Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 10:03 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,265,457 times

Advertisements

I've read that there is no mention of "hell," "eternal damnation," or "punishing the dead" in the Old Testament. True?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 10:30 AM

18,253 posts, read 16,961,107 times
True. The Jews had no concept of hell or eternal punishment. There was only Sheol (the grave, the pit). It is only after the Jews are in captivity and exposed to Zoroastrianism, the religion of the Babylonians adapted from the Persians, which has heaven, hell, and eternal torment, that it gradually starts to bleed into Jewish culture and beliefs.

http://www.pyracantha.com/Z/zjc3.html

By the time Jesus comes on the scene it is a well-established belief along with reincarnation, a belief the Jews adapt from far-East mystic religions. Hence Jesus appears to be teaching eternal damnation because that was what he was taught as a child.

Old 08-23-2014, 10:42 AM

3,671 posts, read 2,249,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
I've read that there is no mention of "hell," "eternal damnation," or "punishing the dead" in the Old Testament. True?
Psalms86:13 "For great is thy mercy toward me: and thou hast delivered my soul from the lowest hell”. And I'm not talking about sheol here. but the second death

Old 08-23-2014, 10:46 AM

37,340 posts, read 28,347,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
True. The Jews had no concept of hell or eternal punishment. There was only Sheol (the grave, the pit). It is only after the Jews are in captivity and exposed to Zoroastrianism, the religion of the Babylonians adapted from the Persians, which has heaven, hell, and eternal torment, that it gradually starts to bleed into Jewish culture and beliefs.

ZOROASTRIANISM, JUDAISM, AND CHRISTIANITY

By the time Jesus comes on the scene it is a well-established belief along with reincarnation, a belief the Jews adapt from far-East mystic religions. Hence Jesus appears to be teaching eternal damnation because that was what he was taught as a child.
Yes, i honestly believe Jesus used the teaching of eternal torment which when all is said and done is based upon fear of the afterlife solely towards those who believed in it to show if it was real to them,they were the ones that would end up there. We also know those that believed in it in Jesus' day were a bunch of hypocrites according to Jesus.. In the very place you would expect eternal hell to be preached along with the goods news( they are not the same or part of each other) is in the book of Acts and it is completely none existent.

Old 08-23-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Yes, i honestly believe Jesus used the teaching of eternal torment which when all is said and done is based upon fear of the afterlife solely towards those who believed in it to show if it was real to them,they were the ones that would end up there. We also know those that believed in it in Jesus' day were a bunch of hypocrites according to Jesus.. In the very place you would expect eternal hell to be preached along with the goods news( they are not the same or part of each other) is in the book of Acts and it is completely none existent.
interesting, but I suggest you compare this with Deuteronomy 32:22 "For a fire is kindled in mine anger, and shall burn unto the lowest hell, and shall consume the earth with her increase, and set on fire the foundations of the mountains.

Old 08-23-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101c View Post
Psalms86:13 "For great is thy mercy toward me: and thou hast delivered my soul from the lowest hell”. And I'm not talking about sheol here. but the second death
101c, you're being very disingenuous. You know darn well that nearly all translations use the original Hebrew word, Sheol; some use "death". Very few, the King James among them, which was politically motivated, use the word "hell".

Quote:
New International Version
For great is your love toward me; you have delivered me from the depths, from the realm of the dead.

New Living Translation
for your love for me is very great. You have rescued me from the depths of death.

English Standard Version
For great is your steadfast love toward me; you have delivered my soul from the depths of Sheol.

New American Standard Bible
For Your lovingkindness toward me is great, And You have delivered my soul from the depths of Sheol.

King James Bible
For great is thy mercy toward me: and thou hast delivered my soul from the lowest hell.

Holman Christian Standard Bible
For Your faithful love for me is great, and You deliver my life from the depths of Sheol.

International Standard Version
For great is your gracious love to me; you've delivered me from the depths of Sheol.

Old 08-23-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
101c, you're being very disingenuous. You know darn well that nearly all translations use the original Hebrew word, Sheol; some use "death". Very few, the King James among them, which was politically motivated, use the word "hell".
negative, hell is not the same here, you should know that. well a least you should.

Old 08-23-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
thrillobyte, I suggest you read Gill's commentary on Ps 86:13 it will put you into the ball park

Old 08-23-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101c View Post
thrillobyte, I suggest you read Gill's commentary on Ps 86:13 it will put you into the ball park
No go. I've read dozens of commentaries on this and you're wrong. All commentators say the Old testament had no concept at all of hell or eternal torment. That's a fact. Don't try to muddy the waters here.

Old 08-23-2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
No go. I've read dozens of commentaries on this and you're wrong. All commentators say the Old testament had no concept at all of hell or eternal torment. That's a fact. Don't try to muddy the waters here.
LOL, all the commentaries that don't agree with your beliefs, RIGHT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity