Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 02:35 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,855,202 times

Advertisements

I see many posts about subjective truth, perceptive truth, objective truth... and some say truth is what you make it. Jesus, when presented before Pilate:

Matthew 18:37 Then Pilate said, “So you are a king!” Jesus replied, “You say that I am a king. For this reason I was born, and for this reason I came into the world – to testify to the truth. Everyone who belongs to the truth listens to my voice.” 18:38 Pilate asked, “What is truth?”

Jesus's answer to Pilate is not in the context of these passages. So what do we say when we are asked; "What is truth"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 04:01 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,278,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
So what do we say when we are asked; "What is truth"?
Thought-provoking post, dave. One thing I know is true.. once I was bound, now I am free! And that's usually a good place to start... but it doesn't end there!

Old 12-19-2007, 04:40 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,504,693 times
Jesus is the truth.

John 14:6 (NIV)
6Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Old 12-19-2007, 06:51 PM

174 posts, read 505,531 times
The difficulty with truth comes when one is unprepared to test the spirits. The Holy Spirit was called the Spirit of Truth by Christ. The Bible tells us that the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth, but if we cannot judge correctly the spirit, then the fruit is corrupt.

When we lack wisdom and do not know if an idea or message is from God or not, the Spirit is faithful to begin leading us into truth. He will show Scripture, speak to our hearts; confirming what is truth and exposing what is error. Here He truly is our "comforter" keeping us safe from the errant doctrines of devils.

We may avail ourselves of the research of others, we may listen to their findings with the Spirit at our side, but each of us should seek the Spirit to lead us personally. And since He is no respector of persons, He shall.

"When He is come, He will guide you into all truth"

Old 12-19-2007, 07:47 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,505,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
The difficulty with truth comes when one is unprepared to test the spirits. The Holy Spirit was called the Spirit of Truth by Christ. The Bible tells us that the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth, but if we cannot judge correctly the spirit, then the fruit is corrupt.

When we lack wisdom and do not know if an idea or message is from God or not, the Spirit is faithful to begin leading us into truth. He will show Scripture, speak to our hearts; confirming what is truth and exposing what is error. Here He truly is our "comforter" keeping us safe from the errant doctrines of devils.

We may avail ourselves of the research of others, we may listen to their findings with the Spirit at our side, but each of us should seek the Spirit to lead us personally. And since He is no respector of persons, He shall.

"When He is come, He will guide you into all truth"
Why is it that christians disagree on so many "truths" of the bible. We believe that Jesus is the atonement for our sins and obviously that is the one truth we have to know. But aside from that,there is a lot of debate as to what God`s word says about a lot of things. Chrisitans today can`t even agree on who Jesus is or what his words meant. This message board is a good example of that. Everyone thinks they pray,go to church,read their bibles,listen to their preacher and so they know, without a doubt in their minds that what they believe is the truth,the whole truth and nothing but the truth. You can take two 80 year old men who have been praying all of their lives. Men who spend hours a day reading and studying the bible,on their faces before God searching for the truth. You can ask them the same question about a multitude of topics in the bible and they will give you two different answers. It could be osas,the trinity,eternal damnation,pre-trib,post -trib,mid-trib or a host of other questions and you would get different answers. Each one swearing that he knew the truth because the Holy Spirit led him. How many truths are there?

Old 12-19-2007, 09:34 PM

174 posts, read 505,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
Why is it that christians disagree on so many "truths" of the bible. We believe that Jesus is the atonement for our sins and obviously that is the one truth we have to know. But aside from that,there is a lot of debate as to what God`s word says about a lot of things. Chrisitans today can`t even agree on who Jesus is or what his words meant. This message board is a good example of that. Everyone thinks they pray,go to church,read their bibles,listen to their preacher and so they know, without a doubt in their minds that what they believe is the truth,the whole truth and nothing but the truth. You can take two 80 year old men who have been praying all of their lives. Men who spend hours a day reading and studying the bible,on their faces before God searching for the truth. You can ask them the same question about a multitude of topics in the bible and they will give you two different answers. It could be osas,the trinity,eternal damnation,pre-trib,post -trib,mid-trib or a host of other questions and you would get different answers. Each one swearing that he knew the truth because the Holy Spirit led him. How many truths are there?
There is one truth, but pride often obscures the originator. I have no doubt that I will be given correction to my understanding, but some are going to be sent straight to Christianity 101.

Pride can rule a man's heart and mind. Sometimes we trust too much in the conviction of another. We respect and admire them, and when they seem to possess more knowledge than we do, we do not question their interpretation. One quick give-away is their temper. Not always so, sometimes it is just a lack of maturity. Sometimes it is misplaced zeal, or frustration at the inability to defend what they believe, right or wrong.

Peter was hot-headed in his youth, but after the indwelling Spirit of the Lord got ahold of him, he matured. Yet, we find his epistles afire in a different vein. His pride was no longer originating from within himself, but within God. But, there are those who's pride is in self and when their views are confronted will give that away by their anger. Questioning their convictions injures their pride. If their pride was in the Lord, they would at most feel the grieving of the Spirit.

If the truth you possess is the Lord's, then it is up to Him to defend it. If your truth is from your own mind, then the questioning of it is the questioning of you and so you are the injured party. Thus, you take on criticism personally.

It is similar for the immature Christian who is called upon to defend their beliefs. They cannot defend their beliefs because they have failed to "Study to show thyself approved unto God". Again, since they cannot defend from a complete understanding of the Word, they take it personally and feel frustrated.

We all seek truth. But some, rather than seek the hidden things of God from the Spirit to the glory of God, seek a special truth which they alone can share, drawing disciples to themselves. They apply their own reasoning to the Scriptures and thereby are adding to the Word. Others take on false doctrine to excuse their sin and soothe their conscience:

Quote:
II Timothy 4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
In short, what you ask is the result of our fallen human nature. What many Christians fail to do is move on to maturity and be conformed to the image of Christ, replacing our own nature for His. The origins of errant doctrine are from the demonic, voiced by man. It is promulgated by both the saved and the sinner. At the core is the necessity to give up all that we know in exchange for the Truth given by our Lord. We must count ourselves as nothing and seek out the Truth of our Lord. We are counted as priests now, we mustn't place teachers between us and Christ. That designation was earned by the death of Christ on the cross so that we be cleansed in the Blood and approach the throne of grace boldly. The temple veil was rent so that we might have a better way, an advocate in both Christ and the Spirit with the Father.

It doesn't matter what man says, rely on the Spirit to guide you into all truth. If we lack wisdom, we are to ask and the Lord promises to give. But, that promise was given with a warning against being double minded. Thus, we ask in faith, nothing wavering, pride diminished and with love for the truth of the Lord.

Old 12-20-2007, 06:42 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,201,856 times
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." (John 14:6)

"But ye have not so learned Christ; If so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus" (Ephesians 4:20,21)

Old 12-20-2007, 06:51 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,709,259 times
What is Truth? (John 18:37) It is that Jesus came to bear witness to the truth of God's plan for the world.

The Truth is; Jesus is the only way to God and heaven; the only saving truth is His word; and in Him is found the only real life.
John 14:6 Jesus said to him, " I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.

How can one receive this truth?
John 3:16, God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
Acts 2:38, Then Peter said to them, "Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

How does one abide in this truth?
John 15:5, I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing.
John 15:10, If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father's commandments and abide in His love.
John 14:26, But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:18 AM

24 posts, read 48,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
I see many posts about subjective truth, perceptive truth, objective truth... and some say truth is what you make it. Jesus, when presented before Pilate:

Matthew 18:37 Then Pilate said, “So you are a king!” Jesus replied, “You say that I am a king. For this reason I was born, and for this reason I came into the world – to testify to the truth. Everyone who belongs to the truth listens to my voice.” 18:38 Pilate asked, “What is truth?”

Jesus's answer to Pilate is not in the context of these passages. So what do we say when we are asked; "What is truth"?
I'm almost shocked that you asked this question. Jesus's voice was written on paper, if that makes sense. The gospels quote what Christ Spoke. Then Jesus sent his Disciples out to preach the truth(his word) which was eventually giuded by the holy spirit. Which they did an excellent job of doing. Jesus made the old testament credible by using it in as refrences in his teachings...

Old 12-20-2007, 10:41 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,855,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_lee052 View Post
I'm almost shocked that you asked this question. Jesus's voice was written on paper, if that makes sense. The gospels quote what Christ Spoke. Then Jesus sent his Disciples out to preach the truth(his word) which was eventually giuded by the holy spirit. Which they did an excellent job of doing. Jesus made the old testament credible by using it in as refrences in his teachings...
Let me unshock you... the answer is provided but in a statement from Jesus. ThenPilate asks "what is truth"?

Pilate's question is the quintessential post modernistic question. ... kinda like the "what would Jesus say" mindset. When confronted by such ambiguity I find it important to know what truth is. Not many of us carry Wikapedia or google search with us as we attempt to deliver the good news. It is the responsiblity of every believer to be a good steward of truth.

The question is actually from classic apologetics. A spiritual exercise of the mind.... if you will.

How's dat?

Last edited by Dave_n_Tenn; 12-20-2007 at 11:27 AM.. Reason: added comment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity