Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 10:19 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,442,894 times

Advertisements

I grew up in a total Baptist family. Even though I went to church as a child, I felt that the seed was planted in me, but I just was being too rebellious to give my life totally over to the Lord. When my wife and I married, we both were not saved, and about the third month in our marriage she started studying with Jehovah's Witnesses and wanted me to study with them too. After a short study with them, I came to the realization that their theology didn't make sense to me.

I thank God for his Holy Spirit, and my remembering what I was taught in church for me not to accept the JWs theology. Now almost 20 years later, I am a born again christian as a result of my studying with the JWS (allowing the Lord through prayer to lead me to the truth) and coming to the realization that I needed to join a church that teaches the bible systematically.

My wife doesn't attend church with me because she accepts the JWs theology and would rather go to their meetings instead, even though she has not become baptized.

As far as our marriage, we don't discuss religion in the household, she knows where I stand, and I know where she stands. We do tend to discuss general topics and stay away from doctrinal topics that would lead to debating.

So my question is to you all reading this post. Is your spouse a different religion than you? If so, do you two discuss religion or not? Is the difference in religions a problem or not in your marriage?

To my unmarried christians. If you fell in love with a person who is a different religion than you, would you still marry that person or want him or her to convert to your religion if you didn't agree with their religion's teachings?

I look forward to reading your posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 07:51 AM

1,250 posts, read 3,507,545 times
First of all, in answer to your question, my husband and I are the same religion. But I think this is a serious issue, and not just because of the "equally yoked" verse. There is a lot of logic behind this idea of marrying someone who is in complete agreement with you spiritually. Just looking at these forums, it is easy to see that religion is a hot-button topic. People can rarely discuss their differing viewpoints on religion without the conversation getting heated. If this is a married couple, it could very easily lead to a strained relationship, if not divorce. Also, if you bring children into the situation, it just adds another dimension of strife. I know that if my husband was of a different religion, I would have an issue with my children attending his church, and he would likely have an issue with them going to church with me.

This post is just my observations of what could happen. I know that there are people who have been able to make it work somehow. I just don't know that I could make it work. It would be difficult for me.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:18 AM

7,525 posts, read 17,023,847 times
She has her faith and I have mine. I share through the way I treat her and the world around me. She has learned that a strong man can pray. No conflicts so far.........

Old 02-23-2009, 11:16 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,779,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
To my unmarried christians. If you fell in love with a person who is a different religion than you, would you still marry that person or want him or her to convert to your religion if you didn't agree with their religion's teachings?
I would never ask some to convert to my religion, it is their choice. not mine. But at the same time I would NEVER marry outside of my religion.

Old 02-23-2009, 03:46 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,734,604 times
My wife and I both attend the same church. When I was single I had a few opportunities to date non-Christian women. They were good friends and I really wanted to date them, but I found that they were not centered in Christ, and as much as I liked them, I simply could not date a non-believer.

When I met my wife it was the same deal. I knew she was a Christian, but I didn't know her. On our first date we discussed what we each believed theologically. We don't always agree on every point but that is okay. We learn from one another and continually grow.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:26 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,442,894 times
Thanks for the responses.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:03 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,734,604 times
The reason I brought up theology with my wife on our first date is because I didn't want to get into another relationship where we were not spiritually yoked. My previous girlfriend was a Christian but I was more on the baptist end of life and she was more on the charismatic end. We had the same general beliefs....but we were just too different as people.

My wife was very similar to me, but of course not exact. I wouldn't want that anyway. Sure marriage has been a lot of work...even with the same beliefs it's hard work. But I know that when I take the kids to AWANA on Wednesday nights and we get connected in small groups, my wife is right there with me. I'm thankful I get to spend eternity with my sweetheart!

Old 02-25-2009, 07:46 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,701,423 times
I was raised Lutheran and my husband Baptist. His father is a Baptist preacher. When we got together neither one of us was attending any church. Neither one of us at this time had attended a church in years. We eventually tried going to Baptist churches. And tried several other churches. Eventually found home in the Methodist church. For many reasons. But the most important thing that my husband and I did...was we took religion out of it. Although churches are broke down to different religions we decided to go and seek and find where we were closer to the Lord.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:44 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,317,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
I grew up in a total Baptist family. Even though I went to church as a child, I felt that the seed was planted in me, but I just was being too rebellious to give my life totally over to the Lord. When my wife and I married, we both were not saved, and about the third month in our marriage she started studying with Jehovah's Witnesses and wanted me to study with them too. After a short study with them, I came to the realization that their theology didn't make sense to me.

I thank God for his Holy Spirit, and my remembering what I was taught in church for me not to accept the JWs theology. Now almost 20 years later, I am a born again christian as a result of my studying with the JWS (allowing the Lord through prayer to lead me to the truth) and coming to the realization that I needed to join a church that teaches the bible systematically.

My wife doesn't attend church with me because she accepts the JWs theology and would rather go to their meetings instead, even though she has not become baptized.

As far as our marriage, we don't discuss religion in the household, she knows where I stand, and I know where she stands. We do tend to discuss general topics and stay away from doctrinal topics that would lead to debating.

So my question is to you all reading this post. Is your spouse a different religion than you? If so, do you two discuss religion or not? Is the difference in religions a problem or not in your marriage?

I look forward to reading your posts.
I'm not married but if I ever do I would never marry someone opposite of my faith. That would cause problems later down the line. I'm Christian so I would never marry someone who is muslim, etc. Because If we had children, I would raise my children to follow Christ, not allah or muhammad. So, there would be a problem in who to worship. I love all people and religions, but God says to not be unevenly yoked.

Well, me personally I get to know the person before hand. So, if I really like a guy and He tells me that He is muslim, JW, Buddist and so on, we can still be friends, but I would never date him anymore.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:01 AM

1 posts, read 4,086 times
I have a big problem now. I'm engaged with my partner who is a Roman Catholic. I used to be one but now I'm already a Born Again Christian.On my part, I respect him if he doesn't want to convert and go to church with me, but the big problem now is that he wants us to have the same religion. He wants me to be Roman Catholic again. He believes that it would create a big problem especially with our future children if we have different religions. I don't know what to do anymore. It seems like we have to split up because he can't accept my preferred religion. It's ok for me of we are different.. But to him it's an absolute no, I love him so much but i can't just give up on what I believe in too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity