Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 12:41 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,498,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
There is one truth, but pride often obscures the originator. I have no doubt that I will be given correction to my understanding, but some are going to be sent straight to Christianity 101.

Pride can rule a man's heart and mind. Sometimes we trust too much in the conviction of another. We respect and admire them, and when they seem to possess more knowledge than we do, we do not question their interpretation. One quick give-away is their temper. Not always so, sometimes it is just a lack of maturity. Sometimes it is misplaced zeal, or frustration at the inability to defend what they believe, right or wrong.

Peter was hot-headed in his youth, but after the indwelling Spirit of the Lord got ahold of him, he matured. Yet, we find his epistles afire in a different vein. His pride was no longer originating from within himself, but within God. But, there are those who's pride is in self and when their views are confronted will give that away by their anger. Questioning their convictions injures their pride. If their pride was in the Lord, they would at most feel the grieving of the Spirit.

If the truth you possess is the Lord's, then it is up to Him to defend it. If your truth is from your own mind, then the questioning of it is the questioning of you and so you are the injured party. Thus, you take on criticism personally.

It is similar for the immature Christian who is called upon to defend their beliefs. They cannot defend their beliefs because they have failed to "Study to show thyself approved unto God". Again, since they cannot defend from a complete understanding of the Word, they take it personally and feel frustrated.

We all seek truth. But some, rather than seek the hidden things of God from the Spirit to the glory of God, seek a special truth which they alone can share, drawing disciples to themselves. They apply their own reasoning to the Scriptures and thereby are adding to the Word. Others take on false doctrine to excuse their sin and soothe their conscience:

In short, what you ask is the result of our fallen human nature. What many Christians fail to do is move on to maturity and be conformed to the image of Christ, replacing our own nature for His. The origins of errant doctrine are from the demonic, voiced by man. It is promulgated by both the saved and the sinner. At the core is the necessity to give up all that we know in exchange for the Truth given by our Lord. We must count ourselves as nothing and seek out the Truth of our Lord. We are counted as priests now, we mustn't place teachers between us and Christ. That designation was earned by the death of Christ on the cross so that we be cleansed in the Blood and approach the throne of grace boldly. The temple veil was rent so that we might have a better way, an advocate in both Christ and the Spirit with the Father.

It doesn't matter what man says, rely on the Spirit to guide you into all truth. If we lack wisdom, we are to ask and the Lord promises to give. But, that promise was given with a warning against being double minded. Thus, we ask in faith, nothing wavering, pride diminished and with love for the truth of the Lord.
So what is the truth concerning eternal salvation? What is the truth concering the rapture? What is the truth concerning a trinity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 04:10 PM

174 posts, read 504,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
So what is the truth concerning eternal salvation? What is the truth concering the rapture? What is the truth concerning a trinity?
I'll admit I am quite wordy and fortunately I took typing in high school, but those are no small questions you have asked. Were they rhetorical or sincere? or do you wish my opinion without proof texts?

Old 12-20-2007, 10:28 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,498,647 times
Quote:
I'll admit I am quite wordy and fortunately I took typing in high school, but those are no small questions you have asked. Were they rhetorical or sincere? or do you wish my opinion without proof texts?
They are sincere. I am here to read,listen ,learn and share my opinions. Just because I share my opinion doesn`t mean I`m not asking for a true opinion of someone else. I know it doesn`t always come across that way in the written word. I have changed my mind before on doctrinal issues. so,I`m here to learn. A lot of topics or threads I don`t comment on because I haven`t given it much study or prayed about it. This is one that interest me. The bible says there is only one truth and we all think we know the truth or it has been revealed to us by God`s Spirit. So,there are people on here..Christians...who have a different opinion on those topics and use scripture..God`s Word ..to back up their opinions. How can they all be right? Like I said before,2.. 80yr old men can be on their face before God praying everyday and have different interpretations on scripture. How do we know who is right and are we ready to say so and so doesn`t have the truth but I do?

Old 12-21-2007, 07:35 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,270,827 times
Quote:
They are sincere. I am here to read,listen ,learn and share my opinions. Just because I share my opinion doesn`t mean I`m not asking for a true opinion of someone else. I know it doesn`t always come across that way in the written word. I have changed my mind before on doctrinal issues. so,I`m here to learn. A lot of topics or threads I don`t comment on because I haven`t given it much study or prayed about it. This is one that interest me. The bible says there is only one truth and we all think we know the truth or it has been revealed to us by God`s Spirit. So,there are people on here..Christians...who have a different opinion on those topics and use scripture..God`s Word ..to back up their opinions. How can they all be right? Like I said before,2.. 80yr old men can be on their face before God praying everyday and have different interpretations on scripture. How do we know who is right and are we ready to say so and so doesn`t have the truth but I do?
(I'm waiting for Scamp's answer, but just a thot)... I agree with Scamp that there is only one truth. There can only be one. But, while I also believe that God would like us to study out and each search out the truth, I don't think we can expect to know all the truth on this earth. I don't think that to know everything is a requisite for salvation. But as Scamp mentioned, being humble, listening to the Holy Spirit, and being willing to learn and study, will go a long way. If there is something God would like to teach us about, He will show it to us by the Holy Spirit. We can't figure it out on our own.

Old 12-21-2007, 03:07 PM

174 posts, read 504,930 times
Quote:
This isn't my thread and for me to expound upon my views is divergent from the OPs topic. If you start your own thread about those particular subjects, then if I catch it, I will reply. If you truly wish to delve into a serious discussion, send me a message and I will provide you access to a board on another site. I am busy there at the moment with upgrades and development.

Old 12-22-2007, 02:58 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,324,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dojilynn View Post
Jesus is the truth.

John 14:6 (NIV)
6Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
Amen!!! Well said!!!! I totally agree!!! "JESUS IS THE TRUTH" this is truly a great response

Old 12-22-2007, 05:05 AM

436 posts, read 1,174,082 times
Jesus is the Truth. christianity is very simple ladies and gentlemen - Jesus is the truth. He is the embodiment of all truth, goodness, love, light, life. He is the truth. Now just because many, including christians, struggle to digest this fact, and fully yield in to the Truth, that doesnt change what, or rather who, the Truth is.

Old 12-22-2007, 06:56 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,693,980 times
Quote:
There is one truth, but pride often obscures the originator. I have no doubt that I will be given correction to my understanding, but some are going to be sent straight to Christianity 101.

Pride can rule a man's heart and mind. Sometimes we trust too much in the conviction of another. We respect and admire them, and when they seem to possess more knowledge than we do, we do not question their interpretation. One quick give-away is their temper. Not always so, sometimes it is just a lack of maturity. Sometimes it is misplaced zeal, or frustration at the inability to defend what they believe, right or wrong.

Peter was hot-headed in his youth, but after the indwelling Spirit of the Lord got ahold of him, he matured. Yet, we find his epistles afire in a different vein. His pride was no longer originating from within himself, but within God. But, there are those who's pride is in self and when their views are confronted will give that away by their anger. Questioning their convictions injures their pride. If their pride was in the Lord, they would at most feel the grieving of the Spirit.

If the truth you possess is the Lord's, then it is up to Him to defend it. If your truth is from your own mind, then the questioning of it is the questioning of you and so you are the injured party. Thus, you take on criticism personally.

It is similar for the immature Christian who is called upon to defend their beliefs. They cannot defend their beliefs because they have failed to "Study to show thyself approved unto God". Again, since they cannot defend from a complete understanding of the Word, they take it personally and feel frustrated.

We all seek truth. But some, rather than seek the hidden things of God from the Spirit to the glory of God, seek a special truth which they alone can share, drawing disciples to themselves. They apply their own reasoning to the Scriptures and thereby are adding to the Word. Others take on false doctrine to excuse their sin and soothe their conscience:

In short, what you ask is the result of our fallen human nature. What many Christians fail to do is move on to maturity and be conformed to the image of Christ, replacing our own nature for His. The origins of errant doctrine are from the demonic, voiced by man. It is promulgated by both the saved and the sinner. At the core is the necessity to give up all that we know in exchange for the Truth given by our Lord. We must count ourselves as nothing and seek out the Truth of our Lord. We are counted as priests now, we mustn't place teachers between us and Christ. That designation was earned by the death of Christ on the cross so that we be cleansed in the Blood and approach the throne of grace boldly. The temple veil was rent so that we might have a better way, an advocate in both Christ and the Spirit with the Father.

It doesn't matter what man says, rely on the Spirit to guide you into all truth. If we lack wisdom, we are to ask and the Lord promises to give. But, that promise was given with a warning against being double minded. Thus, we ask in faith, nothing wavering, pride diminished and with love for the truth of the Lord.
Thank you for this wisdom. I'm so hearing what the Lord Jesus is wanting the people to hear. I have seen all of this in my life at one time or another. I now want my pride to diminish (flesh) and be given to that love for the truth of the Lord....I desired a complete sanctified life. And will seek it until the Lord Jesus grants it to this servant. That I may be called His friend!!!
Thank you in His love and blessed hope.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:14 PM

98 posts, read 100,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
I see many posts about subjective truth, perceptive truth, objective truth... and some say truth is what you make it. Jesus, when presented before Pilate:

Matthew 18:37 Then Pilate said, “So you are a king!” Jesus replied, “You say that I am a king. For this reason I was born, and for this reason I came into the world – to testify to the truth. Everyone who belongs to the truth listens to my voice.” 18:38 Pilate asked, “What is truth?”

Jesus's answer to Pilate is not in th
e context of these passages. So what do we say when we are asked; "What is truth"?
What do you mean truth is what you make it?
truth is evident if you are honest, Look into your soul it is there,
Do you get angry? Do you judge?
Are your thoughts pure?
It's not what you make it, its what God is showing you. Look within, it is there.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:32 PM

98 posts, read 100,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
I see many posts about subjective truth, perceptive truth, objective truth... and some say truth is what you make it. Jesus, when presented before Pilate:

Matthew 18:37 Then Pilate said, “So you are a king!” Jesus replied, “You say that I am a king. For this reason I was born, and for this reason I came into the world – to testify to the truth. Everyone who belongs to the truth listens to my voice.” 18:38 Pilate asked, “What is truth?”

Jesus's answer to Pilate is not in the context of these passages. So what do we say when we are asked; "What is truth"?
I did not realize I replied to an old post the truth is that was asleep.Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity