Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 11:34 AM

309 posts, read 262,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
It doesn't talk about him going to the bathroom, either.
lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 11:37 AM

309 posts, read 262,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
God definitely has a sense of humor, so why wouldn't his Son?

Old 09-02-2014, 12:16 PM

88,696 posts, read 85,065,285 times
What about when the children wanted to come to him? Do you think kids would be drawn to an unsmiling guy?

Old 09-02-2014, 12:39 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,800,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart_Song View Post
Do you think Jesus ever laughed? I don't recall any instance of it recorded in scripture. Perhaps the sense of humor in the human race has evolved in the more than 2000 years since that time. It may be that humor is a relatively modern luxury. Any thoughts?
Funny you should mention this. In that wonderful book The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco there occurs just such a debate. I believe that debate also occured in the movie starring Sean Connery.

That scene is one more reason why I wonder about fanaticism and utter dogma based upon so called strict interpretation of the bible.

I see from my google search that there are a whole lot of articles addressing this question, as if it were important or relevant.

My own opinion is that as a complete human, Jesus did indeed laugh, did indeed experience pain and the occasional melancholy, and even went to the bathroom on a regular basis. Just cuz the bible doesnt mention something specifically does not mean it did not happen. At least for those things we humans ALL have in common

Old 09-02-2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
If he didn't laugh then, no doubt he is now. Laughing at how the fundamentalists have distorted and twisted his teachings, and put words into his mouth that he never said. How he cannot think humanity are bloody idiots is the bigger question.
I would think this makes Him cry. It sure does me!

Old 09-02-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowlyservant View Post
I believe that God does have a sense of humor. He smiles down on those who believe in him that good things are in store for them. He would be concerned for the rest. As a parent takes delight in their little children, I believe so would God and Jesus take delight in those who believe. God is the Father of the believer and Jesus is our BIG brother.
Oh it goes much further than that! I believe God is the master of irony, and has a lot of fun with us.

In my own case, for example, I absolutely LOVE music, but I cant dance, cant sing, cant play a musical instrument. I laugh all the time at this grand cosmic joke.

Old 09-02-2014, 01:19 PM

1,614 posts, read 1,247,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Funny you should mention this. In that wonderful book The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco there occurs just such a debate. I believe that debate also occured in the movie starring Sean Connery.

That scene is one more reason why I wonder about fanaticism and utter dogma based upon so called strict interpretation of the bible.

I see from my google search that there are a whole lot of articles addressing this question, as if it were important or relevant.

My own opinion is that as a complete human, Jesus did indeed laugh, did indeed experience pain and the occasional melancholy, and even went to the bathroom on a regular basis. Just cuz the bible doesnt mention something specifically does not mean it did not happen. At least for those things we humans ALL have in common
2 left feet? Me too. Thanks for the book and movie references.

Old 09-02-2014, 02:31 PM

164 posts, read 491,069 times
Psalm 2 v 4 "He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh: the Lord shall have them in derision." Psalm 37 v 13 "The LORD shall laugh at him: for he seeth that his day is coming."

God laughed so did Jesus and the Holy Ghost (These three are one)....And He says in His Word Proverbs 17 v 22 "A merry heart doeth good like a medicine: but a broken spirit drieth the bones"

God gave us the gift of laughter..."Ecclesiastes 3 v 4 "A time to weep and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance."

If "Jesus wept, then He also laughed!"

Old 09-02-2014, 02:36 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,609,734 times
Quote:
Why do you say people were just like us, but stronger? Just wondered what you base that statement on.

I do believe we are evolving as a species in many ways including spiritually as a collective whole. You may disagree with that - but I think there is evidence of it.
they were stronger because their challenges were greater, they grew up faster and
grew old faster, and had more fortitude than we do in this softer age. This is generally
speaking of course.
I do not believe "we" are "evolving" as a species. We are the same it's just that as time
proceedeth, developments are expounded upon each other. Christian thought and doctrine
did more to advance Western civilization than anything else. There are no new ideologies
under the sun. New age is old age paganism. New heresies are old heresies. Do not be
taken in by the snares of those who would usher in the antichrist, or "alien" agendas.

Old 09-02-2014, 03:06 PM

Quote:
2 left feet? Me too. Thanks for the book and movie references.
Glad to help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity