Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 01:14 AM

233 posts, read 375,905 times

Advertisements

I'm not going to quote the Bible once here, rather I want to see if anyone else is seeing what is happening in the mainstream Evangelical churches, more and more - here's what I see as a Christ surrendered commoner. I have no theological background, I'm not an evangelist or some forum supremacist who will plaster you with 50 Bible quotes, all neatly bolded and underlined. I'm just a 24 year old guy who has returned to Christ. I don't buy into what the mainstream evangelical expects my generation to buy into:

"Are you saved?" "sick of church?" "here at stonebriar creek ridge timberview [insert Non-offensive nature name] Church, we're casual.." "come as you are, [stay as you are, god's not condemning you]" "our worship crew has more tattoos than that other church" "we taught our kids to give their own personal testimony louder than that other church"

The 21st century technology focused American church, afraid to preach TRUE repentance, avoiding rules and regulations, providing a 100% smooth service every time, no bad audio speakers, no bad A/C, no uncomfortable chairs, and certainly no anti P/C sermons. Always moving out to the nicer part of town, closer to the freeway. Gone are the days of the neighborhood Protestant church. Even the small churches are modeling after the mega church, just look around it's smacking you in the face.

I was raised in this superficial doctrine that you can not lose your salvation no matter what once accepting Christ. It's simply not true - during college I really tried to ignore Christ, I lived lawlessly - and YES I was in spiritual danger! See, you can be saved at church camp when you are 15, that's great, but if you choose to be an atheist when you become an adult, you can definitely lose your salvation and eternal security! SO many young people are "ex-christians" that I know, they are spiritual, they don't believe in "organized religion per-say," they are "spiritual, with hints of Buddhism," or my favorite but actually least favorite "Jesus was a hippy bro."

I think a lot of contemporary churches are using this as some sort of ploy to think they are doing young people a favor. Just look at the culture some contemporary churches are assimilating to now-days, it's honestly what I'M interpreting as a spirit of "anti-authority" and "self-expression" the "I matter" "church of ME" mentality - which is NOT CHRIST LIKE.

I think there are a lot of baby boomers parents who were personally raised young in strict churches, and so when this rise of contemporary churches came around, contemporary, commercialized top 40 worship and fast-food church, they thought - well this is good, it strips away all of the formalities and our kids see that they can "come as they are." It's "culturally relevant" they say... WHAT CULTURE DO YOU WANT TO BE RELEVANT TO? I'm not saying "who do you want to appeal to?" I'm saying, how far do you go until you are basically assimilating to them, there is NO repentance there. Formalities aren't JUST symbols, CHRIST deserves RESPECT - sit up there Happy! Take off that Pro-weed shirt Junior!

"Come as you are.." Salvation is NOT just an altar call. Come as you are, but if you're going to believe and follow Jesus you have to CHANGE and repent! It's not an option! No one wants to SCARE the kids of today. Everyone wants to be popular and grow their church numbers! It's disgusting commercialization of the Grace of Jesus, and it's NOT spiritual reality of the kingdom.

I am just a lay person commoner, I accept authority in Christ and scripture and even CHURCH, I lay myself aside. You HAVE to repent and follow Christ. It's not about being a mini-theologian, a mini-self interpreter, a mini-band player up front - the focus is CHRIST in corporate worship.

I'm DONE with the ever splitting, ever self-interpreting contemporary non-offensive fast food churches of today. It truly is becoming the mainstream.*

**Mainline protestant groups - United Methodist, United Church of Christ, Ev. Lutherans are now the liberal congregations. Interesting - when my baby-boomer father was growing up- these churches were conservative mainstream. These were the neighborhood churches! Every neighborhood had one! When did they start losing membership? At the rise of non-denominational contemporary church appeal. Well - a big part of the reason these congregations became liberal is to try to appease the mainstream masses to try to win members back. At the TIME - contemporary worship is where the people who were "serious" about their faith were going, non-denominational evangelical Christianity was the true place to be. Guess what - it's now mainstream - yep, contemporary churches are now starting to become liberal in theology in their self-governed pastor decides which way the wind is blowing cultures.

Give it time guys - see what happened in your "grandma's" methodist church, Lutheran church, Church of Christ? So many embracing non-biblical practices such as abortion, marrying-gays etc. It's NOT the church my Methodist grandmother so devoutly learned the truth of Christ in. I promise you now - give it twenty years and the mainstream contemporary non-offensive non-denominational churches WILL be doing the same thing on a mainstream basis.

When will the irony stop being appealing? What will happen when the "tatoo'd worship band" loses it's appeal, what ironic, rebellious attitudes will we take on next to prove that formalities to not matter? Prayers that more people see the light, and get ahead of the game on turning from these, fast-food churches. It's REALLY becoming a problem. 26,000 denominations.

Here are a few links that provide direct examples to what I am talking about, cultural CHURCH bedrock is being turned upside down (3 links):
The Vineyard churches have a reputation for their appealing music acts, and contemporary evangelical theology ... 5 years ago I would have never seen them to start following the pattern of churches like the United Church of Christ, Mainline Protestant, etc, with gay marriage.. it begins.....
No, Pastor, Jesus Did Not Tell You to Support Homosexuality

Here's the pastor that plays Katy Perry during his worship, to appeal to people who "just don't want it to feel like church." This will start a whole new wave of people doing this in an ironic sense, where does it end? Here is your new mainstream evangelical - 25 years, promise! What will happen when this pastor is 75? What will the generations of flock he shepherded look like? Will the irony end? Look at the absolute anti-authoritative message being portrayed. Satanic.
Pastor Says 'Church Sucks,' Mixes Worship With Katy Perry, Maroon 5; Tells Congregation 'Don't Get Your Panties in a Bunch'

Here's a great video for your entertainment on what today's top-shelf mega church experience will be like. Just trying to have a little humor here..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RJB...-jZuNw&index=1

I am currently attending RCIA and realized the sacred-ness of authority, of liturgy, and of communion. I am not trying to sell any of you on that as it is a personal decision. I was raised Holiness, then Pentecostal, then Vineyard Megachurch, then College Liberal. Now becoming Catholic, and learning more about Jesus than ever. HOWEVER, that's NOT the point of this post. I truly want to know is anyone else is saddened by this culture, what are we doing about it? What do we truly envision the church to be in our society?? All of my family is in the protestant church, they Love the Lord Jesus, and I don't think they understand how secular the culture is getting in SO many branches.

This realization that there was nowhere for me to turn is a huge part of what led me to this place in my faith, as well as what I perceive to be doctrinal truths. I dare to ask - is anyone else aware or annoyed by this stuff? Regardless of your Christian beliefs/denomination...

Last edited by burrrrr; 09-22-2014 at 01:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 10:39 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,303,839 times
You're 24.

You have a lot to experience and process.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:45 AM

9,915 posts, read 9,655,326 times
That's a "seeker friendly" church. They will choose to compromise in order to bring people in, sometimes with good intentions .. or out of ignorance.

There is one thing that is becoming popular in a huge church - a cafeteria where they sell snacks. I think that might be ok, because if you have a lot of programs and classes and bible school going on, it might be ok to have that between church activities. but some people think that's an abomination but I don't see anything wrong with that.

Old 09-22-2014, 11:22 AM

233 posts, read 375,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
You're 24.

You have a lot to experience and process.
Of course I do, that never stops!! I'm not going to re-invent the wheel over and over in my life, just so my traditions and beliefs are *surely* not like the last guy...

In reality, I'm BLESSED enough to live in a wealthy nation, where we can afford Bibles upon Bibles, where we can READ, comprehend, and come up with our personalized ME translation of the Bible. So many nations are FULL of people who are illiterate, they do not have this privilege.

When the church began, people were not able to pick up 50 translations of the Bible and go spit and spat on the City-Data Forum! The Church spread the gospel! We didn't have mini Google inspired theologians running around everywhere!

Yes, I caught the undertone of you brushing me off for my age. I'm not going to ask your age, but how would you like it if you put out a heart felt message and someone just walks by and says, "You're an infant."

If anything, give me some encouraging words!

Old 09-22-2014, 11:26 AM

1,516 posts, read 1,389,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burrrrr View Post
Of course I do, that never stops!! I'm not going to re-invent the wheel over and over in my life, just so my traditions and beliefs are *surely* not like the last guy...

In reality, I'm BLESSED enough to live in a wealthy nation, where we can afford Bibles upon Bibles, where we can READ, comprehend, and come up with our personalized ME translation of the Bible. So many nations are FULL of people who are illiterate, they do not have this privilege.

When the church began, people were not able to pick up 50 translations of the Bible and go spit and spat on the City-Data Forum! The Church spread the gospel! We didn't have mini Google inspired theologians running around everywhere!

Yes, I caught the undertone of you brushing me off for my age. I'm not going to ask your age, but how would you like it if you put out a heart felt message and someone just walks by and says, "You're an infant."

He just meant you have alot of time to grow...yeah, that's it!

Old 09-22-2014, 11:44 AM

1,606 posts, read 1,259,952 times
Well said! Churches are increasingly trying to be 'popular' and to do that, they are conforming to the world instead of standing in the truth of God. There is a church near where I live that has actually hung homosexual flags on every side of the building. They are not only accepting sin, now they are celebrating it! It is the same across the board.

Try to find a church that will remove a man from membership because he is divorcing his wife. or try to find a church that would give up its tax-exempt status. These churches are scarce to be sure.

Sign of the times I suppose.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:36 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,389,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
Well said! Churches are increasingly trying to be 'popular' and to do that, they are conforming to the world instead of standing in the truth of God. There is a church near where I live that has actually hung homosexual flags on every side of the building. They are not only accepting sin, now they are celebrating it! It is the same across the board.

Try to find a church that will remove a man from membership because he is divorcing his wife. or try to find a church that would give up its tax-exempt status. These churches are scarce to be sure.

Sign of the times I suppose.
.......while your at it, try to find a Church that doesn't use instruments, electricity, never shave, and teaches men to club and drag women to get them a wife..while making sure their heads are literally covered during prayer... Anything to avoid a more evolved (and accurate) understanding of scripture! Ultra-Traditionalists, unite! Dyslexics of the world, untie! ;p

...Though, a church that would give up that tax-exempt status might be praise worthy...and yes, I am getting kinda tired of pop Christian cliches and rarely effective altercalls...I guess we all have our own issues with modern church.

Last edited by Jrhockney; 09-22-2014 at 01:06 PM..

Old 09-22-2014, 01:11 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,301,058 times
[quote=JJ_Maxx;........... There is a church near where I live that has actually hung homosexual flags on every side of the building. They are not only accepting sin, now they are celebrating it!
[/QUOTE]

So what are you doing besides shaking your finger at them? (Oh, wait. You found an opportunity to bring up gays again and judge them.... but besides that...) Ever been inside? Do you know any members of the church? For all you know they could have a Meals on Wheels ministry blessing the home-bound elderly in your town.

OP: Here's my advice for your journey. Don't become the guy complaining about how everyone else does it. The very fact that you're attending RCIA classes to become a Roman Catholic means some people, including fellow Christians, will gladly judge and complain about..... you.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 09-22-2014 at 01:28 PM..

Old 09-22-2014, 01:58 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,303,839 times
Quote:
...snip...

I thought I did.

(I'm 63. The experiencing and processing continues.)

Old 09-22-2014, 02:09 PM

64,089 posts, read 40,382,096 times
Quote:
How about this to give you hope. Your brain is probably just now reaching full maturity and reasoning power (it typically happens around 25 y/o). From here on out you will have full adult brain processing power to engage these issues. Be happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity