Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: "God is love" and 1 Cor 13
I am a Christian. "God is love" is a direct quote from the bible. 8 40.00%
I am not a Christian. "God is love" is a direct quote from the bible. 0 0%
I am a Christian. I agree with the description of love in 1 Cor 13. 5 25.00%
I am not a Christian. I agree with the description of love in 1 Cor 13. 3 15.00%
I am a Christian. I do not agree that "God is love" is stated in the bible. 1 5.00%
I am not a Chrisitian. I do not agree that "God is love" is stated in the bible. 0 0%
I am a Christian. I do not agree with the description of love in 1 Cor 13. 3 15.00%
I am not a Christian. I do not agree with the description of love in 1 Cor 13. 0 0%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 07:27 PM

63,891 posts, read 40,172,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
So, Twin, are you answering my question because you are the Christian poster who said he doesn't agree with the 1 Cor 13 description of love? It seems like you're saying that it is so imperative you not seem to be in agreement with things that you aren't, that you can't acknowledge the things that you DO agree with.
I know you feel the statement "God is love" is qualified, or limited, by other things in the bible. But that doesn't mean you don't agree with the statement, nor with 1 Cor 13. Someone started a thread asking what Christians can agree on. I certainly thought the 2 things in this poll were a no-brainer for agreement, regardless of whatever conditions you or anyone else feels are put on them.
People who do not heed God's love in them will never agree with you, Pleroo. You have to accept God's love before you can relate to it. That is why we are told the Father calls us . . . we don't choose the Father.We accept Him or reject Him within our hearts before we can express it beyond ourselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 07:39 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,506,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
So, in your opinion expat and twin, the 1 Cor 13 description of love has nothing to do with the biblical statement that God is love and has nothing to do with the attributes of the God who is love?

Interesting.
God's love must and foremost be centered in view of the cross.

Correct theology believes and teaches :
“God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son.” In order to escape the justice I
brought upon myself, God sent his Son into the world to rescue me. Not only did he send him
into my world, he also made him my substitute. In love, Jesus took my place under God’s holy
law. He lived the perfect life I could never live. In love, Jesus took my place under God’s
punishment. He died the sinless death I could never die. In love, Jesus went to Satan’s
stronghold. He descended into hell to proclaim that he set me free from death and endless
tyranny. "

Last edited by twin.spin; 09-12-2014 at 07:55 PM..

Old 09-12-2014, 07:58 PM

8,183 posts, read 6,940,287 times
1 John 4:8 - Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.

Fear is such a hindrance to love.

My God. No wonder Jesus told us to "love your neighbor as yourself". Love is the light that pushes people out of the darkness of fear. How can a person understand love, if they do not feel the power of love in their own lives? Love is gentle, kind, patient... GENTLE. KIND. Those who fight the most against "God is love" perhaps are in need of love being shown to them. Be gentle... kind. Hard/tough/unyeilding exteriors are usually protecting something within.

Be kind... gentle.

just something to think about.
peace,
sparrow

Old 09-12-2014, 09:52 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,392,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Love is the light that pushes people out of the darkness of fear.
Unfortunately, there are those who prefer to remain in darkness, never entering the light.

Old 09-12-2014, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
God's love must and foremost be centered in view of the cross.

Correct theology believes and teaches :
“God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son.” In order to escape the justice I
brought upon myself, God sent his Son into the world to rescue me. Not only did he send him
into my world, he also made him my substitute. In love, Jesus took my place under God’s holy
law. He lived the perfect life I could never live. In love, Jesus took my place under God’s
punishment. He died the sinless death I could never die. In love, Jesus went to Satan’s
stronghold. He descended into hell to proclaim that he set me free from death and endless
tyranny. "
The state of a person's mind, directs their thoughts.

Old 09-12-2014, 11:21 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,937,919 times
John 4;24, God is Spirit, and they that worship Him ,must worship him in Spirit thad in truth.

God loved the world , but that love does not bring Him to compromise with sin (rebellion self govern) , then now or ever.

First words of the gospel are repent , that means turning fem self govern, to God govern.

And one cannot be God Governed with out the Holy Spirit Jesus EXCLUSIVELY provided to teach in His place. Matthew 23;7,8, John 14;16,-26, 15;26, 16;7,

Jesus alone, is the word of God. John 1;
NO one else not even Paul .

Paul would have done much better if he had learned obedience, and taught being obedient to God, via the Holy Spirit, rather then promoting the govern of men.But that was his culture, Not God's design.

Being a Pharisee he did not give up (repent ) his title and position, using it rather to make a gospel in is own reason.
Jesus directed the disciples to preach His gospel to the whole world. Matthew 28;19 ,
Not a separate gospel for the gentile.

The obedient Holy Spirit taught believer, is not a priest/teacher/father/master/ to other believers.

He is a messenger / delivery boy,, to the unsaved ignorant world.

His job is to make God's provision known, and be teacher to them only, so long as they are with out the Holy Spirit tutelage.

Those in the world that hear the message, have a choice to make.
Repent= Give up self govern , and turn to God's govern. there is no middle road.
Jesus said the way is narrow.
When a man chooses God's govern honestly , accepting Jesus as Lord and master, things begin to change .
This is not just a one shot ritual, this is a life style.
John 3; 16,17, 18, God's judgment still stands, on the world with out His govern.
God does not compromise with sin=self govern.

God's govern is not hard nor cruel nor impossible accept among the ignorant.
God teaches one how to pray and what to pray for, and where to direct ones interests , even the disbursement of resources.
It had been my experience that though it may seem as though I am giving something up of value to some one else "by His instruction", the reward is far greater than what I thought I had given up.
Just as an example , A man put in my path needed a 2500 watt generator and air compressor for a orphanage in mexico . and was given to provide it for him.
In less than a few weeks time I acquired a like new 4500 watt gas driven generator, and a new 6500 watt diesel generator and several more air compressors. Free. No obligation to any one, nor did these know of my actions.
Nay sayers can blather away ,
but this is normal for me.
First commandment is Love God.
David said , delight thy self in the Lord, and He will give thee the desires of thine heart.
If ones desire is to love God , He will provide opportunity to show it in obedience to Him.
If one's desire is self serving , one has a very long wait.
Prove your love for God by obedience to Him in taking His personal instruction seriously. that's worship.
Then when God does give instruction dealing with some one else, do just as He instructs, no more, and no less.
This is obedience ,and God's love is being expressed, the way He intends .

Old 09-13-2014, 12:01 AM

1,614 posts, read 1,246,675 times

Gods Love For Us

Isaiah 41:13 ESV
For I, the Lord your God, hold your right hand; it is I who say to you, “Fear not, I am the one who helps you.”

1 John 4:19 ESV
We love because he first loved us.

1 John 4:10 ESV
In this is love, not that we have loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.

Romans 8:35-39 ESV
Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword? As it is written, “For your sake we are being killed all the day long; we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered.” No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Romans 5:8 ESV
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

Ephesians 3:19
And to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.

Isaiah 49:15 ESV
“Can a woman forget her nursing child, that she should have no compassion on the son of her womb? Even these may forget, yet I will not forget you.

1 John 3:1 ESV
See what kind of love the Father has given to us, that we should be called children of God; and so we are. The reason why the world does not know us is that it did not know him.

1 John 4:9 ESV
In this the love of God was made manifest among us, that God sent his only Son into the world, so that we might live through him.

John 15:9 ESV
As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Abide in my love.

1 John 4:8 ESV
Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love.

John 15:13 ESV
Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends.

1 John 3:16 ESV

By this we know love, that he laid down his life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brothers.

1 Corinthians 13:13 ESV
So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

1 Corinthians 13:3-10 ESV
If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing. Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

Mark 10:13-15 ESV
And they were bringing children to him that he might touch them, and the disciples rebuked them. But when Jesus saw it, he was indignant and said to them, “Let the children come to me; do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of God. Truly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it.”

John 10:10 ESV
The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly.

Jeremiah 29:11 ESV
For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Hebrews 13:5 ESV
Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.”

Ephesians 1:3 ESV
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places,

1 Corinthians 13:1-13 ESV
If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing. Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful;

Psalm 103:12 ESV
As far as the east is from the west, so far does he remove our transgressions from us.

Revelation 3:20 ESV
Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me.

Ephesians 3:17-19 ESV
So that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith—that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.

2 Corinthians 5:14 ESV
For the love of Christ controls us, because we have concluded this: that one has died for all, therefore all have died;

Matthew 5:45 ESV
So that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven. For he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.

Old 09-13-2014, 08:10 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,410,437 times
Well, my theory was wrong. I thought that the concept that God is love (and the 1 Cor description of love) was a basic and non-controversial truth within Christianity. Both are lifted directly from the pages of the bible, and I included zero subjective input on the subject in my poll, and purposely drew no conclusions about either statement. I was wrong that there is something all Christians agree on, however. Oh well.

Thanks for the bible passages Heartsong.

Old 09-13-2014, 09:09 AM

Love is a difficult concept for those who seek cruelty; and pleasure.
For many, Christianity has become a system of punishments and rewards.

Last edited by Jerwade; 09-13-2014 at 09:29 AM..

Old 09-13-2014, 09:58 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,410,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Love is a difficult concept for those who seek cruelty; and pleasure.
For many, Christianity has become a system of punishments and rewards.
That appears to be true. Love for the sake of love seems to be a foreign concept to some people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity