Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2014, 10:06 AM

1,400 posts, read 774,680 times

Advertisements

It's impossible to love that which is good without hating that which is evil.

There is such a thing as Godly jealousy. How would you feel if your wife "loved" you and fifteen other guys?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 11:23 AM

987 posts, read 1,121,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy739 View Post

There is such a thing as Godly jealousy. How would you feel if your wife "loved" you and fifteen other guys?
How does one compare the Creator to a human husband? Did the husband create the wife and know every thought she had, every experience in her life, know the character and personality she was born with that interpreted each event in her life to become the person she was? God not only knows our character but formed us in the womb. Do you think you created yourself to prefer one food over another or be a jealous individual or one who is open to new situations? Have you ever had children and know that each comes with a particular personality from the get go........demanding, as opposed to patient, etc. How does one who so intimately know His creation exhibit true jealousy? Or does he use human characterizes to show what is true and good as a reference point. But I doubt very much that God truly has petty human characteristics for He declared that He is Love and love does not utterly destroy what it created in love. We put our 'free will' above God's will, and He lets us think we have control but we cannot, else God would not get what He desires and He declares that no one can stop Him from accomplishing what He sets out to do.

I don't know all the details of how He accomplishes His purpose but I trust that He will.

Peace to us all this week.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:24 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,456,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy739 View Post

Part of the problem is people see the word "hate" applied to individuals in scripture, as a viscious emotion when in the original language it carries the though to love less. Thus the cheating wife would be loved less than before and the husband could divorce her. Malicious hate is not the issue, though some make it so, so they can promote their own ideology or denigrate the Scriptures and the men who recorded them originally.

Old 07-21-2014, 01:25 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,736,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Part of the problem is people see the word "hate" applied to individuals in scripture, as a viscious emotion when in the original language it carries the though to love less. Thus the cheating wife would be loved less than before and the husband could divorce her. Malicious hate is not the issue, though some make it so, so they can promote their own ideology or denigrate the Scriptures and the men who recorded them originally.
Well Scripture also says God "abhors" sinners and that they are the "enemies" of God and that He "curses" them, and that they are an abomination to Him. I suppose that is a great way from hatred?

Proverbs 3:32-33: “For the froward is an ABOMINATION TO THE LORD... The CURSE OF THE LORD is in the house of the wicked: but He blesseth the habitation of the just.”

Proverbs 17:5: “He that justifieth the wicked, and he that condemneth the just, even they both are ABOMINATION TO THE LORD.”

Psalm 5:6: “Thou shalt destroy them that speak leasing (lies): THE LORD WILL ABHOR THE BLOODY AND DECEITFUL MAN.”

Jeremiah 17:5: “Thus saith the Lord, CURSED BE THE MAN that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeth from the Lord.”

I Corinthians 16:22: “If any man love not the Lord Jesus Christ, let him be ANATHEMA MARANATHA [which means ACCURSED, THE LORD COMETH].”

James 4:4: “Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that friendship of the world is ENMITY WITH GOD? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is an ENEMY OF GOD.”

From
Encyclopedias - International Standard Bible Encyclopedia - Abhor

ABHOR
ab-hor':
"To cast away," "reject," "despise," "defy," "contemn," "loathe," etc.
  1. Translated in the Old Testament from the following Hebrew words amongst others:
    (ba'ash), "to be or to become stinking" (1 Samuel 27:12; 2 Samuel 16:21); (ga`al), "to cast away as unclean," "to loathe"; compare Ezekiel 16:5 the King James Version; (quts), "to loathe," "to fear" (Exodus 1:12 m; 1 Kings 11:25; Isaiah 7:16); (shaqats), "to detest" (Psalms 22:24); (ta'abh), (ta`abh), "to contemn" (Deuteronomy 23:7); (dera'on), "an object of contempt," "an abhorring" (Isaiah 66:24; Daniel 12:2 margin).
  2. Translated in the New Testament from the following Greek words:
    bdelussomai, which is derived from bdeo, "to stink" (Romans 2:22); apostugeo, derived from stugeo, "to hate," "to shrink from" (Romans 12:9).
Quote:
en'-e-mi ('oyebh, tsar, tsar; echthros): "Enemy," "enemies," are frequent words in the Old Testament. The Hebrew word most often so translated is 'oyebh, meaning perhaps literally, "one who hates"; very frequent in the Psalms, e.g. 3:7; 6:10; 7:5; 8:2; 9:3,1; 13:2, where the cry is often for deliverance from enemies. Another word for "enemy," found chiefly in the poetical books, is tsar, or tsar, "distresser," "straitener" (Nu 10:9; Job 16:9; Ps 27:2,12, the Revised Version (British and American) "adversary," etc.); also tsarar (Est 3:10; Ps 8:2; 10:5 the King James Version, etc.).
ENEMY in the Bible Encyclopedia - ISBE (Bible History Online)

Quote:
ABOMINATION
The word most often translated "abomination" to denote grave moral offenses is Tōʻēḇā.

Tōʻēḇā is also used in Jewish (and Christian Old Testament) scriptures to refer to:
  1. idolatry or idols (Deuteronomy 7:25, Deuteronomy 13:14, Isaiah 44:19)
  2. illicit sex (Ezekiel 16:22,58, Ezekiel 22:11, Ezekiel 33:26)
  3. illicit marriage (Deuteronomy 24:2-4)
  4. male prostitution and/or other male homosexual acts (see Homosexuality in the Hebrew Bible) and (collectively) heterosexual immorality (Leviticus 18:22, Leviticus 18:27-30, Leviticus 20:13)
  5. temple prostitution (1Kings 14:24)
  6. offerings from the above (Deuteronomy 23:18)
  7. child sacrifice (Jeremiah 32:35)
  8. cross-dressing (Deuteronomy 22:5)
  9. cheating in the market by using rigged weights (Deuteronomy 25:13-19, Proverbs 11:1)
  10. dishonesty (Proverbs 12:22)
  11. dietary violations (Deuteronomy 14:3)
  12. stealing, murder, and adultery, breaking covenants (Jeremiah 7:9,10)
  13. usury, violent robbery, murder, oppressing the poor and needy, etc. (Ezekiel 18:10-13)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abomination_(Bible)

If hate is WORSE and means we are simply loved less, then to be abhorred, accursed, or the enemy of God means that "less" love is certainly a frightful position to be in.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:03 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,426,118 times
Okay Warden. I'm abhorred, rejected, despised and cursed by God. I'm disgusting and contemptible and an abomination in the eyes of God. God's hatred of me is terrifying in it's intensity.

Now what?

Old 07-21-2014, 09:42 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,423,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Okay Warden. I'm abhorred, rejected, despised and cursed by God.
I'm disgusting and contemptible and an abomination in the eyes of God.

God's hatred of me is terrifying in it's intensity.

Now what?
You left out, filthy rag? Although, I disagree with the whole concept.
I take great pleasure in living this life, even in difficult times.
For me, it’s not a matter of punishment and/or rewards.

"It's about loving others."

Last edited by Jerwade; 07-21-2014 at 09:54 PM..

Old 07-21-2014, 10:06 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,518,513 times
Quote:
Okay Warden. I'm abhorred, rejected, despised and cursed by God. I'm disgusting and contemptible and an abomination in the eyes of God. God's hatred of me is terrifying in it's intensity.

Now what?
Repent is the command of God to be listened to:
Acts 17:30
In the past God overlooked such ignorance, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent.

Isaiah 59:20
“The Redeemer will come to Zion, to those in Jacob who repent of their sins,” declares the Lord.

2 Corinthians 7:10
Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret,
but worldly sorrow brings death.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:11 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,736,596 times
Quote:

Now what?
Are there any of the words of Jesus that you choose to believe--or all they all discarded?

Matt 7:21
Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Matt 7:26-27
And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand: And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.

Matt 10:38
And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.

Matt 12:31 Luke 11:23
He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad.

Matt 12:36-37
But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.
For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

Matt 22:14
For many are called, but few are chosen.

Luke 6:46
And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?

Luke 9:62
And Jesus said unto him, No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.

Luke 13:3
I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

Luke 14:27
And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple.

Luke 21:33-36
Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away.
And take heed to yourselves, lest at any time your hearts be overcharged with surfeiting, and drunkenness, and cares of this life, and so that day come upon you unawares.
For as a snare shall it come on all them that dwell on the face of the whole earth.
Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man.

John 3:5
Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

John 5:28-29
Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,
And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

John 8:24
I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.

John 15:6
If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.

John 15:10
If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

Last edited by Wardendresden; 07-21-2014 at 10:21 PM.. Reason: formatting--NEVER paste red lettering!!

Old 07-21-2014, 11:00 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,423,926 times
Where does it say, "hatred leads us to repentance?"
It would be form of terrorism, producing nothing but fear.

Last edited by Jerwade; 07-21-2014 at 11:09 PM..

Old 07-22-2014, 12:13 AM

45,724 posts, read 27,340,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Where does it say, "hatred leads us to repentance?"
It would be form of terrorism, producing nothing but fear.
Truth can lead to repentance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity