Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: "God is love" and 1 Cor 13
I am a Christian. "God is love" is a direct quote from the bible. 8 40.00%
I am not a Christian. "God is love" is a direct quote from the bible. 0 0%
I am a Christian. I agree with the description of love in 1 Cor 13. 5 25.00%
I am not a Christian. I agree with the description of love in 1 Cor 13. 3 15.00%
I am a Christian. I do not agree that "God is love" is stated in the bible. 1 5.00%
I am not a Chrisitian. I do not agree that "God is love" is stated in the bible. 0 0%
I am a Christian. I do not agree with the description of love in 1 Cor 13. 3 15.00%
I am not a Christian. I do not agree with the description of love in 1 Cor 13. 0 0%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 10:51 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,543,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Love is a difficult concept for those who seek cruelty; and pleasure.
For many, Christianity has become a system of punishments and rewards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
That appears to be true. Love for the sake of love seems to be a foreign concept to some people.
John 5:28
"a time is coming when all who are in their graves will hear his voice and come out—
those who have done what is good will rise to live,
(rewards)
and those who have done what is evil will rise to be condemned." ( punishments) .... Jesus
John 8:47
Whoever belongs to God hears what God says.
The reason you do not hear is that you do not belong to God.”
Jesus explains why Christians hear and why most people do not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2014, 10:59 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,322,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
John 5:28
"a time is coming when all who are in their graves will hear his voice and come out—
those who have done what is good will rise to live,
(rewards)
and those who have done what is evil will rise to be condemned." ( punishments) .... Jesus
John 8:47
Whoever belongs to God hears what God says.
The reason you do not hear is that you do not belong to God.”
Jesus explains why Christians hear and why most people do not.
Jesus wasn't talking about Christians.

Old 09-13-2014, 04:55 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,510,062 times
Quote:
So, in your opinion expat and twin, the 1 Cor 13 description of love has nothing to do with the biblical statement that God is love and has nothing to do with the attributes of the God who is love?

Interesting.
It is not addressing God at all. It is addressing Human love for one another and agape love at that.

Old 09-13-2014, 05:06 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,456,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
It is not addressing God at all. It is addressing Human love for one another and agape love at that.
Yet if God IS love, then that is where the things which qualify as love originate from. So, how can the description of love in 1 Cor 13 have nothing to do with God? That doesn't make any sense.

Old 09-13-2014, 05:10 PM

61,254 posts, read 87,683,335 times
we dont disagree on this we are all on the same page but when we say love we mean different things by it.
do we mean be a door mat. do we mean everything is free and just for me.
do we mean me first you last
do we mean god will forgive anything i do no consequences bek im somebodies son?
you got to clarify what you mean when you say god is love
how bout this
if i cross on the red and am hit by a car
did god strike me down?

Old 09-13-2014, 05:37 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,456,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
we dont disagree on this we are all on the same page but when we say love we mean different things by it.
do we mean be a door mat. do we mean everything is free and just for me.
do we mean me first you last
do we mean god will forgive anything i do no consequences bek im somebodies son?
you got to clarify what you mean when you say god is love
how bout this
if i cross on the red and am hit by a car
did god strike me down?
I believe 1 Cor 13 goes a long way toward clarifying what "God is love" means. That's why I included it in the poll.

If you get hit by a car, the car struck you down. What does that have to do with the question of love?

Old 09-14-2014, 12:32 PM

1,614 posts, read 1,251,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Love is a difficult concept for those who seek cruelty; and pleasure.
For many, Christianity has become a system of punishments and rewards.
Apparently so. I'm astonished at how much the importance of love is downplayed by so many professing Christians. I often wonder how in a "Christian" nation there is such a magnitude of violence and hatred, but perhaps it is explained by the fact that there are many Christians who think very little of LOVE and call it names like "namby pamby" "feel-good" and other derogatory terms. Love and mercy are the highest virtues and they ARE the spiritual essence that makes God HOLY. If people don't get that - then it is no wonder there is so much confusion and lack of the manifestation of good spiritual fruit.

Old 09-14-2014, 12:37 PM

1,614 posts, read 1,251,263 times
Quote:
Yet if God IS love, then that is where the things which qualify as love originate from. So, how can the description of love in 1 Cor 13 have nothing to do with God? That doesn't make any sense.
You are right. It certainly does not make any sense. Many very religious people do not believe God is Love - that is clear. No wonder they do not bring words of edification with them. No wonder so much condemnation is uttered.

Old 09-14-2014, 12:43 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,973,796 times
God is agape love, the highest form of love. God is immutable day in day out with the love he has for us. We are his children, he loves us, it is unconditional

Last edited by perry335654; 09-14-2014 at 12:56 PM..

Old 09-14-2014, 12:50 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,488,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart_Song View Post
Apparently so. I'm astonished at how much the importance of love is downplayed by so many professing Christians. I often wonder how in a "Christian" nation there is such a magnitude of violence and hatred, but perhaps it is explained by the fact that there are many Christians who think very little of LOVE and call it names like "namby pamby" "feel-good" and other derogatory terms. Love and mercy are the highest virtues and they ARE the spiritual essence that makes God HOLY. If people don't get that - then it is no wonder there is so much confusion and lack of the manifestation of good spiritual fruit.
I am a country boy, hippie who enjoys hugging trees.
Especially, when the fruit of the Spirit is present.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity