Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 09:24 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,026,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101c View Post
Psalms86:13 "For great is thy mercy toward me: and thou hast delivered my soul from the lowest hell”. And I'm not talking about sheol here. but the second death
Nope...It's talking about sheol...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 09:41 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,385,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Correct, though they did have knowledge of the resurrection. They also saw the garbage dump of the Valley if Hinnom (Later Gehenna) as a place where if a body was tossed in, no resurrection. Thus Gehenna/lake of Fire meant no resurrection/ no more life.

What! are we just suppose to make things up as we go along about what the Jews believe?

Heres the answer from a Jew when I asked what Gehenna meant to the Jewish mind because I had heard that the Jews believed Gehenna was a place of purification of up to 12 months.

Quote:
Gehinom is, as you said, a purification place, where souls are, sort of, cleansed before they can enter Gan Eden. The time spent in Gehinom is no more than 12 months. There is no difference between the beliefs of early Jews and Jews of today, except in their level of spirituality.

Old 08-24-2014, 10:01 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Nope...It's talking about sheol...
Can you explain the difference between the different levels of Sheol, and why Deuteronomy 32:22 would suggest there is a fire burning in Sheol?

Old 08-24-2014, 11:09 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,026,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Can you explain the difference between the different levels of Sheol, and why Deuteronomy 32:22 would suggest there is a fire burning in Sheol?

22 For a fire is kindled in My nostril, and burneth unto the depths of the nether-world, and devoureth the earth with her produce, and setteth ablaze the foundations of the mountains.

כב כִּי-אֵשׁ קָדְחָה בְאַפִּי, {ר} וַתִּיקַד עַד-שְׁאוֹל תַּחְתִּית; {ס} וַתֹּאכַל אֶרֶץ וִיבֻלָהּ, {ר} וַתְּלַהֵט מוֹסְדֵי הָרִים. {ס}

Where does it say that?...Fire kindled in His nostrils is a Hebraic idiom meaning He is angry...The nether-world is below heaven so means the earth, hence the rest of the verse...

Last edited by Richard1965; 08-24-2014 at 11:17 AM..

Old 08-24-2014, 12:18 PM

11,123 posts, read 6,385,743 times
Quote:
22 For a fire is kindled in My nostril, and burneth unto the depths of the nether-world, and devoureth the earth with her produce, and setteth ablaze the foundations of the mountains.

כב כִּי-אֵשׁ קָדְחָה בְאַפִּי, {ר} וַתִּיקַד עַד-שְׁאוֹל תַּחְתִּית; {ס} וַתֹּאכַל אֶרֶץ וִיבֻלָהּ, {ר} וַתְּלַהֵט מוֹסְדֵי הָרִים. {ס}

Where does it say that?...Fire kindled in His nostrils is a Hebraic idiom meaning He is angry...The nether-world is below heaven so means the earth, hence the rest of the verse...

Old 08-24-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:

It uses the word "sheol" (šə·’ō·wl - וַתִּיקַ֖ד עַד־ שְׁא֣וֹל תַּחְתִּ֑ית וַתֹּ֤אכַל), which you said means the grave, but now say means earth. The other verse which somoene else provided refers to different levels of Sheol, and I asked you to describe what that means.

Old 08-24-2014, 05:57 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,806,017 times
God is an all consuming fire. Remember the bush that burned and was not consumed. With trial and tribulation you are tried by fire. What is consumed is not of God. The part of you that is from him is not consumed.

Old 08-24-2014, 06:13 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,354,085 times
Quote:
It uses the word "sheol" (šə·’ō·wl - וַתִּיקַ֖ד עַד־ שְׁא֣וֹל תַּחְתִּ֑ית וַתֹּ֤אכַל), which you said means the grave, but now say means earth.
The other verse which someone else provided refers to different levels of Sheol, and I asked you to describe what that means.
To the depths, or lowest portion of Sheol; the grave.
If you prefer, the earth and that which is beneath.

But try not to confuse it with that of the "false" teachings of an underworld.

Old 08-24-2014, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
To the depths, or lowest portion of Sheol; the grave.
If you prefer, the earth and that which is beneath.

But try not to confuse it with that of the "false" teachings of an underworld.
Let mr ask for the third time. Can you explain the difference between the lower levels and upper levels of Sheol?

Old 08-24-2014, 07:16 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,285,273 times
Quote:
Let mr ask for the third time. Can you explain the difference between the lower levels and upper levels of Sheol?
Upstairs you have lazarus and downstairs the rich man, ain't that really in a nutshell what you believe, 2 sides/levels one good and one bad ? .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity