Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 08:24 PM

9,913 posts, read 9,621,902 times

Advertisements

I was watching this Bible movie today called Jesus of Nazareth, with Robert Powell. A few things hit me and thought I'd share to see if you can make sense out of this.

People had the real Jesus Christ - RIGHT there in person, the Son of God. Yet some did not believe. And no wonder people nowadays have a problem believing since Jesus is not here in the flesh. But way back in the day, they saw him with their own eyes and ears and yet - some disbelieved. Amazing

Also, didn't they get a clue when they saw his miracles like this had to be a special person? Like raising Lazarus from the dead. OK heres a big clue - they were all looking for the Messiah. One person said about Jesus when he was coming to the Passover shortly before Good Friday. The actor said "whats with him - he's riding on a donkey" Now wait. If they had studied their Old Testament prophets, since they were pretty religious back then, wouldn't something kick in their memory, like "heeeyyyy this man is riding on a donkey, wasn't that a sign of the Messiah?" duh!!

also I thought it was pretty cool that Jesus never stopped anyone from worshipping him on the earth, or calling him such things that would refer to him as the Son of God. Wouldn't that be a clue?

I do have one quandry - when the woman caught in adultery was brought before him, you know the famous "He that is without sin let him cast the first stone" Well guess what - Jesus was the ONLY one qualified and he did not stone her. did you all catch that about that story? OK heres' my question, why did Jesus say "Neither do I condemn you" There is some great meaning behind that. If Jesus is the same, today as yesterday, is that his attitude about sin? I keep on hearing two attitudes - hellfire and brimstone and the other side gentle and forgiving? I wonder if thats what Jesus thinks of me with that.

So what do you all think about my above questions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 08:44 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,947,173 times
The last question is the really important one because, frankly, it is the part of Jesus' life and ministry that few "Christians" seem to incorporate into their faith. The message is all about how to regain community when we have failed. Jesus was not passing over or ignoring the failure of the woman, He said "sin no more," but He WAS offering her an opportunity to change he perceptions and regain her position with respect to God and manby demonstrating that she stood in the same need of redemption, forgiveness, that everone else in that crowd did and He made them see that too. This is why His prayer on the cross is so basic to the message, "Father forgive them for they know not what they do," his executioners had no idea of the harm they were doing, not just to Jesus, but to themselves by their actions.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:11 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,860,659 times
Good question.
Jesus came to move faith from the head/law to the heart/love, which is the personal relationship God has always sought with man. In this case, the religious Pharisees were seeking to condemn the woman under the law. Jesus again confronted the legalists, but, He did not declare the law wrong. Instead, He dispensed grace and forgiveness to the woman ... and to US! (That's also why He said, I've not come to abolish the law, but, to fulfill it").

However, while Jesus sees into the heart and forgives repentant sinners, He never simply ignores or approves of sin! He died, in fact, so that we could be forgiven ... since, none of us is free of sin and thus, able to 'cast the first stone.' In this respect, your quote is incomplete: Jn 8:11 - “Then neither do I condemn you,” Jesus declared. “Go now and leave your life of sin.”

The initial title is confusing: "Why people do not believe in Jesus" ? -- Are you saying "This is why YOU do not believe in (trust, depend on, love) Jesus?" or are you offering an explanation of why others may not believe? (Neither the point of the title - or the reason behind it, is clear (?)). -- (BTW, Most of the movies about Jesus ... are movies -- and take whatever liberties with scripture that seem necessary for the sake of 'theater')

Last edited by jghorton; 09-17-2014 at 09:25 PM..

Old 09-17-2014, 10:12 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,513,356 times
concerning the last question .....

1) The purpose of the accuser had something to do with Jesus' response:
"They were using this question as a trap, in order to have a basis for accusing him."
2) Have you noticed that the hypocrites only "brought in a woman caught in adultery"
point being: what about the other offender?
It's not that Jesus ignored the sin, rather did not allow her accusers to judge themselves more righteous than she.

3) So why did Jesus not condemn her?
Jesus is God ... "the same, today and forever" Hebrews 13:8

As God, Jesus knows the thoughts in the heart: Psalm 44:21, 1 Chronicles 28:9, Matthew 9:4

Apparently Jesus knew her thoughts, seen genuine penitent thus announced forgiveness,
"Neither do I condemn you." ... something which was never stated to those who are unrepentant of their sin.
4) What was the last sentence told to that woman ... Jesus looks for fruits of genuine repentance.
"Go now and leave your life of sin."

Old 09-18-2014, 01:15 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,543,106 times
People did not believe in Him since they did not want to turn from their sins. There love for their sins were greater. Even Jesus said that.

Old 09-18-2014, 06:55 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,437,392 times
Probably for the same reason that if someone today claimed to be the son of God youd call them a nutbag. Same as 2000 years ago....

Old 09-18-2014, 08:09 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,348,089 times
In the context of those times, he was a Jewish rabbi who was preaching against the status quo. He was trying to reform his own religion. And because of that, he was looked upon with suspicion as an outsider... outside the traditional faith. So it's understandable that many, if not most, would not believe. How would you look at someone that started speaking out trying to change your religion and wanting to change your own comfort zone?

Old 09-18-2014, 08:14 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,419,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
In the context of those times, he was a Jewish rabbi who was preaching against the status quo. He was trying to reform his own religion. And because of that, he was looked upon with suspicion as an outsider... outside the traditional faith. So it's understandable that many, if not most, would not believe. How would you look at someone that started speaking out trying to change your religion and wanting to change your own comfort zone?
Just look around this forum and you'll have an answer to the way many Christians apparently feel about other Christians who don't agree with traditional Christianity.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:09 AM

939 posts, read 797,045 times
People reject Jesus for alot of reasons. One is ignorance- meaning lack of knowledge about Him. Some reject Him because they have had very difficult lives, and can't equate an all loving and powerful God because of that. Finally, for a non believer to believe, it means they have to admit that they have been wrong about the most important issue in life, for their entire life. Pride keeps people from admitting they are wrong- even about minor issues, much less something with eternal consequences.i

Old 09-18-2014, 09:23 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,609,734 times
God doesn't want people forced into believing in Him. That would make them unsavable, because it
would be a violation of their free will, and as free will brought sin into the world, free will is what
saved us, that of the Virgin Mother. This is why Jesus was choosy about whom he worked miracles
with, and often required belief before He worked miracles. This is also why He could not be the
fleshly, evil messiah which the Pharisees expected. In order to have eternal life, men and women
must believe and love God, not be de-facto forced into believing because he's materializing visibly
in their living rooms or ending physical suffering in this world yet.

Peter's Confession of Christ
(Mark 8:27-30; Luke 9:18-20; John 6:66-71)

13When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am? 14And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets. 15He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am? 16And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. 17And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven. 18And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. 19And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. 20Then charged he his disciples that they should tell no man that he was Jesus the Christ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity