Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 11:42 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times

Advertisements

101c, you should know that the word, "hell" originated from the Norse word, "hel" which means to cover, like a grave (sheol) is covered with dirt.

So we're at he said/she said again. Calvert, you decide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 11:47 AM

3,671 posts, read 2,244,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
101c, you should know that the word, "hell" originated from the Norse word, "hel" which means to cover, like a grave (sheol) is covered with dirt.

well you can use all the excuses you want, but it's not changing the word of God. now a question, is the body and the soul destroyed in sheol, YES or NO. now remember,
Matthew 10:28 "And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Old 08-23-2014, 12:51 PM

thrillobyte, are you still here?, or, are you still searching for the answer?. well let me help you out,
Revelation 20:14 "And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death”.
and hell here is G86 ᾅδης hades (hah"-dace) n.
1.(properly) unseen
2. (commonly) "Hades," the place (state) of departed souls

Now, Psalms 86:13 "For great is thy mercy toward me: and thou hast delivered my soul from the lowest hell". not hell, but the LOWEST hell. hmmm.................H7585 שְׁאוֹל שְׁאוֹל sh'owl (sheh-ole') (or shol {sheh-ole'}) n-f.
1. Hades or the world of the dead. here H7585 hades means the grave right. but notice that word before it "LOWEST". here, hell is a feminine NOUN. lets go to Deuteronomy 32:22 as I said before, "For a fire is kindled in mine anger, and shall burn unto the lowest hell, and shall consume the earth with her increase, and set on fire the foundations of the mountains. notice the word "Lowest" here, as well in Psalms 86:13. the word hell, in both scriptures is a a feminine NOUN. well what do all of this means?. lets check the Brown-Driver-Briggs Lexicon, it means always absolute. if it’s absolute, and Revelation 20:14 say and HELL, Hades, your cover or grave, (the Body), will be cast into the Lake of fire. hmmmmm..... and Matthew 10:28 "And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
Hell: G1067 γέεννα geenna (gheh'-en-nah) is not HADES, well that just killed that idea. now there is G86 hades, but I’m speaking of G1067 geenna, see the difference?. so there is a place LOWER that Hell/hades?,in the OLD TESTAMENT, hmmmmmm...... the second death, scripture, Revelation 20:14 "And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
my, my, my, the old reveals the new, and the new reveals the old.

I hope this help.

Old 08-23-2014, 12:51 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,251,926 times
Quote:

Can't decide. The knowledge of this group far transcends mine. Everybody makes strong points.

Went to grades 1-12 in the Catholic school system in the 1950s and early 60s but cannot remember what they taught us about the origin of "eternity" in the Bibles. You probably know that Catholics were not encouraged to read the passages on their own but rather to rely on what the nuns and later in high school the brothers told us.

Old 08-23-2014, 04:44 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101c View Post
thrillobyte, are you still here?, or, are you still searching for the answer?. well let me help you out,
Revelation 20:14 "And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death”.
and hell here is G86 ᾅδης hades (hah"-dace) n.
1.(properly) unseen
2. (commonly) "Hades," the place (state) of departed souls

Now, Psalms 86:13 "For great is thy mercy toward me: and thou hast delivered my soul from the lowest hell". not hell, but the LOWEST hell. hmmm.................H7585 שְׁאוֹל שְׁאוֹל sh'owl (sheh-ole') (or shol {sheh-ole'}) n-f.
1. Hades or the world of the dead. here H7585 hades means the grave right. but notice that word before it "LOWEST". here, hell is a feminine NOUN. lets go to Deuteronomy 32:22 as I said before, "For a fire is kindled in mine anger, and shall burn unto the lowest hell, and shall consume the earth with her increase, and set on fire the foundations of the mountains. notice the word "Lowest" here, as well in Psalms 86:13. the word hell, in both scriptures is a a feminine NOUN. well what do all of this means?. lets check the Brown-Driver-Briggs Lexicon, it means always absolute. if it’s absolute, and Revelation 20:14 say and HELL, Hades, your cover or grave, (the Body), will be cast into the Lake of fire. hmmmmm..... and Matthew 10:28 "And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
Hell: G1067 γέεννα geenna (gheh'-en-nah) is not HADES, well that just killed that idea. now there is G86 hades, but I’m speaking of G1067 geenna, see the difference?. so there is a place LOWER that Hell/hades?,in the OLD TESTAMENT, hmmmmmm...... the second death, scripture, Revelation 20:14 "And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
my, my, my, the old reveals the new, and the new reveals the old.

I hope this help.
Well why not let the majority decide. I'm sure lots of us here know that the Jews had no concept of hell or eternal torment. You're saying the Jews pre Babylonian captivity (which is where they got the concept) already had it. Here:

Quote:
**FACT: The King James Bible erroneously translates the word "Sheol" as Hell a total of 31 times in the Old Testament, thus setting a foundation for that doctrine in the New Testament as well as the majority of Bible translations to follow the KJV. Even so, most new translations have completely eliminated Hell from the Old Testament, as honest and better scholarship has demanded. The Jewish version of the Old Testament (the Tanakh) has no concept of Hell in it.
Quote:
These passages show the Hebrew usage of the word sheol, which is the original of the word "grave" and "hell" in all the examples cited. It is plain that it has here no reference to a place of endless torment after death.
Now you see, I can quote a whole battery of references that show the Jews had no concept of hell or eternal torment. Their belief was that people died and went into the grave (Sheol)---period.

Old 08-23-2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Well why not let the majority decide. I'm sure lots of us here know that the Jews had no concept of hell or eternal torment. You're saying the Jews pre Babylonian captivity (which is where they got the concept) already had it. Here:.
LOL, the word of God is not a democracy, one don't vote on the word of God. but the road to destruction is broad and wide and many vote, oh I sorry, travel on it.

Quote:
now you see, I can quote a whole battery of references that show the Jews had no concept of hell or eternal torment. Their belief was that people died and went into the grave (Sheol)---period.
a battery, or a barrel of scripture want help. and don't worry they believe in stone then, but now?. LOL. so do they believe in the Lake of Fire?. hey don't sweat it, literally.

be good, and good day.

Old 08-23-2014, 05:37 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
I've read that there is no mention of "hell," "eternal damnation," or "punishing the dead" in the Old Testament. True?
Correct, though they did have knowledge of the resurrection. They also saw the garbage dump of the Valley if Hinnom (Later Gehenna) as a place where if a body was tossed in, no resurrection. Thus Gehenna/lake of Fire meant no resurrection/ no more life.

Old 08-23-2014, 05:52 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Christians, you do not have to live in the prison of despair over eternal hell. There is no such place and he who is all together lovely did not come to save you from that. Don't be afraid to leave the cruel beliefs that have bound you and sent you crazy, he came to reconcile you back to himself, your first love that you fell away from and in falling forgot your first love. You are highly favored by your heavenly father, return to him.

Last edited by pcamps; 08-23-2014 at 06:15 PM..

Old 08-23-2014, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Christians, you do not have to live in the prison of despair over eternal hell. There is no such place and he who is all together lovely did not come to save you from that. Don't be afraid to leave the cruel beliefs that have bound you and sent you crazy, he came to reconcile you back to himself, your first love that you fell and in falling forgot your first love. You are highly favored by your heavenly father.
LOL, have you repented yet?, repent first, and be converted.

Old 08-23-2014, 05:57 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101c View Post
LOL, have you repented yet?, repent first, and be converted.
Glad to be of service. I was converted out of fundamental christianity into the love of God. Xxx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity