Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 12:41 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,948,774 times

Advertisements

Lissen, how ELSE are they gonna control all them OTHER people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 12:50 PM

16,729 posts, read 15,734,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Lord of the Rings is based on Catholic dogma.
"my precious" is how original sin can overtake the soul of a person.
I've seen some interesting documentaries about the Middle Earth sagas
and Christianity.
J.R.R.Tolkien would disagree with that, although he did admit that one scene in The Lord of the Rings did exemplify a few lines in the Lord's Prayer. He was devoutly Catholic.

Old 09-25-2014, 01:48 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,153,478 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Hell: This seems to be the one thing that you can't mess with for many Christians. You can say almost anything about the practice of the faith. How to behave. How to treat people. Should you love a certain person. Etc. Because those things are not important. They hold no significance. Ethical rules have no bearing one way or another on their faith.

The real important thing is the suffering of all nonbelievers. It seems that if you question that then you have really crossed a line in what they value and cherish and hold close their hearts.

Why do Christians seem to like the idea of Hell so much?
Oops...Just one slight correction:

Quote:
Why do Christians seem to like the idea of Hell so much?
Let's continue the opening thought to your OP...

"Why do many Christians seem to like the idea of Hell so much?"

There we go.

Old 09-25-2014, 02:27 PM

9,697 posts, read 10,046,682 times
The idea is that people need to have a correct understanding of the devil and demons and fallen angels , as these totally corrupt celestial beings are always trying to deceive people and then to destroy people in the earth and Jesus created this place for the devil and his angels , which is this hell ......... Look at all the people who died of cancer or diabetes this year , well these devils and demons are responsible of manipulating the flesh of man to plug up the organs and infest with disease , and most people just blame it on nature , which is a total error ....... hell should be the place for these spirits which God extends No mercy for ....

Old 09-25-2014, 07:41 PM

14,909 posts, read 17,215,431 times
Many believe that "eternal" hell is true based on what many translations teach and it is a firm tradition that is just accepted. When one of co workers found out that I did not believe in eternal hell, she could not comprehend why in the world I came to that conclusion. She was dumbfounded. If someone disagrees with the idea of an eternal hell, they may be seen as a heretic, as deceived, as a wolf in sheep's clothing and so on, despite the fact that the person who disbelieves in eternal hell, has scriptural support for his or her disbelief. But I believe that God has a purpose for all things. God bless.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:21 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,256,912 times
The Scriptures teach it, and so does Jesus. Hell is not something anyone 'likes', heck even God doesn't like it, but still it remains a fact. The issue is that Hell, like most other doctrines, are taught clearly in the Scriptures and held up by Jesus as truth. We are to stand firm in the truth of God and His Word and firmly reject those who pervert, add or remove from it.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:31 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,242,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
The Scriptures teach it, and so does Jesus. Hell is not something anyone 'likes', heck even God doesn't like it, but still it remains a fact. The issue is that Hell, like most other doctrines, are taught clearly in the Scriptures and held up by Jesus as truth. We are to stand firm in the truth of God and His Word and firmly reject those who pervert, add or remove from it.
Yes, continue to stand stalwart in the face of reality.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:46 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,256,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Yes, continue to stand stalwart in the face of reality.

...and also for me, that words may be given to me in opening my mouth boldly to proclaim the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains, that I may declare it boldly, as I ought to speak. (Eph. 6:19-20)

Old 09-25-2014, 08:52 PM

113 posts, read 114,041 times
Isnt Gehenna the word for "Hell" in the Bible?

Old 09-25-2014, 08:55 PM

28,122 posts, read 30,041,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I don't know of any. But then you and I have a fundamental difference of opinion on what a "Christian" is.
You're right about that. My definition of a Christian is someone who has chosen to follow Jesus Christ, i.e. to be His disciple. Your definition of a Christian is someone whose doctrines all line up with yours. You do realize, of course, that I am far from being the only professed Christian on this forum who believes that God did not create humanity in order that He might be assured of having an almost endless supply of firewood. You just cannot fathom that every other Christian in the world does not believe as you do with respect to God's love, patience and mercy. With you, it has to be a case of, "I'm right and everybody who believes differently is wrong."

By the way, I notice you failed to comment on either of my posts in the thread suggesting that adherents of each religion be allowed to present their own teachings in a classroom setting. You seemed to be okay with the idea as long as you could be the spokesman for Christianity. You obviously didn't like the idea of my having equal time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity