Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2014, 12:55 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,134,598 times

Advertisements

Christianity now is NOT what it used to be. It changed. I believe that everything is subject to change. It's a natural law of the Universe and all things and clubs and beliefs are subject to it.

Notice, that when people used to believe in kings, they perceived God mostly as a king: someone to be revered and someone to be afraid of. (like people were afraid of kings)

But people's perceptions of their leaders has changed. Now they are more on "friendly" terms. So a God became more of a friend figure, someone to depend on and trust into rather than someone to fear and admire from afar.

But it takes time for beliefs to morph. So that's why very traditional Christians are not so much on friendly terms with God. They are still a bit stuck in the old testament belief that "God is a king and we have to be afraid and we will never be like him" concept.

So even though Jesus tried to take away that belief by saying: you are my friends... and that "those who follow me will do even more things than I am doing"... and I am in God and I am in you and God is in me and in you and we are all one pretty much. And John said that we will be like him because we will see him as he is.

But many Christians are afraid to embrace it just yet. However, a new branch of Christianity is finally embracing these ideas. They are called "New Age Christians"

At some point the traditional christians (those who are afraid to fully embrace Jesus and Paul's teachings) will die off and the world will be on "friendly" terms with God overall. And in fact, we'll start to understand that we are one with God. Jesus said: what you do to others, you do to me. He meant: I am in them. They are a part of me. If God is in you, then you could be considered God. Jesus said: it's the Father who does things through me. Christians believe that also. They just don't dare to call themselves God, like Jesus did when he said: me and the father are one.

Christians think that being all humble and not understand who they really are is a great thing. But it's just a thing someone does when they don't understand how things really are.

It used to be that people were quiet in temples: it was a sacred and a holy place. Physically speaking. Ritualistically speaking. Like in Jewish temples of the ancient times.

But people mostly outgrew that by now. But you can still observe the remainder of this belief in some churches. They tell you to be quiet and not to talk in a church building because it's a holy place (like Jewish temples holy thing, that idea).

But in most churches it's not like that anymore. The holiness is about being in the heart and about being good (not about being quiet in a temple and observe certain rituals). So people feel more free and friendly-like in churches now.

Oh and the biggest change from Paul's days to here: Paul did not believe in hell, but the idea of hell came later, over the years, and got absorbed into the Christianity. Why I know that? Because Paul mentioned important things in his letters. And he never once mentioned hell. To me, as a smart and observant person, that rang a bell: wait a minute... why didn't he? Oh, that's right, it didn't cross his mind. His beliefs were more of a Jewish kind, where they believed that a soul who sinneth must die. And this death Paul did mention a few times in his writings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2014, 08:21 PM

840 posts, read 773,633 times
God gave the Israelites the Old Law Covenant to live by. He didn't expect them to be able to do so perfectly, but they often didn't even try. He warned them what would happen if they turned their backs on his true worship --that he would withdraw his protection of them-- but they repeatedly did so. For example, they were told:

"For the eyes of Jehovah are roving about through all the earth to show his strength
in behalf of those whose heart is complete toward him.
You have acted foolishly in this matter; from now on there will be wars against you.” 2 Chronicles 16:9

At such times they went so far as to worship pagan gods --and, as if that wasn't bad enough--
they even offered their living children as burnt offerings to Baal!

God disciplined them by allowing worldly forces to plunder their nation & take many of them prisoner . . . and in time the remnant of them would repent, & were allowed to go back to their land. However, over time their religious leaders began adding man-made traditions to their worship, which was totally unacceptable!

Jesus Christ made that fact amply clear when he told them:

“Why do you overstep the commandment of God because of your tradition? You have 'made' the word of God invalid because of your tradition. You hypocrites, Isaiah aptly prophesied about you when he said: ‘This people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far removed from me. It is in vain that they keep worshipping me, for they teach commands of men as doctrines.’” (Matthew 15:3, 6b-9 --- See also Isaiah 29:13)

Mark 7:5-9 reads similarly . . .

So these Pharisees and scribes asked him: “Why do your disciples not observe the tradition of the men of former times, but they eat their meal with defiled hands?”He said to them: “Isaiah aptly prophesied about you hypocrites, as it is written, ‘This people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far removed from me.It is in vain that they keep worshipping me, for they teach commands of men as doctrines.’ You let go of the commandment of God and cling to the tradition of men.”

Christ also said to some of the Pharisees . . .

"Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the killer of the prophets and stoner of those sent to her—how often I wanted to gather your children together the way a hen gathers her brood of chicks under her wings! But you did not want it. Look! Your house is abandoned to you.’” Luke 13:34, 35a

Now, please notice the apostle Paul's later inspired warning to Christians:

"Look out that no one takes you captive by means of the philosophyandempty deception according tohuman tradition, according to the elementary things of the world and not according to Christ." Colossians 2:8

"Let no man deceive you with empty words,
for because of such things the wrath of God is coming upon the sons of disobedience." Ephesians 5:6

"Therefore, I appeal to you by the compassions of God, brothers,
to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God,
a sacred service with your power of reason." Romans 12:1

True Christian teachings never change.
When Christ described his followers in the future, he pointed this out:

“Nevertheless . . . the true worshippers will worship the Father with spirit and truth,
for indeed . . . those worshipping him must worship with spirit and truth.” John 4:23, 24

Your word is truth.” John 17:17b

He also made clear that the worship of a great many who claim to follow him today, would not be acceptable:

"Many will say to me in that day:
‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy ... expel demons ... and perform many powerful works in your name?
And then I will declare to them:
‘I never knew you! Get away from me, you workers of lawlessness!’"
Matthew 7:22, 23

"For false Christs and false prophets will arise and will perform signs and wonders
to lead astray, if possible, the chosen ones. You, then, watch out. . . ." Mark 13:22, 23

Thus, God's Word shows that beliefs, teachings, & practices that are not in the Bible are erroneous and unacceptable to him, forevermore.

True Christians follow God's Word just as Christ himself did.

That is what 'Christian' means . . . 'a follower of Christ'.

They neither twist its meaning ... nor try to add to, or, take away from it.

For they acknowledge with their whole hearts that . . .

"The very essence of your word is truth,
And all your righteous judgments endure forever." Psalm 119:160

Just as our Creator abandoned the errant nation of Israel,
he will likewise dispose of apostate Christian religions at the hands of the worldly nations. (See Revelation 17)

Old 09-21-2014, 10:06 AM

14,880 posts, read 17,156,182 times
Quote:

If God is in you, then you could be considered God. Jesus said: it's the
Father who does things through me. Christians believe that also. They just
don't dare to call themselves God, like Jesus did when he said: me and the
father are one.
Hi, my belief is that Jesus never put Himself on the same level as the Father. He was one with Him in purpose and the Father lived in Him. But Jesus was subject to the Father, as we should all be subject to Him. He dwells in us but we are not God. We are His creatures, His offspring, His children. God bless.

Old 09-21-2014, 10:44 AM

4,217 posts, read 2,785,454 times
Yes. The Lord and I are One. I am the light of the world no one who follows me shall ever walk in darkness because he will possess the light of life.

Those are not my words but the words of the Lord who gave them to me, who sent me to go into the world as He was sent. He commissioned me to proclaim; The spirit of the Lord is upon me because He has anointed me. He sent me to proclaim good news to the poor and release to the captives, to give sight to the blind and free the oppressed and to anounce a year of favor from the Lord.

It is written in the prophets;

"The righteous shall dwell in the land and live in it forever."

"The Lord redeems the lives of His servants, no one who takes refuge in Him incurs guilt."

Worship God alone, Him alone shall you serve.

Old 09-21-2014, 07:34 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,785,454 times
"I will strengthen and purify the lips of the people so they will all call upon the name of the Lord to serve Him with one accord", says the Lord

The Lord says this; "I am going to make right a measuring line and justice a level."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity