Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 09:26 AM

243 posts, read 813,390 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Since I was in Pre-Kindergarden, I attended a private Catholic school until I was in eighth grade. My parents divorced when I was seven years old and it devastated me and my sister. My sister, as well, was enrolled at the same school. We were both military brats as my father is USMC and we were also baptized when we were little and received communion. But when my ninth grade year came, my mother moved us and we ended up going into a public school for the first time. It was scary but then I kind of got used to it; although it was very different. I could totally see the difference right away. Kids fighting all the time over things that seemed stupid. Students not feeling engaged in their education. Within my first year there I ended up befriending these girls who were totally on the wrong side of the crowd. They were into sex, drugs, alcohol, and staying out late. I felt so alone because I didn't know anyone so becoming friends with these girls was a little exciting for me. I ended up doing bad things as well and got in trouble for it. As the years went by, we (my sister and I) lost touch with my religious side. Our neighbors at the time were Jehovah Witnesses and tried to convert us but I didn't feel "right" within that community. So we tried going to a Christian church with my other neighbor. I ended up liking it because it felt like a Catholic church but again because I wasn't in the right place with myself, I lost touch with it.

I felt myself changing since I went to this public school. Yes, some things were better during that time but I started off on the wrong foot. From hanging out with those girls, I did pretty much everything except the sex part. My sister and I made a pact that we would save ourselves until we found that one special person. In my later years (after graduating H.S.), I went through a few dating relationships but of course the men only wanted one thing but I wasn't ready for that. So I stopped looking. One day I get an interesting email from a guy from work. We went out a few times and we instantly fell in love. We did not pressure me at all to do things I didn't want to. We communicated on a different level and found comfort within each other. Because I decided to listen to my inner self, about a year and a half later we got engaged and ended up getting the news that we were pregnant! How exciting but it was also shocking. I know this is the man for me and he feels the same way. Now that I am almost 6 months pregnant, the talk about having Godparents, private schools, and getting baptized is coming up.

This may seem a little weird but I've been watching the Duggar family on TV and they have really inspired me to get back in touch with God. My fiance is not a religious person. He never went to church and has never read the Bible. I always read about these stories and I feel that it is time for us to make a change. We plan on getting married within the next couple months, before the baby gets here. But I want my child to experience God, religion, church, and all the other benefits from being a Christian. My fiance is a little hesitant but I'm not sure how to get him in all the way. He is currently enlisted in the USAF and we are waiting to get stationed. The town we live in is about 95% white people and still have some issues with inter-racial relationships. I am Hawaiian and Portuguese and my fiance is pure Caucasian (English, Irish, French, Etc.). So I don't know if this place is a good place to start but the baby will be coming soon.

I've thought about starting off with Bible studies at home. Since we will be stationed within the next few months or so, I'm not sure how to start our new life together as far as being more religious and getting in touch with God. My other question is, since I was born as a Catholic, how can I convert myself into being a Christian?

Any advice, or suggestion would help.

Thank you and God bless...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 10:28 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,888,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arodrigues88 View Post
Hello,

Since I was in Pre-Kindergarden, I attended a private Catholic school until I was in eighth grade. My parents divorced when I was seven years old and it devastated me and my sister. My sister, as well, was enrolled at the same school. We were both military brats as my father is USMC and we were also baptized when we were little and received communion. But when my ninth grade year came, my mother moved us and we ended up going into a public school for the first time. It was scary but then I kind of got used to it; although it was very different. I could totally see the difference right away. Kids fighting all the time over things that seemed stupid. Students not feeling engaged in their education. Within my first year there I ended up befriending these girls who were totally on the wrong side of the crowd. They were into sex, drugs, alcohol, and staying out late. I felt so alone because I didn't know anyone so becoming friends with these girls was a little exciting for me. I ended up doing bad things as well and got in trouble for it. As the years went by, we (my sister and I) lost touch with my religious side. Our neighbors at the time were Jehovah Witnesses and tried to convert us but I didn't feel "right" within that community. So we tried going to a Christian church with my other neighbor. I ended up liking it because it felt like a Catholic church but again because I wasn't in the right place with myself, I lost touch with it.

I felt myself changing since I went to this public school. Yes, some things were better during that time but I started off on the wrong foot. From hanging out with those girls, I did pretty much everything except the sex part. My sister and I made a pact that we would save ourselves until we found that one special person. In my later years (after graduating H.S.), I went through a few dating relationships but of course the men only wanted one thing but I wasn't ready for that. So I stopped looking. One day I get an interesting email from a guy from work. We went out a few times and we instantly fell in love. We did not pressure me at all to do things I didn't want to. We communicated on a different level and found comfort within each other. Because I decided to listen to my inner self, about a year and a half later we got engaged and ended up getting the news that we were pregnant! How exciting but it was also shocking. I know this is the man for me and he feels the same way. Now that I am almost 6 months pregnant, the talk about having Godparents, private schools, and getting baptized is coming up.

This may seem a little weird but I've been watching the Duggar family on TV and they have really inspired me to get back in touch with God. My fiance is not a religious person. He never went to church and has never read the Bible. I always read about these stories and I feel that it is time for us to make a change. We plan on getting married within the next couple months, before the baby gets here. But I want my child to experience God, religion, church, and all the other benefits from being a Christian. My fiance is a little hesitant but I'm not sure how to get him in all the way. He is currently enlisted in the USAF and we are waiting to get stationed. The town we live in is about 95% white people and still have some issues with inter-racial relationships. I am Hawaiian and Portuguese and my fiance is pure Caucasian (English, Irish, French, Etc.). So I don't know if this place is a good place to start but the baby will be coming soon.

I've thought about starting off with Bible studies at home. Since we will be stationed within the next few months or so, I'm not sure how to start our new life together as far as being more religious and getting in touch with God. My other question is, since I was born as a Catholic, how can I convert myself into being a Christian?

Hello "88"...thank you for being open to the Lord. Regardless of one's background, converting to Christian (born-again) starts with a simple prayer to God. Please read this guideline:

God's Plan of Salvation | Bible.org; NET Bible, Bible Study

You don't need to be a "member" of any particular church denomination to do this. This change to Christian is a lifetime pact between you and God alone, not between you and some church. While it doesn't hurt, nobody else needs to pray with you in order to become born-again...you can do it yourself in prayer to God. Church affiliation is a related topic, but is not the same. It doesn't matter that you were raised Catholic (or any other denomination), because everybody must come to salvation the same way: through Jesus Christ...there is no other way. You can pick out a church that you like later, but right now being born-again is of prime importance. You can become a Christian right now today...in your own home. I (and a LOT of others I'm sure) will be praying for you and your boyfriend. (and the little one on the way)

PS: that link wasn't very clear on HOW to become a Christian, but it explained pretty well the "why's and what-for's". The "how" of it is just a simple prayer. There is no "magic" single prayer formula. In your own words, just pray to God, wherever you are. Find a place where you can be alone, and talk to God. Something perhaps like this: "Father God, I believe you sent your son to die for my sins, to become my personal Lord and Savour, and now I accept and receive Him. Please forgive me for all the wrong I've ever done. Please guide me, and teach me, the rest of my life. Amen."

God bless you!
Bud

Last edited by BudinAk; 01-17-2010 at 10:57 AM..

Old 01-17-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
Hello "88"...thank you for being open to the Lord. Regardless of one's background, converting to Christian (born-again) starts with a simple prayer to God. Please read this guideline:

God's Plan of Salvation | Bible.org; NET Bible, Bible Study

You don't need to be a "member" of any particular church denomination to do this. This change to Christian is a lifetime pact between you and God alone, not between you and some church. While it doesn't hurt, nobody else needs to pray with you in order to become born-again...you can do it yourself in prayer to God. Church affiliation is a related topic, but is not the same. It doesn't matter that you were raised Catholic (or any other denomination), because everybody must come to salvation the same way: through Jesus Christ...there is no other way. You can pick out a church that you like later, but right now being born-again is of prime importance. You can become a Christian right now today...in your own home. I (and a LOT of others I'm sure) will be praying for you and your boyfriend. (and the little one on the way)

God bless you!
Bud
Hello! Thank you for your support and your prayers. I did read the guideline you linked me to. Very insightful! Unfortunately, I do not have a Bible so I'll need to get one as soon as possible. I guess that's where I can start next. I always read a lot of stories about born-again Christians and it makes me smile. If other people can do it. So can I. Do you have any suggestions how I can bring this upon my fiance as well? Let me know.

Thank you.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:59 AM

1,315 posts, read 1,869,447 times
Quote:
We plan on getting married within the next couple months, before the baby gets here.
You could elope and do the official public wedding as planned. Just an idea. Hopefully the Lord will lead you in what He wants you to do.

Quote:
But I want my child to experience God, religion, church, and all the other benefits from being a Christian.
Parents should always lean on the Lord for that. Since we are called to have a personal recociled relationship with God through Jesus Christ, then learning of Him through the scriptures and praying to Jesus Christ in talking to Him is the best way: not all that runarounds that the catholic churches had added to Him. Relating to Jesus means to relate directly to Him. When the parent lead by example, then with God's help, the children will follow, valuing their relationship with Jesus Christ as well.

Singing gospel songs to the baby and talking about Jesus from time to time in sharing the joy of your salvation is probably a best way to witness to your soon to be husband as well.

Quote:
My fiance is a little hesitant but I'm not sure how to get him in all the way. He is currently enlisted in the USAF and we are waiting to get stationed. The town we live in is about 95% white people and still have some issues with inter-racial relationships. I am Hawaiian and Portuguese and my fiance is pure Caucasian (English, Irish, French, Etc.). So I don't know if this place is a good place to start but the baby will be coming soon.
Only the Father can draw him unto the Son. Praying to Jesus for help in this matter is a good thing to do. He may provide opportunities in witnessing to him.

Quote:

Learn about Jesus Christ through the scriptures in how He is the Good News to man, and may the Lord restore unto you the joy of your salvation.

This is how we become His as well as saved.

John 3: 14And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: 15That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. 16For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 1:12But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: 13Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

Ephesians 1:11In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will: 12That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ. 13In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, 14Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory. 15Wherefore I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus, and love unto all the saints,

Colossians 1: 20And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven. 21And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled 22In the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight: 23If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister;

This is why Jesus Christ is the Good News and why He shall receive the full glory as Saviour.

Now the call to every believer is to live that reconciled relationship with God through Jesus Christ: trusting Him to be their Good Shepherd to lead them and guide them in the way they ought to go. That is why the just shall live by faith for that faith rests in Jesus Christ and all His promises to us. That is why we are to learn of Him through the scriptures, leaning on Him to understand His words in the King James Bible, so that our love may abound more and more in the knowledge of Him and all His promises to us.

Ephesians 2: 8For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9Not of works, lest any man should boast. 10For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

And the works God hath ordained that we should walk in them is this:

1 John 3:22And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight. 23And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment. 24And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

Romans 13: 8Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law. 9For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 10Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

It is unfortunate that you did not wait till you got married to have sex, but Jesus is able to forgive all sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness: not a few, not some.. not most of it, but all unrighteousness.

1 John 1: 9If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

Anyway, by believing in Him, you were already His, but now the call is to get to know Him and the power of His resurrection when you trust Him to be Your Good Shepherd as well as Your Saviour. That home Bible study is a good place to start after going before the throne of grace.

Hebrews 4:12For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. 13Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do. 14Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession. 15For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. 16Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enow View Post
You could elope and do the official public wedding as planned. Just an idea. Hopefully the Lord will lead you in what He wants you to do.

Parents should always lean on the Lord for that. Since we are called to have a personal recociled relationship with God through Jesus Christ, then learning of Him through the scriptures and praying to Jesus Christ in talking to Him is the best way: not all that runarounds that the catholic churches had added to Him. Relating to Jesus means to relate directly to Him. When the parent lead by example, then with God's help, the children will follow, valuing their relationship with Jesus Christ as well.

Singing gospel songs to the baby and talking about Jesus from time to time in sharing the joy of your salvation is probably a best way to witness to your soon to be husband as well.

Only the Father can draw him unto the Son. Praying to Jesus for help in this matter is a good thing to do. He may provide opportunities in witnessing to him.

Learn about Jesus Christ through the scriptures in how He is the Good News to man, and may the Lord restore unto you the joy of your salvation.

This is how we become His as well as saved.

John 3: 14And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: 15That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. 16For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 1:12But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: 13Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

Ephesians 1:11In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will: 12That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ. 13In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, 14Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory. 15Wherefore I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus, and love unto all the saints,

Colossians 1: 20And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven. 21And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled 22In the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight: 23If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister;

This is why Jesus Christ is the Good News and why He shall receive the full glory as Saviour.

Now the call to every believer is to live that reconciled relationship with God through Jesus Christ: trusting Him to be their Good Shepherd to lead them and guide them in the way they ought to go. That is why the just shall live by faith for that faith rests in Jesus Christ and all His promises to us. That is why we are to learn of Him through the scriptures, leaning on Him to understand His words in the King James Bible, so that our love may abound more and more in the knowledge of Him and all His promises to us.

Ephesians 2: 8For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9Not of works, lest any man should boast. 10For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

And the works God hath ordained that we should walk in them is this:

1 John 3:22And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight. 23And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment. 24And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

Romans 13: 8Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law. 9For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 10Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

It is unfortunate that you did not wait till you got married to have sex, but Jesus is able to forgive all sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness: not a few, not some.. not most of it, but all unrighteousness.

1 John 1: 9If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

Anyway, by believing in Him, you were already His, but now the call is to get to know Him and the power of His resurrection when you trust Him to be Your Good Shepherd as well as Your Saviour. That home Bible study is a good place to start after going before the throne of grace.

Hebrews 4:12For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. 13Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do. 14Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession. 15For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. 16Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

Wow. It is amazing how powerful reading scriptures are! That's pretty much what my face looks like. Thank you for that. Yes, we did think about eloping just because everything is so backwards right now. I just want to do the right thing you know. This really helps me see the light and see what God wants me to do with my life, my soon-to-be husband, and unborn child. I will start to pray everyday in hopes of bringing me closer with God.

Thank you and God bless you!

Old 01-17-2010, 04:39 PM

28,103 posts, read 29,992,707 times
Quote:
My other question is, since I was born as a Catholic, how can I convert myself into being a Christian?
You didn't believe in Christ when you were a Catholic? Or is it just that just something you picked up when you became a "Christian"?

Old 01-17-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
You didn't believe in Christ when you were a Catholic? Or is it just that just something you picked up when you became a "Christian"?
Hello. Maybe I'm not understanding what you're asking me...

I believe in God, Christ, and Jesus...

My question was, since I have only known about Catholic preaches is there anything different that I need to do in order to become Christian?

Thank you.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:03 PM

48 posts, read 40,076 times
Hi 88, Catholics are Christians, in fact it is the oldest form of Christianity. Receiving God's graces through the sacraments of the Church will lead you to a beautiful closeness with God and will give you strength and blessings in your family life. We as humans are made of mind, body, and soul. Our marriages should unite us in all three of those areas. When our minds or bodies go in our old age, what keeps us together is our souls and faith in God. I am also engaged and am getting married in the Catholic Church and will be attending marriage preparation sessions with my fiance. Since you made all of your other Sacraments in the church, why not the Sacrament of Marriage? Do you have a Catholic Church near you? If so, I would look into the marriage prep. It's free advice and in this day and age, who can't use that?

Old 01-17-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centraljersian View Post
Hi 88, Catholics are Christians, in fact it is the oldest form of Christianity. Receiving God's graces through the sacraments of the Church will lead you to a beautiful closeness with God and will give you strength and blessings in your family life. We as humans are made of mind, body, and soul. Our marriages should unite us in all three of those areas. When our minds or bodies go in our old age, what keeps us together is our souls and faith in God. I am also engaged and am getting married in the Catholic Church and will be attending marriage preparation sessions with my fiance. Since you made all of your other Sacraments in the church, why not the Sacrament of Marriage? Do you have a Catholic Church near you? If so, I would look into the marriage prep. It's free advice and in this day and age, who can't use that?
Hello!

That is some really good insight. I appreciate it. When I was younger, my best friend and I went to Christian camps for the summer and had an awesome time. I just remember the differences between Christian and Catholic church - if that makes sense.

I would honestly love to have our wedding and marriage in front of God in a Catholic church but I'm not sure if there is one around where I live. We are new to this area and want to be married before the baby comes as well. Yes, I have personally thought about marriage prep but again I'm stuck because I'm not sure where to go around here. I'll do some research and see if I can find anything.

Thank you and God bless!

Old 01-18-2010, 06:05 PM

1,315 posts, read 1,869,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centraljersian View Post
Hi 88, Catholics are Christians, in fact it is the oldest form of Christianity.
Then why be called catholic? Why not just christian? If the disciples were called christian first at Antioch in the Bible, where was a believer called a catholic in the Bible? See my point?

So why be called a catholic?

Quote:
Receiving God's graces through the sacraments of the Church will lead you to a beautiful closeness with God and will give you strength and blessings in your family life.
And that is why you call yourselves catholic, right? A step beyond what a christian is.

Quote:
We as humans are made of mind, body, and soul. Our marriages should unite us in all three of those areas. When our minds or bodies go in our old age, what keeps us together is our souls and faith in God. I am also engaged and am getting married in the Catholic Church and will be attending marriage preparation sessions with my fiance. Since you made all of your other Sacraments in the church, why not the Sacrament of Marriage? Do you have a Catholic Church near you? If so, I would look into the marriage prep. It's free advice and in this day and age, who can't use that?
So to answer the OP's inquiry... how to become a christian from a catholic? Drop catholicism and the RCC and just have a personal reconciled relationship with God through Jesus Christ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity