Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 02:19 AM

709 posts, read 378,603 times

Advertisements

Greetings to you all,

In the Lord Jesus Christ I exhort you all, that do not take a part with any fruitless debate, because this kind of behavior, is not good for you or the other, but it leads you away from our Lord Jesus, like our dear brother Paul writes to Timothy.

"Of these things put them in remembrance, charging them in the sight of the Lord, that they strive not about words, to no profit, to the subverting of them that hear." (2 Timothy 2:14)

So stay away from pointless debate and instead lead the other away from it.

I recommended to you all that you read those letter for Timothy.

May God Almighty bless you all in your repentance in Lord Jesus Christ. Forever will be thank and honor to God and to Lord Jesus Christ. Amen.

Word of exhort from

Mikko Ainasoja

The Lord Jesus Christ's and God's servant and chosen teacher

Last edited by Mikko Ainasoja; 09-08-2014 at 03:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 02:57 AM

8,183 posts, read 6,943,094 times
I agree, but on the other hand, sometimes a seemingly "fruitless" debate may be fruitful for some who may not even be participating. As it allows someone to really think about alternate sides of an issue.

Old 09-08-2014, 03:31 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,382,909 times
Strongly disagree with the sentiment here. We are a lost species in a confusing world and one of.... if not THE..... most precious tools we have is that of human discourse. It is through discourse and discussion that we learn and grow and weed out false ideas and engage in exploration of the true ones.

Debate. Discourse. Discussion. Call it what you will. Rather than suggesting we do less or none of it..... I suggest our species does not engage in enough of it.

Where words and ideas do not cross borders, mistrust, hatred and armies do.

Old 09-08-2014, 05:17 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,608,849 times
I was in one just yesterday. I am not a literal bible guy nor am I considered a "real Christian".
We were talking the talk about creation. The person kept saying "how do you know? nobody was there.". I said I am not sure but it is all we have. I asked him to try and leave out "what I (them) believe" and list the events that assembled the bible. Pointless

What was nice is that the discussion went easy and had a nice tone. I made it clear that I am not here to convert you or save you. Only teach themu how science works. They were shock when I said "science" makes no claims past what all of us can "see". Actually science makes no claims at all, but whatever. Now people? I said I see big dorks on both sides.

The only time it got kind of heated was when a person claimed C14 doesn't work for dating. I said oh yeah your right, how does it work? They didn't know. I told him some scientist do get condescending when some believers don't know how it works yet are trying to talk from authority. Oh yeah, I did bring up lab experiments in "making" atoms. They said "they make up anything they want in a lab experiments". I didn't say a word.

Pointless.

But I must say it, they are very nice people and I have no problem hanging out with them because of a few different beliefs. Its about Love, compassion, and understanding. They are actions, not things.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:46 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,940,039 times
If one is obedient via the Holy Spirit , the discussion is entered into with the guidance of the Spirit, and the content He prescribes nothing more, and both noting less.
It is God's Design that He be teacher to the believer.
And the believers responsibility to be obedient in the things he is told to share to the world whom have not the Holy Spirit.
This demonstration of a relationship, is a contrast to the religion and tutelage of men .
The great commission is to announce Jesus Gospel directing others to discipleship "under Jesus" , not under men.
Jesus strictly directed the disciples NOT to be called teacher (rabbi ,master or father.) Matthew 23;7,8, which Paul misdirected and contradicted. Fact.
1 John 2;20, You have no need any man teach you, because you have an unction from God, the Holy Spirit, that teaches you all things.
This is God's design.

There are many times I might have entered arguments both here and other places, and I am constrained to with hold comment .
Some times at a later date I am directed to share.
"The fruit" is not dependent on my convincing any one, the fruit is obedience in the delivery nothing more .
What one chooses to do with what is shared, is their own responsibility, God will lay at their charge, on that day.
And my charge, should I do more or less than directed.
I may not be perfect , but I do take this responsibility seriously.
Matthew 7;21,22,23,

Old 09-08-2014, 08:07 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,432,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikko Ainasoja View Post
Greetings to you all,

In the Lord Jesus Christ I exhort you all, that do not take a part with any fruitless debate, because this kind of behavior, is not good for you or the other, but it leads you away from our Lord Jesus, like our dear brother Paul writes to Timothy.

"Of these things put them in remembrance, charging them in the sight of the Lord, that they strive not about words, to no profit, to the subverting of them that hear." (2 Timothy 2:14)

So stay away from pointless debate and instead lead the other away from it.

I recommended to you all that you read those letter for Timothy.

May God Almighty bless you all in your repentance in Lord Jesus Christ. Forever will be thank and honor to God and to Lord Jesus Christ. Amen.

Word of exhort from

Mikko Ainasoja

The Lord Jesus Christ's and God's servant and chosen teacher
Discussion is one thing and pointless debate another.

A sure clue to a pointless debate is when personal attacks are made, silly comments like ignorant barbarians, stupid fundamentalists, etc are used. Then there is no interest in discussion or learning and a clear absence of God's spirit.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:08 AM

987 posts, read 1,120,375 times
Paul reasoned with the Jews in the tabernacles from the Law to try to convince them that Jesus was the promised messiah.....I'm sure there was lots of debate. Plus it sharpens the ones debating/discussing and affirms or strengthens one's convictions or perhaps motivates someone to dig deeper.

It can get frustrating and I see rude comments from both sides of an issue......we are human. As humans, Christian or not, we also must learn forgiveness and mercy...we all need each other in this hostile world

Rain down your love on us, Father, and blessings in abundance, if it be Your WILL

Old 09-08-2014, 11:05 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,953,143 times
I think a lot of these debates is someone who wants to show how smart they think they really are by using impressive words or spouting off political and religious ideas to make others think that person is worldly. When in reality they use past ideas they pick up from prior discussions to integrate in to a topic that really has nothing to do with the topic. Or someone states what one thinks one is thinking will supersede with their words what their ideology of a specific group that blankets everyone. There are a plethora of religions and ideologies on this forum, there is no way one thinks the same as the other person.

The last thing is one who picks out one verse from the bible and expects that to make a topic of making God seem like a bad person, it is obvious what the individual is doing. This makes a person seem like a fool as one needs to read prior and subsequent verses to have a full discussion for debate. I mean really, would you start in the middle of a book and read one sentence and expect to get the gist of a book

Old 09-08-2014, 12:10 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,413,567 times
I think I'd almost rather see rude comments in a debate or discussion than the too often used tactic of ignoring a valid question or point made by another person under the guise of being put off by the other person's motive or their lack of adherence to some standard (e.g., they don't accept the entire bible as the "word of God", or they aren't the same brand of Christian, or they aren't a Christian, or they aren't a theist). A valid question/point is valid, regardless, and it's unfruitful when people avoid addressing it and would rather bury their heads in the sand.

Old 09-08-2014, 12:15 PM

987 posts, read 1,120,375 times
too true, Pleroo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity