Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was His death planned, and what was its purpose?
Gos planned it as a settlement for our sins, so that those who believe would have everlasting life 67 67.00%
Not planned by God, but His death still serves as an example and it "restores the community" 2 2.00%
Planned by God in order to release the Holy Spirit to men 5 5.00%
Jesus did not die for our sins, He was murdered 26 26.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 04:00 PM

14,882 posts, read 17,160,264 times

Advertisements

If you are going to a scriptural basis as to why Jesus died, then you will find the answer in the scriptures. If you don't, then you will go with human philosophy and opinion. All of the scriptures point to Jesus and tell us why He died for us. God sent Jesus to be the Savior of the world, and what is He saving us from? He is saving us from sin.

Sin is the issue and that is what Jesus died to free us from, the captivity of sin and the death that results from this captivity.

Colossians 1
15 [w]He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. 16 For [x]by Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things have been created through Him and for Him. 17 He [y]is before all things, and in Him all things [z]hold together. 18 He is also head of the body, the church; and He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, so that He Himself will come to have first place in everything. 19 For [aa]it was the Father’s good pleasure for all the [ab]fullness to dwell in Him, 20 and through Him to reconcile all things to Himself, having made peace through the blood of His cross; through Him, I say, whether things on earth or things in [ac]heaven.

God bless.

Old 08-07-2014, 04:04 PM

The scriptures:

2 Peter 2:24

24 and He Himself [a]bore our sins in His body on the [b]cross, so that we might die to [c]sin and live to righteousness; for by His [d]wounds you were healed.

and

John 1:29

"Behold the Lamb of God which beareth away the sin of the world.

Hebrews 9:12 YLT
neither through blood of goats and calves, but through his own blood, did enter in once into the holy places, age-during redemption having obtained;

Leviticus 17:11 YLT
for the life of the flesh is in the blood, and I have given it to you on the altar, to make atonement for your souls; for it [is] the blood which maketh atonement for the soul.

Matthew 20:24-28

"You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their great men exercise authority over them. 26 It is not this way among you, but whoever wishes to become great among you shall be your servant, 27 and whoever wishes to be first among you shall be your slave; 28 just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many.

Matthew 26
26 While they were eating, Jesus took some bread, and[/SIZE]
]h]after a blessing, He broke it and gave it to the disciples, and said, "Take, eat; this is My body." 27 And when He had taken a cup and given thanks, He gave it to them, saying, "Drink from it, all of you; 28 for this is My blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for forgiveness of sins.

God bless and peace.

Old 08-07-2014, 04:04 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
If you are going to a scriptural basis as to why Jesus died, then you will find the answer in the scriptures. If you don't, then you will go with human philosophy and opinion. All of the scriptures point to Jesus and tell us why He died for us. God sent Jesus to be the Savior of the world, and what is He saving us from? He is saving us from sin.

Sin is the issue and that is what Jesus died to free us from, the captivity of sin and the death that results from this captivity.

Colossians 1
15 [w]He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. 16 For [x]by Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things have been created through Him and for Him. 17 He [y]is before all things, and in Him all things [z]hold together. 18 He is also head of the body, the church; and He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, so that He Himself will come to have first place in everything. 19 For [aa]it was the Father’s good pleasure for all the [ab]fullness to dwell in Him, 20 and through Him to reconcile all things to Himself, having made peace through the blood of His cross; through Him, I say, whether things on earth or things in [ac]heaven.

God bless.
And yet, all of the proponents of various theories of atonement can cite scripture to support them.

The bible was written by humans and is interpreted by humans, so it begins and ends with human philosophy and opinion, sometimes influenced by God, one would presume, and sometimes not.

Old 08-07-2014, 04:08 PM

I disagree with you, Pleroo. I do not believe that the scriptures are about human philosophy and opinion. That seems to be the problem here. If you are a believer, a Christian, and you hold to what the scriptures teach us about a the sacrifice of Jesus and why He died, you will have the answer. If you don't accept what the scriptures teach, then you will believe otherwise. For me, I am not about human philosophy, Iamism or New Ageism which I believe does not believe that people sin or and which teaches that it is all in our minds. God bless.

Old 08-07-2014, 04:14 PM

What does the apostle Paul, yes the apostle Paul, teach us is most important?

1 Cor. 15

"15 Now I make known to you, brethren, the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received, in which also you stand, 2 by which also you are saved, if you hold fast [a]the word which I preached to you, unless you believed in vain.
3 [b]For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 and that He was buried, and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, 5 and that He appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve. 6 After that He appeared to more than five hundred brethren at one time, most of whom remain until now, but some have fallen asleep; 7 then He appeared to [c]James, then to all the apostles; 8 and last of all, as [d]to one untimely born, He appeared to me also.

God bless.

Old 08-07-2014, 04:15 PM

Quote:
I disagree with you, Pleroo. I do not believe that the scriptures are about human philosophy and opinion. That seems to be the problem here. If you are a believer and you hold to what the scriptures teach us about a the sacrifice of Jesus and why He died, you will have the answer. If you don't accept what the scriptures teach, then you will believe otherwise. God bless and peace. For me, I am not about human philosophy, Iamism or New Ageism which I believe does not believe that people sin. God bless.
The problem for ... who?

Old 08-07-2014, 04:17 PM

The problem of why we are not agreeing on this subject. God bless.

Old 08-07-2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
The problem of why we are not agreeing on this subject. God bless.
But, that was my earlier point. Plenty of different theories with biblical support that are not in agreement. "Believing the bible" is no guarantee of agreement on any subject.

Old 08-07-2014, 04:26 PM

I believe that they can be if further study is done with prayer for understanding. Disagreement on what some scriptures may say does not mean that the scriptures are not valid or untrustworthy. The problem may be with translations, the background and teaching received by the person, lack of understanding of word meanings, seeing things out of context, and so on. This does not mean that the scriptures are not to be accepted and believed. God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 08-07-2014 at 05:05 PM..

Old 08-07-2014, 04:27 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
But, that was my earlier point. Plenty of different theories with biblical support that are not in agreement. "Believing the bible" is no guarantee of agreement on any subject.
There isn't much disagreement among Christians about why Jesus died. Vast majority agree about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.