Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2014, 02:23 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,142,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Where does it say, "hatred leads us to repentance?"
It would be form of terrorism, producing nothing but fear.
Romans 2:4 says it is God's love that leads to repentance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 03:23 AM

37,340 posts, read 28,358,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Repent is the command of God to be listened to:
Acts 17:30
In the past God overlooked such ignorance, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent.

Isaiah 59:20
“The Redeemer will come to Zion, to those in Jacob who repent of their sins,” declares the Lord.

2 Corinthians 7:10
Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret,
but worldly sorrow brings death.

Can you in layman's terms tell us what repenting is. We know the cause of it is the goodness of God( Romans 2:4).

Should we also repent from being hateful or is that ok because we are only being like our heavenly father ?.

Old 07-22-2014, 05:06 AM

37,340 posts, read 28,358,215 times
to open their eyes and turn them from darkness to light. Acts 26:17

Unless you have had your eyes opened to all your misconceptions about God with such things that he is hateful and angry you are still in darkness and remain in your sin.

The goodness of God does not open our eyes to the darkness we are in but to the Light we are called to live in.........behold the Light of the world. Yes this is opposite to watch orthodox christianity teaches, but it is what the scriptures teach.

The people living in darkness have seen a great Light. Matt 4:16.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:36 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,741,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Truth can lead to repentance.
It also works the other way round:

"Opponents must be gently instructed, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading them to a knowledge of the truth"

My personal experience was truth first, which made me realize how lost I was, then repentance, and then more truth.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:00 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,422,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Okay Warden. I'm abhorred, rejected, despised and cursed by God. I'm disgusting and contemptible and an abomination in the eyes of God. God's hatred of me is terrifying in it's intensity.

Now what?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Are there any of the words of Jesus that you choose to believe--or all they all discarded?

Matt 7:21
Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Matt 7:26-27
And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand: And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.

Matt 10:38
And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.

Matt 12:31 Luke 11:23
He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad.

Matt 12:36-37
But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.
For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

Matt 22:14
For many are called, but few are chosen.

Luke 6:46
And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?

Luke 9:62
And Jesus said unto him, No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.

Luke 13:3
I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

Luke 14:27
And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple.

Luke 21:33-36
Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away.
And take heed to yourselves, lest at any time your hearts be overcharged with surfeiting, and drunkenness, and cares of this life, and so that day come upon you unawares.
For as a snare shall it come on all them that dwell on the face of the whole earth.
Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man.

John 3:5
Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

John 5:28-29
Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,
And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

John 8:24
I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.

John 15:6
If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.

John 15:10
If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

Okay, so since God hates me, I need to be really, really sorry that I'm so disgusting to God and I need to read a bunch of bible verses and hope I can figure out the CORRECT meaning of things like picking up my cross and being born of water and spirit, so I can do whatever those things mean. And I need to ALWAYS be praying/begging God to allow me to escape from his wrath. And I need to determine exactly what the commandments are that I'm supposed to be keeping and then DO that. And, if it turns out I CAN do all that without ever once "looking back from the plough" AND if I'm one of the lucky few that's actually called AND chosen, and if I never do anything to displease God ever again, then God will stop hating me?

Is that what your wall of bible quotes is meant to convey to me?

Old 07-22-2014, 08:21 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,406,769 times
Quote:
Actually we do not have any copies that pre-date Christ.

Old Testament Manuscripts

The Sacred Page: Old Testament Manuscripts

If anything, the OT has more problems than the NT. So whatever Jesus read in the synagogues--in Aramaic--it is not likely to be the same as what we have except in a most general way.

The emphasis on original autographs, whatever they were, was not particularly a concern of God anyway, as Jeremiah proves. So just how much value does God put on the originals?

To get the answer we must explore several chapters in the book of Jeremiah beginning with the famous passage in chapter 36 concerning the roll that Jeremiah had written. In verse 21 the roll is brought before King Jehoiakim and read by his servant Jehudi. According to verse 23 Jehudi read three or four leaves and King Jehoiakim cut it up with a penknife and cast it into the fire on the hearth until it was destroyed.
Thus ends ORIGINAL #1 !

Then the Lord moved Jeremiah to rewrite the roll adding some words to it. (Jeremiah 36:32)
Thus ORIGINAL #2 is born. We are shown the text of this second original in Jeremiah 45-51 where it is reproduced for our benefit. Jeremiah told Seraiah to read this roll when he came into Babylon. (Jeremiah 51:59-61) Then Jeremiah instructed Seraiah, after he finished reading the roll, to bind a stone to it and cast it into the Euphrates river (Jeremiah 51:63)!
Thus ends ORIGINAL #2!

But wait! We have a copy of the text of the roll in chapters 45-51. Where did it come from? It came from a copy of original #2 which we can only call ORIGINAL #3!

So there are two very big problems for those who overemphasize the "originals".
(1) Every Bible ever printed with a copy of Jeremiah in it has a text in chapters 45-51 which is translated from a copy of the "second" original, or ORIGINAL #3. (2) Secondly, NO ONE can overlook the fact that God didn't have the least bit of interest in preserving the "original" once it had been copied and its message delivered. So WHY should we put more of an emphasis on the originals than God does? An emphasis which is plainly unscriptural.
Amen brother. What people fail to realise is that what the Mazorites did by adding the vowels was adding to the scriptures a their own commontary on the scriptures.

For instance if the word was pr they could make a case for the pr to mean either poor or pure, and depending on their own understanding of what God had said they added the vowels to suit their understanding.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:58 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,451,457 times
Quote:
Well Scripture also says God "abhors" sinners and that they are the "enemies" of God and that He "curses" them, and that they are an abomination to Him. I suppose that is a great way from hatred?

Proverbs 3:32-33: “For the froward is an ABOMINATION TO THE LORD... The CURSE OF THE LORD is in the house of the wicked: but He blesseth the habitation of the just.”

Proverbs 17:5: “He that justifieth the wicked, and he that condemneth the just, even they both are ABOMINATION TO THE LORD.”

Psalm 5:6: “Thou shalt destroy them that speak leasing (lies): THE LORD WILL ABHOR THE BLOODY AND DECEITFUL MAN.”

Jeremiah 17:5: “Thus saith the Lord, CURSED BE THE MAN that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeth from the Lord.”

I Corinthians 16:22: “If any man love not the Lord Jesus Christ, let him be ANATHEMA MARANATHA [which means ACCURSED, THE LORD COMETH].”

James 4:4: “Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that friendship of the world is ENMITY WITH GOD? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is an ENEMY OF GOD.”

From
Encyclopedias - International Standard Bible Encyclopedia - Abhor

ABHOR
ab-hor':
"To cast away," "reject," "despise," "defy," "contemn," "loathe," etc.
  1. Translated in the Old Testament from the following Hebrew words amongst others:
    (ba'ash), "to be or to become stinking" (1 Samuel 27:12; 2 Samuel 16:21); (ga`al), "to cast away as unclean," "to loathe"; compare Ezekiel 16:5 the King James Version; (quts), "to loathe," "to fear" (Exodus 1:12 m; 1 Kings 11:25; Isaiah 7:16); (shaqats), "to detest" (Psalms 22:24); (ta'abh), (ta`abh), "to contemn" (Deuteronomy 23:7); (dera'on), "an object of contempt," "an abhorring" (Isaiah 66:24; Daniel 12:2 margin).
  2. Translated in the New Testament from the following Greek words:
    bdelussomai, which is derived from bdeo, "to stink" (Romans 2:22); apostugeo, derived from stugeo, "to hate," "to shrink from" (Romans 12:9).

ENEMY in the Bible Encyclopedia - ISBE (Bible History Online)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abomination_(Bible)

If hate is WORSE and means we are simply loved less, then to be abhorred, accursed, or the enemy of God means that "less" love is certainly a frightful position to be in.
Notice that it is the action, intent, attitude or environment that is hated.

The CURSE OF THE LORD is in the house of the wicked

He that justifieth the wicked, and he that condemneth the just

THE LORD WILL ABHOR THE BLOODY AND DECEITFUL MAN.”

It is the action that is hated and what it does to the person. God no longer loves such enough to give them life .... unless they change.

Yes that can mean to reject, abhor, see as an abomination and the actions that cause that also cause the person to be hated by God, but NOT the same as the actions. The person can repent and change, the actions will always be disgusting and hated.God did not send his Son to die for people he hated and it says God LOVFD the World, and in Scripture that means mankind, good and bad. He just loves some enough to give them life.
After all we are told to Love our enemies, even when they do what God hates. In this way we imitate God and His Son.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:02 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,451,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
Amen brother. What people fail to realise is that what the Mazorites did by adding the vowels was adding to the scriptures a their own commontary on the scriptures.

For instance if the word was pr they could make a case for the pr to mean either poor or pure, and depending on their own understanding of what God had said they added the vowels to suit their understanding.
Actually the did not change anything by adding vowels, as the words were still known as to pronunciation. They just made it possible for those who did not know the language to say the words. Consonats alone are OK if you are taught the proper way to say the words, but adding the KNOWN sounds (vowels) is an aid to others.

Kinda like our

"BLDG" and we tell someone who does not know the language it is "Building".

Nothing changed in meaning, just an aid in pronunciation for those not knowing the language.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:35 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,733,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Okay, so since God hates me, I need to be really, really sorry that I'm so disgusting to God and I need to read a bunch of bible verses and hope I can figure out the CORRECT meaning of things like picking up my cross and being born of water and spirit, so I can do whatever those things mean. And I need to ALWAYS be praying/begging God to allow me to escape from his wrath. And I need to determine exactly what the commandments are that I'm supposed to be keeping and then DO that. And, if it turns out I CAN do all that without ever once "looking back from the plough" AND if I'm one of the lucky few that's actually called AND chosen, and if I never do anything to displease God ever again, then God will stop hating me?

Is that what your wall of bible quotes is meant to convey to me?
I asked if you reject His words. If you do, then you have created your own religion. Just don't call it Christianity.

The problem for belief by both fundamentalists and universalists is exactly that. Both groups have trouble accepting ALL of Jesus words. Some of His words we have recorded are very difficult to assimilate.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:43 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,422,592 times
Quote:
I asked if you reject His words. If you do, then you have created your own religion. Just don't call it Christianity.

And I asked you what one is to do once they're convinced that God hates, abhors, rejects and despises them? You posted a wall of passages in response. Is my summation of those passages your answer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity