Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was His death planned, and what was its purpose?
Gos planned it as a settlement for our sins, so that those who believe would have everlasting life 67 67.00%
Not planned by God, but His death still serves as an example and it "restores the community" 2 2.00%
Planned by God in order to release the Holy Spirit to men 5 5.00%
Jesus did not die for our sins, He was murdered 26 26.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 02:39 PM

14,905 posts, read 17,212,127 times

Advertisements

Jesus understood that it was God's plan for Him to suffer and die. God bless.

John 12
24 Truly, truly, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it bears much fruit. 25 He who loves his [h]life loses it, and he who hates his life in this world will keep it to life eternal. (aionios) 26 If anyone [j]serves Me, he must follow Me; and where I am, there My servant will be also; if anyone [k]serves Me, the Father will honor him

[i]27 "Now My soul has become troubled; and what shall I say, ‘Father, save Me from this hour’? But for this purpose I came to this hour. 28 Father, glorify Your name." Then a voice came out of heaven: "I have both glorified it, and will glorify it again." 29 So the crowd of people who stood by and heard it were saying that it had thundered; others were saying, "An angel has spoken to Him." 30 Jesus answered and said, "This voice has not come for My sake, but for your sakes. 31 Now judgment is upon this world; now the ruler of this world will be cast out. 32 And I, if I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all men to Myself." 33 But He was saying this to indicate the kind of death by which He was to die."

Old 08-09-2014, 02:44 PM

63,941 posts, read 40,218,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Acts 2 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
22 “Men of Israel, listen to these words: Jesus the Nazarene, a man [r]attested to you by God with [s]miracles and wonders and [t]signs which God performed through Him in your midst, just as you yourselves know— 23 this Man, delivered over by the predetermined plan and foreknowledge of God, you nailed to a cross by the hands of [u]godless men and put Him to death. 24 [v]But God raised Him up again, putting an end to the [w]agony of death, since it was impossible for Him to be held [x]in its power.
God bless.
How these transliterations are translated can make a huge difference in what is infrred from the, Shana. Verse 23 in the passage you highlighted is an example:

delivered over by the predetermined plan and foreknowledge of God,

Versus KJV:

being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God

The Greek is:

ekdotos horizō boulē kai prognōsis theos

being delivered G1560 = ekdotos (given over to the power of)
by the determinate G3724 = horizō (the determined)
counsel G1012 = boulē (advice)
and G2532 = kai (and)
foreknowledge G4268 = prognōsis (knowledge)
of God, G2316 = theos (God)

You see this as the predetermined plan of God demanding it . . . but I see it as simply following the counsel (advice) and knowledge of God. These are legitimate differences that make the notion that there is one absolute way to interpret scripture problematic. Making your interpretations of scripture the absolute criterion for truth is a dangerous path, Shana. We can disagree . . . but we should not pretend we have the truth and others do not. All sincere believers use scripture and sincerely follow Christ. To do so in agape "love of God and each other" and repenting when we don't is the surest way to do so, IMO. I know that you feel the same . . . even if we are not in the same boat, Shana.

Old 08-09-2014, 02:45 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,731,758 times
Quote:
Hebrews 5:8 and Acts 2:23, Isaiah 53: 1-8, Finn. God bless.
Yes, Hebrews 5 8 "Even though Jesus was God's Son, he learned obedience from the things he suffered."

I do not think it is in sense that Jesus was ignorant of it, and had to de educated about it, but rather than He experienced it in flesh.

Old 08-09-2014, 02:47 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,410,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
He learned to trust his Father, who raised him from the dead.
No matter how much he suffered by and through the hands of men.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
He knew He was going to be resurrected, because He talked about it beforehand.
Not my will, but yours be done.
Now, that takes great faith.

Old 08-09-2014, 02:49 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,731,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
You don't earn salvation, even by believing:

"Healing comes from a heart that loves, not one that condemns."

Regardless of what you believe, twist or conclude my view to be?
It is a simple question, with no twist. I have not tried to conclude anything from your post, I am simply looking for clarification.

Let's try it this way and hope it does not touch a nerve:

How much work does a person need to perform to accomplish whatever you think he/she needs to accomplish by those works?

Old 08-09-2014, 02:49 PM

boule=project, intention, counsel, decree, deliberation, decision or plan (Hebrew Greek Key Word Study Bible)

It was still God's plan and His foreknowledge. He intended for this to happen, Mystic. It was also prophesie in the Old Testament and Jesus referred to it. God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 08-09-2014 at 02:57 PM..

Old 08-09-2014, 02:55 PM

63,941 posts, read 40,218,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, Hebrews 5 8 "Even though Jesus was God's Son, he learned obedience from the things he suffered."
I do not think it is in sense that Jesus was ignorant of it, and had to de educated about it, but rather than He experienced it in flesh.
The word translated as "suffering" does NOT mean that. It simply means "experiences." Jesus . . . like all of us learned through experience. The mistaken context of a punishing God permeates the translations used by mainstream Christians to perpetuate the apostate anti-Christ message of a God who needed to be appeased for our failings. It is simply not so and never was.

Old 08-09-2014, 02:56 PM

predetermined=horio= to establish, determine, resolve, decree (Hebrew Greek Key Word Study)

John 12

[i]27 "Now My soul has become troubled; and what shall I say, ‘Father, save Me from this hour’? But for this purpose I came to this hour.

God bless.

Old 08-09-2014, 02:57 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,410,443 times
Quote:
Do you believe in Jesus and that God raised Him from the dead, Jerwade? God bless.
Believing in something does not change my life; it's only when I act upon it.

Old 08-09-2014, 02:59 PM

I just asked if you believe in Jesus and if you believe that God raised Him from the dead, Jerade. Is this a yes or a no? God bless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity