Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 12:56 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,283,607 times

Advertisements

I mean the different doctrines and all: How we sit, how we stand, how we this and that. If we are all serving Christ according to the Holy Bible, and walking according to His will which is His word; Do we really spend too much time focusing on our differences, than our likeness and unity?
Just want to get your take on this.
Quote:
Quote:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 01:12 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,422,155 times
The differences among denominations pit believers against one another, rather than present a cohesive whole to the world whereby we are seen as more credible in what we believe. The differences weaken our witness to the world. You can see that when unbelievers tell us that because we aren't united among ourselves, how can they believe us? Instead, they tell us we believe in fairy tales and myths.

One of the reasons I'm disillusioned with, and converting away from, Protestantism is precisely because of all the divisions. Jesus prayed for our unity.

Old 10-02-2007, 01:13 PM

396 posts, read 399,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yhwhshalomjr View Post
I mean the different doctrines and all: How we sit, how we stand, how we this and that. If we are all serving Christ according to the Holy Bible, and walking according to His will which is His word; Do we really spend too much time focusing on our differences, than our likeness and unity?
The crux of Christianity is to always remember that Jesus Christ died for all our sins past, present and future. People will focus on actions as a way of ensuring their spot in heaven, which is wrong, instead of allowing themselves to be a vessel for Christ. Being a vessel allows others to experience Jesus Christ through us. But sometimes, the filter gets muddy b/c of our own selfish desires like the ones you mentioned in your post.

Last edited by grew-up-3rd-culture; 10-02-2007 at 01:15 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-03-2007, 08:22 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,622,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
The differences among denominations pit believers against one another, rather than present a cohesive whole to the world whereby we are seen as more credible in what we believe. The differences weaken our witness to the world. You can see that when unbelievers tell us that because we aren't united among ourselves, how can they believe us? Instead, they tell us we believe in fairy tales and myths.

One of the reasons I'm disillusioned with, and converting away from, Protestantism is precisely because of all the divisions. Jesus prayed for our unity.
The arguing and in-fighting is just so much nonsense. And, divisions aren't just within Protestantism. The Catholics fight with each other, over doctrine, etc. The Jewish folk have disputes. The Muslims can't get it together. I'd be willing to bet that even the Buddhists fuss with each other. It doesn't appear that any religion can present a truly cohesive whole to the world, and I don't think it ever will, because folks being what they are, (contentious and argumentative), no one wants to see the other side of things. I'm not against any of the folks, themselves, (I can be, and have been, just as bad). I just have no further use for organized religion. I gave it up a few years ago, and although I wouldn't say that I would never set foot in a place of worship again, (you know, never say never), I can tell you that I don't see it happening any time soon. I'd rather go outside to my backyard early in the mornings, or head to the woods. I get more accomplished, between me and my Creator!

Old 10-03-2007, 03:09 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,341,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yhwhshalomjr View Post
Take kneeling in Church for example. I can imagine the opinions, all of which would probably correct.
For me however, it's not just my mind and soul that needs to submit to the LORD, sometimes my body does too. Kneeling reminds me of that. And that's good for me.

Old 10-03-2007, 03:16 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,353,570 times
CelticLady, The Buddhist fight over doctrine just like anyone else. Who has the correct Buddhist teachings and how to intrepret them. Now some organizations will just not talk about these things, but if you ever got on a Buddhist board you would see the same things as you find in Christianity.

My feeling is that it doesn't matter what you believe in regards to which Christian religion is the truth; instead I think what matters is what is in your heart.

Old 10-03-2007, 03:27 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,745,612 times
Ive come to not even like the word "religion"..to me, it makes me thing of manmade things..and not things of God...
Most of the things Christians argue about IMHO should be a "in house" debate..We should be united in our cause for Christ..not divided under a banner that hangs over a door, or sign..If you want to kneel before God..kneel...if you want to raise your hands and pray loudly..do it...but do it because that feels right to you..not because ARGUY or someone else tells you its right..its between you and God.
my children do different things as signs of affection to me..one want ten hugs and the other a kiss on the cheek..but they are still both my children no matter how they show me they love me...same way with God..

Old 10-03-2007, 03:39 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,501,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
my children do different things as signs of affection to me..one want ten hugs and the other a kiss on the cheek..but they are still both my children no matter how they show me they love me...same way with God..
That's a great way of explaining it, arguy. I tried to rep you, but, ya know...

Old 10-03-2007, 03:47 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,276,700 times
Default A different type of "difference"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
The differences weaken our witness to the world. You can see that when unbelievers tell us that because we aren't united among ourselves, how can they believe us? Instead, they tell us we believe in fairy tales and myths.
This unbeliever does not think that you believe in myths and fairy tales. No.

I think that there will always exist deviations and differences within any belief system. That seems unavoidable. I don't know that that, (in and of itself,) is necessarily the problem.

It is in how the belief is delivered, transmuted. Translated.

I suspect that in part, one of the reasons that westerners are attracted to a belief such as Buddhism is precisely in it's presentation. As one poster above said, yes, no doubt even the Buddhists fuss amongst themselves. However, there is a means by which the spirit of their belief comes across. It is a totally different mindset. There are vast differences within the many schools of Buddhist thought. And yet, what accounts for their gentleness? What accounts for their inherent calm acceptance? Of others, of themselves, of their own beliefs? There is an attitude of almost silent peace and acceptance by which their belief comes through, comes across. They not only know and accept their audience, but know on a very deep level how to perceive and understand differences. Polarities. They do not think in polarities.

Unity is good. But differences can be tolerated as well as accepted. It's in how what is in your heart is translated...

Take gentle care

Old 10-03-2007, 04:09 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
I very seldom refer to myself as a christian anymore..If you tell someone you are christian, most of the times you have opened a can of worms. What church? Baptize? Communion? Trinity? Denominational/non? Fiery Hell or not? The list goes on...I am a believer, and have found that there is some part of every religion within me that makes me who I am. God is not confusion, God is not a punisher, God is not a test giver..God is pure love and perfection. God is the creator and God promises eternal life for those who believe and show love for all of his creation. He sent his son to teach us about Him and his unconditiomal love. He allowed His son to be the final sacrifice for us, then he sent the holy spirit to always be with us to guide and teach and comfort us..Yes, being a believer has uncomplicated my life and has given me such peace.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 10-03-2007 at 04:26 PM.. Reason: Content change
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity