Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How frequently do you celebrate the Lord's Supper
daily 2 16.67%
every Sundaay 8 66.67%
once a month 1 8.33%
quarterly 1 8.33%
once a year 0 0%
other 0 0%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 01:02 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,182,943 times

Advertisements

We celebrate the Eucharist weekly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 01:35 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,348,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I grew up Catholic. We did it weekly, of course. To be honest, it meant very little to me.
Evangelicals get off on emotion and fire and brimstone sermons. Doing what Jesus commanded seems boring to them because it does not appeal to their emotions.

Quote:
We did it weekly...and to be honest it seemed as if it meant very little to most of the people. Oftentimes the pastor would just tack it on to the beginning or end of the service and it was kind of an afterthought.
If the pastor does not believe in the Eucharist then the church members will not! How could they see the Eucharist as a boring chore???? This is simply poor Christian principles. These folks just want to be entertained with charismatic fist waving preachers that make ecclesiastic jokes.

Quote:
In my church, we do it monthly. The 3rd Sunday of every month. I challenge the congregation to examine themselves before communion, and to not take it lightly.
Good for you Vizio. I think you are making good progress!

Old 08-26-2014, 02:09 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,500,276 times
We are told to do it "often" .... which there is no set "thou shalt X amount of times"

Old 08-26-2014, 02:12 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,798,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Evangelicals get off on emotion and fire and brimstone sermons. Doing what Jesus commanded seems boring to them because it does not appeal to their emotions.

If the pastor does not believe in the Eucharist then the church members will not! How could they see the Eucharist as a boring chore???? This is simply poor Christian principles. These folks just want to be entertained with charismatic fist waving preachers that make ecclesiastic jokes.

Good for you Vizio. I think you are making good progress!
Bolded above.

Old 05-21-2015, 12:04 PM

2 posts, read 1,169 times
Luke wrote the Acts of Apostles. Acts 28:13-14: "And from thence we fetched a compass, and came to Rhegium: and after one day the south wind blew, and we came the next day to Puteoli: [14] Where we found brethren, and were desired to tarry with them seven days: and so we went toward Rome" (Acts 28:13-14). Today, Puteoli is Pozzuoli, within the city of Naples, Italy.

According to Luke, in Puteoli "we" (he and Paul and possibly others) found brethren who desired that they remain with them for seven days. In seeking to know how often the first century Christians partook of communion this may be of help, assuming that the arrival in Puteoli was on a Monday. There is this same possibility in another passage in the Acts of Apostles.

Acts 21:3-5: "Now when we had discovered Cyprus, we left it on the left hand, and sailed into Syria, and landed at Tyre: for there the ship was to unlade her burden. And finding disciples, we tarried there seven days: who said to Paul through the Spirit, that he should not go up to Jerusalem. And when we had accomplished those days, we departed and went our way ...." Was their arrival on a Monday, and did they wait those seven days in order to partake of communion with the disciples at Tyre?

This is exactly what had happened previously in Acts 20:6-7: "And we sailed away from Philippi after the days of unleavened bread, and came unto them to Troas in five days; where we abode seven days. And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight." The information here shows that the arrival of Paul and company was on a Monday. They stayed in Troas for seven days and broke bread (they partook of communion) with the disciples in Troas on the first day of the week (that is, Sunday) and had plans to leave on the morrow or on Monday. The disciples in Troas came together on the first day of the week (on Sunday) to break bread or partake of communion.

1 Corinthians 11:26 (from New King James Version): "For as often as you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death till He comes." It seems that some believers partake of communion daily in order to make a daily proclamation of the Lord's death. But considering the texts above, the Christians in the first century do not appear to have partaken of communion daily, but rather weekly on the first day of the week (on Sunday).

Observe the great variety of practices among believers: many partake of communion daily (more often than weekly), and there are those who schedule communion less often than weekly: biweekly, monthly, bimonthly, quarterly, twice yearly, yearly, etc. The brethren in Puteoli desired that Paul and Luke and possibly others remain there with them for seven days to partake with them--it seems--to partake of communion with them on the first day of the week (Sunday) as it was done in Troas.

Old 05-21-2015, 12:44 PM

88,617 posts, read 84,857,016 times
At every service, unless no priest is present and then we have Morning Prayer instead.

Old 05-21-2015, 12:45 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,927,990 times
We have a potluck once a month, the best communion celebration there is!

Old 05-21-2015, 01:13 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,798,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Luke 22

19 And when He had taken some bread and given thanks, He broke it and gave it to them, saying, “This is My body which is given for you; do this in remembrance of Me.” 20 And in the same way He took the cup after they had eaten, saying, “This cup which is poured out for you is the new covenant in My blood."

Old 05-21-2015, 02:55 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,927,990 times
You can make it a cetemony or you can make it a reality, your choice.

Old 05-21-2015, 03:50 PM

88,617 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
I agree! We love our potlucks in my little church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity