Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 10:41 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,436,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
One thing, and one thing only is a requirement to be born again or regenerated, and that one thing is to simply believe in the Lord Jesus Christ in response to the gospel message. While works are a part of the believer's life following having been born again, those works have absolutely nothing to do with becoming born again and entering into an eternal, saving family relationship with God.

To be born again, simply put your trust in Jesus Christ who did ALL the work that was necessary to make eternal salvation possible for mankind, and a reality for those who believe in Him.

When Jesus was talking about working for the food that endures to eternal life, He was asked what those works (plural) of God were. He replied that the only work (singular) of God was to believe in Him.
John 6:27 "Do not work for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give to you, for on Him the Father, God, has set His seal." 28] Therefore they said to Him, "What shall we do, so that we may work the works of God?" 29] Jesus answered and said to them, "This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent."
The apostle Paul states that we are saved by grace through faith, and NOT by works, that no man may boast.
Titus 3:5 He saved us, not on the basis of deeds which we have done in righteousness, but according to His mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewing by the Holy Spirit, 6] whom He poured out upon us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, 7] so that being justified by His grace we would be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

Ephesians 2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; 9] not as a result of works, so that no one may boast. 10] For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.
While it is plainly seen that the believer should produce good works, it is just as plainly seen that we are saved not by works, but by grace alone, through faith alone, in Christ alone. Both grace and faith are set in contradistinction to works.
Romans 11:6 But if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works, otherwise grace is no longer grace.
Since eternal life is freely given by grace and received through faith in Christ Jesus, both of which exclude works, then eternal life cannot be earned by any works of righteousness on our part.

To be born again or regenerated, it is faith alone in Christ alone. Not faith plus works, or anything else added to faith. If you have believed that Jesus Christ died for you personally (died for your sins), and was resurrected, therefore placing your trust in Him, then you have been born again and are eternally secure.
Hey Mike, and AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMEN!!!!! You nailed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 01:25 AM

33,346 posts, read 26,564,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
Hey Mike, and AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMEN!!!!! You nailed it.
Hey Antredd. Thanks. I had a good hammer.

Old 07-28-2014, 04:19 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,031,828 times
All I know about the term being born again is that Jesus said "Ye must be born again" and then he began talking about how the Holy Spirit is like the wind that blows wherever it will and you cannot see it coming nor do you know where it goes. I think this may point to the fact that being born of the Spirit is supposed to remain somewhat of a mystery - meaning, you may not be "born again" just by believing on the name of Christ, but at some future time in your journey with God - perhaps at the time of death as some believe. I would not say I am sure about this. I let it remain mysterious and it does not worry me.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:02 AM

33,346 posts, read 26,564,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
All I know about the term being born again is that Jesus said "Ye must be born again" and then he began talking about how the Holy Spirit is like the wind that blows wherever it will and you cannot see it coming nor do you know where it goes. I think this may point to the fact that being born of the Spirit is supposed to remain somewhat of a mystery - meaning, you may not be "born again" just by believing on the name of Christ, but at some future time in your journey with God - perhaps at the time of death as some believe. I would not say I am sure about this. I let it remain mysterious and it does not worry me.
No need for it to be a mystery. 1 Peter 1:23 tells us that believers have been born again.
1 Peter 1:23 having been born again not of seed which is perishable but imperishable, that is, through the living and enduring word of God.
anagegennēmenoi - having been born again is in the Greek Perfect tense. The meaning of the Greek Perfect tense is as follows.
Perfect Tense
The basic thought of the perfect tense is that the progress of an action has been completed and the results of the action are continuing on, in full effect. In other words, the progress of the action has reached its culmination and the finished results are now in existence. Unlike the English perfect, which indicates a completed past action, the Greek perfect tense indicates the continuation and present state of a completed past action.
Greek Verbs (Shorter Definitions)

HELPS Word-studies

313 anagennáō (from 303 /aná, "up, again," which intensifies 1080 /gennáō, "give birth") – properly, born-again or "born from on high."

313 /anagennáō ("born again, from above") is used twice in the NT (1 Pet 1:3,23) – both times referring to God regenerating a believer (giving a supernatural, new birth).

[313 (anagennáō) "does not occur in classical or Septuagintal Greek. Any use elsewhere (i.e. outside the NT) is disputed (cf. Moulton-Milligan; Selwyn, First Epistle of St. Peter, 122)" (CBL). This underlines the importance of its two occasions in the NT (1 Pet 1:3,23).]

Strong's Greek: 313. ????????? (anagennaó) -- to beget again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity