Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 07:08 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,880,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Really? Then why did Paul say this?

1 John 5

13 These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know that you have eternal life.
Have you read where James said the "even the demons believe." Belief doesn't save you if you read the rest of the Bible. That verse must have some meaning other than the literal one that some Christians take. What does it really mean to believe in Christ? But I can see how it would appeal to a "get rich quick" form of salvation that many Christians seem to love. The "rich" part is not that far fetched. Just like the Pharisees, most Christians seem to love money. They have prepared for their retirement years, all they need to do now is a quick prep for the afterlife. Then they're all set.

Yeah. That really matches what Jesus taught, and what the prophets of Israel spoke of. I don't think so. But those Christians keep dreaming (while they kill the prophets and Jesus all over again).

How can you call that belief "Christian" when it violates so much of the Bible? (No, I'm not talking about the old covenant, but the heart of the Bible which the new testament writers stressed.) You can't call it "Christian" if you just pick and choose what you like, and it excludes so much of what is emphasized in the new testament.

Maybe it requires something more than fear of Hell in order for someone to simply "believe" and be saved. Any child who is taught about Hell will believe it for the rest of his sad life.

Last edited by OzzyRules; 08-26-2014 at 07:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 07:36 PM

20,443 posts, read 12,805,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Have you read where James said the "even the demons believe." Belief doesn't save you if you read the rest of the Bible. That verse must have some meaning other than the literal one that some Christians take. What does it really mean to believe in Christ? But I can see how it would appeal to a "get rich quick" form of salvation that many Christians seem to love. The "rich" part is not that far fetched. Just like the Pharisees, most Christians seem to love money. They have prepared for their retirement years, all they need to do now is a quick prep for the afterlife. Then they're all set.

Yeah. That really matches what Jesus taught, and what the prophets of Israel spoke of. I don't think so. But those Christians keep dreaming (while they kill the prophets and Jesus all over again).

How can you call that belief "Christian" when it violates so much of the Bible? (No, I'm not talking about the old covenant, but the heart of the Bible which the new testament writers stressed.) You can't call it "Christian" if you just pick and choose what you like, and it excludes so much of what is emphasized in the new testament.

Maybe it requires something more than fear of Hell in order for someone to simply "believe" and be saved. Any child who is taught about Hell will believe it for the rest of his sad life.
Here's the difference:

Romans 10:9

If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Here's the difference:

Romans 10:9

If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
Wonderful. I guess as long as you can find the verse that works for you, then you can just throw the rest of the Bible out with all the other stuff you don't need, right? Anyone who believes that could just die now while they have the right faith (before it flies away) because now they're set.

What's the point of life then? Oh...I know. To tell others about this free ticket to paradise.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:08 AM

1,486 posts, read 292,735 times
You try your best to walk in the Lord's steps. Sin is inevitable which is why we try to avoid it. No mortal is perfect. To get saved you must accept the Lord as your savior in your own heart, and have faith. We do not deserve to be saved, but thanks to Jesus's sacrifice we may.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:20 AM

63,876 posts, read 40,157,333 times
Default Are you really saved - Really?

Short answer is: YES! Christ saved us and we have nothing to do with it. It is finished. Our responsibility to be sanctified under Christ's love for us all has been misinterpreted as "being saved." It is NOT. Salvation was Christ's job and He completed it. Sanctification IS our job and it involves trying to "love God and each other daily" and repent when we don't . . . NOT the "easy believism" relying on rituals and magic to "save" us. We ARE saved. It is our sanctification that is in question and it will affect reaping what we sow. We will all reap whatever we sow and have not repented for. If we do not repent everything that is non-love will be refined out as dross in the consuming fire of God's pure love after death. It will not be pleasant . . . but we are still "saved as by fire."

Old 08-27-2014, 04:05 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,689,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Simple, really. Live a Christian life. You know .... love God. love your neighbor... do good works .... and eternal life is yours!!!!!!!! So actions speak louder than words. We are all tested all the time. Nothing is guaranteed.
Sounds like you think works speak louder than faith.

Old 08-27-2014, 05:28 AM

20,443 posts, read 12,805,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Wonderful. I guess as long as you can find the verse that works for you, then you can just throw the rest of the Bible out with all the other stuff you don't need, right? Anyone who believes that could just die now while they have the right faith (before it flies away) because now they're set.

What's the point of life then? Oh...I know. To tell others about this free ticket to paradise.
The point of life, after salvation, is sanctification, i.e. becoming like Christ.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:16 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,599,441 times
Yes, I feel I am saved.

The cross showed me that there are more important things then the vessel that contains the "me" in me. I also feel that any "big" pieces of understanding we gain through our lives can "save" us. It's a natural progression.

I have always felt that there are things that knaw at a man's gut worse than death. I have confirmed that in the streets of Philly. I have seen it "over played" in John Wayne movies. And I see that many men felt the same way 2 000 years ago and 6 000 years ago from the bible. And it probably has been felt since the first smart chimp wacked the second smart chimp over the head for stealing the third smart chimp's food. Ok, ok, so that third one was the first's girl, that's not the point ... lol

Old 08-27-2014, 06:58 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,450,975 times
Clearly, your god has done a terrible job of making clear the most important thing there is in the entirety of existence. How strange.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:00 AM

Quote:
The point of life, after salvation, is sanctification, i.e. becoming like Christ.
But people can still fall into sin, even into spiritual death, even after believing in Christ. Read James and read the Old Testament. My belief is that they have never been saved to begin with. I honestly don't think most "easy salvation" people are even saved, because they ignore so much of the Bible. They believed in a easy message that they think saves them from God's wrath, but nothing in the Bible supports such a thing. It actually stunts their spiritual growth. It's a tragic thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity