgment day as when you stand there naked to the throne........and you have to explain to Jesus why you are fat while so many of his children are starving..........

Old 12-28-2008, 06:19 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,573,578 times
The Judgment Seat of Christ involves believers giving an account of their lives to Christ. The Judgment Seat of Christ does not determine salvation because Jesus sacrifice did away with that but we will give account for our lives, accounting for the sins we committed (BOY! That is going to be a long week for me). At the Judgment Seat of Christ, believers are rewarded based on how faithfully they served Christ.

(Roman 8:1) 8"Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus,"

The things we will likely be judged on are how well we obeyed the Great Commission (Matthew 28:18-20) 18 "Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have....)

Victory over sin, controling our toungue, cutting the church lawn etc......etc.....

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 12-28-2008 at 06:30 PM..

Old 12-28-2008, 06:19 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,486,084 times
Well, matthew 25 is a good place to start. That is the most unsettling passage in the NT, IMO. In Revelation Jesus exhorts the seven churches to persevere--and if they do then they'll receive the crown of life, hidden manna, among other things.

Basically we'll be judged by our deeds. We will already be clothed in Christ's righteousness, so we're saved from God's wrath and the second death; but we will be judged on what we've done (or not done) in addition to that. Did we feed the hungry? Did we forgive our brothers from our hearts? Did we persevere in spite of persecution and temptation? How were we at resisting sin? These are the ones that jump out at me at the moment.

Old 12-28-2008, 06:21 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,486,084 times
Quote:
Originally posted by Fundamentalist
The Judgment Seat of Christ, therefore, involves believers giving an account of their lives to Christ. The Judgment Seat of Christ does not determine salvation because Jesus sacrifice did away with that but we will give account for our lives good and bad (BOY! That is going to be a long week for me). We will not be rewarded based on how faithfully they served Christ
What he said

Old 12-28-2008, 06:23 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,428,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
The Judgment Seat of Christ involves believers giving an account of their lives to Christ. The Judgment Seat of Christ does not determine salvation because Jesus sacrifice did away with that but we will give account for our lives, accounting for the sins we committed (BOY! That is going to be a long week for me). At the Judgment Seat of Christ, believers are rewarded based on how faithfully they served Christ.
Ha ha ha Fundamentalist! If you just have one week, I probably have about 2 weeks of explaining.

Old 12-28-2008, 06:24 PM

709 posts, read 1,499,173 times
If the "judgment day" that Christians believe in ever comes - being a lifelong atheist, I'd be totally screwed for eternity. This is the risk I'm willing to take.

If religious people are wrong, the punishment you get is having wasted your life praying to a figment of your imagination, and basing your decisions on an ancient work of fiction. (Though if I'm right there's no point at which you'll know for sure you're wrong, because you'll be dead and your conscientiousness will cease.)

With this in mind, we can agree to disagree. Just don't push your beliefs on me through force.

Old 12-28-2008, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Libman View Post
If the "judgment day" that Christians believe in ever comes - being a lifelong atheist, I'd be totally screwed for eternity. This is the risk I'm willing to take.

If religious people are wrong, the punishment you get is having wasted your life praying to a figment of your imagination, and basing your decisions on an ancient work of fiction. (Though if I'm right there's no point at which you'll know for sure you're wrong, because you'll be dead and your conscientiousness will cease.)

With this in mind, we can agree to disagree. Just don't push your beliefs on me through force.
I won't physically touch you. Although this is kind of off topic, you did come here and speak your mind, so I will too.

I would much rather have "wasted my life" praying and living right, only to be wrong and end up dead and unconscience...rather than be in your predicament of being wrong, and having to face God, and be "screwed for eternity".

Old 12-28-2008, 06:29 PM

My question I'm really trying to get at is, can anyone quote scripture that actually tells us what Jesus will ask us on judgment day, besides what I quoted?

Old 12-28-2008, 06:38 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,573,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
My question I'm really trying to get at is, can anyone quote scripture that actually tells us what Jesus will ask us on judgment day, besides what I quoted?
Not judged on salvation
(Roman 8:1) 8"Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus,"

The things we will likely be judged on are how well we obeyed the Great Commission
(Matthew 28:18-20) 18 "Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have....)

Victory over sin (Romans 6:1-4) "6 What shall we say, then? Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase? 2 By no means! We died to sin; how can we live in it any longer? 3 Or don’t you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? 4 We were therefore buried with..."

controling our toungue (James 3:1-9) "3 Not many of you should presume to be teachers, my brothers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly. 2 We all stumble in many ways. If anyone is never at fault in what he says, he is a perfect man, able to keep his whole body in check....."

Receiving crown (2 Timothy 2:5) 5 Similarly, if anyone competes as an athlete, he does not receive the victor’s crown unless he competes according to the rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity