Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 08:13 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,246,530 times

Advertisements

I don't view Steppenwolf as a satanic band but they seemed to have a fascination with the darker side. I'm wondering if American Christians view this song as unholy or even satanic? I'm not on a mission against Christianity, just interested.

Thank you, for any insight.

The Night Time's For You - Steppenwolf - YouTube

You're hair hangs under black silk
The gown you wear blows in the wind
You're one of the devils best friends
Your burning eyes are doin' me in
The night time's for you
Yeah, the night time's for you
You think up evil and sin
And take away everything that I own
Talk in symbols and signs
That goes beyond anything that I've known
The night time's for you
The night time's for you

Does the night give you power
Just to rule over me?
I've been waiting for the hour
'Til your chains set me free
Set me free, set me free, yeah yeah
Full moon shines in your eyes, a bell tolls
Keeps ringin' the hour
The birds you keep, scream to be free
And like a bird I'm under your power
The night time's for you
The night time's for you
Does the night give you power
Just to rule over me
Set me free, set me free, yeah
The night time's for you
The night time's for you
The night time's for you

Read more: Steppenwolf - Night Time's For You Lyrics | MetroLyrics

Last edited by Northwindsforever; 08-25-2014 at 08:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 11:15 AM

No answer, so far - so i assume this was a stupid question. I examined the lyrics closer and noticed this:

Set me free, set me free, yeah

Probably means, set me free from her evil ways. So, potentially the tune could not be viewed as satanic. Although Steppenwolf has plenty of skulls on the record covers and the death themed lyrics like The Doors.

At the end of the day, I don't care if American Christians judge Steppenwolf as unholy/satanic. I'm still going to listen to them and post their videos over at the Music forum.

Just interested about the views of American Christians and what they deem as satanic music and what qualifies as proper music.

Nothing more.

Still would like someone to chime in with opinions.

Old 08-25-2014, 11:25 AM

1,606 posts, read 1,253,254 times
I would say that it is not something that a Christian should listen to. I don't believe it is specifically 'satanic', whatever that means, only that it is music created by unbelievers, glorifying sin and worldly pleasures.

Does it glorify God? No. Does it edify, exhort, lift up, encourage the values of God? No.

Also, I am sure some of their other songs are more overt in their sinful nature.
Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things. (Phil. 4:8)

Old 08-25-2014, 11:29 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,030,601 times
Quote:
Could this song be viewed as unholy by American christians?
Pretty much everything can be viewed as unholy by American Christians.

Old 08-25-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
I would say that it is not something that a Christian should listen to. I don't believe it is specifically 'satanic', whatever that means, only that it is music created by unbelievers, glorifying sin and worldly pleasures.

Does it glorify God? No. Does it edify, exhort, lift up, encourage the values of God? No.

Also, I am sure some of their other songs are more overt in their sinful nature.
Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things. (Phil. 4:8)
Thanks for the answer. I also think that many bands like Steppenwolf glorifies hedonism, decadence and pleasures (personally I have nothing against it) which could be viewed as unholy and "the wrong direction" by many Christians around the globe.

Old 08-25-2014, 11:40 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwindsforever View Post

Still would like someone to chime in with opinions.
The conservative end of American Christianity has been trying to censor music since before Elvis. They somehow decided they have the ability to peer into a songwriter's soul and determine what he meant when he (or she) wrote the song. Apparently there's a lot of psychics among them. (They think psychics are ungodly but... whatever. They don't hesitate to use their psychic powers to say things like, "It's the devil's music!" if you're listening to something they don't like.)

Do you want them to censor what YOU listen to? Do you want to listen to music you enjoy..... or music deemed "acceptable" to a certain group of Americans?

Old 08-25-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
The conservative end of American Christianity has been trying to censor music since before Elvis. They somehow decided they have the ability to peer into a songwriter's soul and determine what he meant when he (or she) wrote the song. Apparently there's a lot of psychics among them. (They think psychics are ungodly but... whatever. They don't hesitate to use their psychic powers to say things like, "It's the devil's music!" if you're listening to something they don't like.)

Do you want them to censor what YOU listen to? Do you want to listen to music you enjoy..... or music deemed "acceptable" to a certain group of Americans?
I reall don't give a rats ass about what Christians migh think of me and the music i like. I've just noticed that when I post a song by Steppenwolf or Black Sabbath someone immediately post a song with a Christian theme - over at other forum.

Anyway, good answer from you.

Old 08-25-2014, 11:57 AM

8,166 posts, read 6,917,406 times
I used to think the song "war pigs" by Black Sabbath sounded really evil, when I was a little kid.
Then one day, I actually listened to the lyrics.

Music isn't "unholy" or "holy".

A single song can prompt many different reactions and interpretations.

It's up to you, what you choose to let into your own being and fill you up.
One man's "evil" song may be another's "enlightenment" or "compassion" or "peace".
I wouldn't worry about what other people think.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:02 PM

10,295 posts, read 9,693,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post

Old 08-25-2014, 12:02 PM

I never got any reps from posting the Scottish band from Glasgow - Primal Scream. I wonder why?

Thanks, to everybody for the replies so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWjm_W-4Ml8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity