Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 07:57 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,532,663 times

Advertisements

I am a recently retired black pastor of a Baptist Church located in the greater Portland, Oregon area. A friend of mine, who lives in the Raleigh area, and I, have been emailing one another snapshots of events and stories from our lives as pastors. He asked me what role race has played in my career. My answers and his observations led us to ask "What role does race play in your Christian life?" Would you attend a church led by and predominately attended by a race(s) different than your own? Thanks in advance for your thoughts and comments.

God Bless.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2014, 08:04 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,616,892 times
I thought I was dancing and singing in a Baptist church once only to have my mom wake me up to kneel. I was RCer. I always said I wish we had some good ol' black Baptist fun.

A trickier question is "are we all the same based on the actions of the individuals in our groups?". The answer is yes and no. Yes, we are all equal.

Old 09-27-2014, 08:54 AM

1,196 posts, read 756,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cephas40 View Post

I have a question for you do you think Jesus ONLY taught his Father's words ,(John 12:49,50 For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak. And I know that his commandment is life everlasting: whatsoever I speak therefore, even as the Father said unto me, so I speak), to ONLY Jewish people?

Or better yet, do you believe ONLY those of the Jewish Nation gather at Jesus sermons? As a witness of Jehovah, it's a joy for me to be around ALL races. I've never been one who just wanted to be around my own. At the assembly in Atlanta in July, it was the world convention. And witnesses from ALL countries were there. I couldn't make it, but my kids took MANY pictures of themselves and their kids posing with spiritual siblings of the world.

And they wasn't (the siblings), just posing with them, But they were holding my grandchildren. Even though they spoke in their tongues. The whole congregation, receive and understood Jehovah words. They fellow shipped with each other. even exchange hugs and phone numbers. Jehovah never plan segregation among his people. Satan did, by using mankind as his puppets.

Jesus taught his people to love one another, (John 13:34). as well as his other followers and Jehovah's servants ,(1John 4:20,21 If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen? And this commandment have we from him, That he who loveth God love his brother also). Also (Rom.12:10 and 1Thess.3:12). peace

Old 09-27-2014, 09:11 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,731,564 times
Quote:
I am a recently retired black pastor of a Baptist Church located in the greater Portland, Oregon area. A friend of mine, who lives in the Raleigh area, and I, have been emailing one another snapshots of events and stories from our lives as pastors. He asked me what role race has played in my career. My answers and his observations led us to ask "What role does race play in your Christian life?" Would you attend a church led by and predominately attended by a race(s) different than your own? Thanks in advance for your thoughts and comments.

God Bless.......
Cephas, I was saved as a young man in a Southern Baptist Church in Biloxi, Mississippi in 1963 (Mississippians had still not adjusted to James Meredith integrating their state university the year before). My father was a lifer in the AF so we had been around plenty of black people. But our church in Mississippi was completely white.

The evangelist who came to preach a week revival was from Texas, and I don't recall his name now. But about Tuesday night he asked this question of our congregation. "Why are there no black people in this church? Usually there are some at least in the balcony? Are they not created by God? Doesn't God love them as much as He love us? Don't we have a responsibility to win them to Christ?" I was convicted and committed my life to Christ under his preaching
Needless to say, attendance fell off significantly after that sermon.

And, by the way, I was the first white person to preach in a Sunday "evening" service at a black church in the small town where I attended college. The pastor would not surrender his Sunday morning service to anyone else (that was the PASTOR's responsibility) but did allow a small youth revival team to come in. It was a terrific experience for me because I found the congregation so much more animated than in white churches. And my usual half hour sermon, considered a bit long in white churches, was positively abbreviated by that particular black church's standards. That morning the pastor had preached for over an hour!!

Last edited by Wardendresden; 09-27-2014 at 09:32 AM..

Old 09-27-2014, 09:25 AM

229 posts, read 338,475 times
Quote:

God Bless.......
Let's be honest, some who say they worship God ARE influenced by who attends or who they listen to. For us to think that never happens would be a bit naive. Some people were just brought up in different times, areas, believe all they hear, etc and it's hard for them to push away incorrect thinking. We only need to look at the example of Paul correcting Peter who wouldn't eat with the Gentiles and yet Peter was an disciple of Jesus!

However, personally Acts 10:34 shows God is not partial and Job 34:19 shows he does not favor the rich over the poor so why should I show an attitude that conflicts with Gods word based off ethic background, social status, income, etc? How much more so my brothers and sisters? Should I also not imitate Jesus numerous examples of how to treat and think of one another? Even the example of the Samaritan woman is excellent.

As a sincere bible student what matters most to me is the aspect of truth in worship and teachings. No matter what your personal background if someone has false teachings, misapplication of scriptures or just uses only personal interpretation then I reject and would not consider attending.

Old 09-27-2014, 09:47 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,225,130 times
Quote:

God Bless.......
I'm a white pastor in rural Nebraska. I was once asked by a black classmate in school if I'd consider pastoring a black church. Honestly...it had never occurred to me. I hadn't considered that I'd even be a candidate for a pastoral position in a black church. I had never thought I WOULDN'T want to be in such a role...I just hadn't considered it an option.

Culturally, I guess I've always assumed that I wouldn't necessarily be effective in the role. I grew up on a farm, and do not have an urban background. To be honest, most black people I've ever been friends with tend to be from an inner city environment, although I've always had black classmates and even had a black neighbor in my last house in the suburbs.

Old 09-27-2014, 12:09 PM

14,905 posts, read 17,212,127 times
Quote:

I am a recently retired black pastor of a Baptist Church located in the
greater Portland, Oregon area. A friend of mine, who lives in the Raleigh area,
and I, have been emailing one another snapshots of events and stories from our
lives as pastors. He asked me what role race has played in my career. My
answers and his observations led us to ask "What role does race play in your
Christian life?" Would you attend a church led by and predominately attended by
a race(s) different than your own? Thanks in advance for your thoughts and
comments.
I am black and I grew up in a black Baptist church in NC. When I went to graduate school I began to associate with believers who attended predominately white congregations. So I began to attend services with predominately white members. . This was not a big issue for me because I attended a traditionally white women's college, with me being the only black person living on campus for two years. Also, the black congregation that I grew up in did not have what were considered to be lively or animated services. It was very low key and formal, so the transition into this particularly mostly white congregation was not that big of a deal for me. Later I've attended services that have all black congregations, mixed congregations, mostly white congregations, and more recently I attended a wonderful service with a mostly Hispanic population. The minister was from El Salvador. Race is not an issue to me and I feel that believers should make more of an effort to embrace people of all ethnicities and backgrounds because we are one body and we are all God's people. I will share that I felt comfortable in all congregations where I have worshipped with or visited with the exception of one congregation in Florida because when my black friend and I arrived there for worship, we were immediately told at the door, that we might feel more comfortable at a black congregation, meaning that we were not wanted there. His expression said it all.

God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 09-27-2014 at 12:56 PM..

Old 09-27-2014, 12:32 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,828,847 times
Quote:

God Bless.......
Hello my friend

As a Catholic I have always worshiped with folks of other races - primarily Vietnamese, Hispanic, African American, Indian, and oops don't want to forget the Filipino's!

I can honestly say that race does not play a role in my "Christian life".

It has always troubled me to visit white only churches. I don't think everyone in them is necessarily racist at all, I just think people tend to segregate themselves along culture lines in Protestant denominations, in general of course.

But for Catholics, our faith and religion trump the issue of culture.

Just my observation

Old 09-27-2014, 01:00 PM

12,410 posts, read 8,197,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Hello my friend

As a Catholic I have always worshiped with folks of other races - primarily Vietnamese, Hispanic, African American, Indian, and oops don't want to forget the Filipino's!

I can honestly say that race does not play a role in my "Christian life".

It has always troubled me to visit white only churches. I don't think everyone in them is necessarily racist at all, I just think people tend to segregate themselves along culture lines in Protestant denominations, in general of course.

But for Catholics, our faith and religion trump the issue of culture.

Just my observation
Of course when there is the option of many nearby parishes that falls apart as one can be informally designated to serve ethnic group x and then people start travelling from the nominal home parish to the nearby one dominated by the preferred ethnic group.

Old 09-27-2014, 01:17 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,828,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Of course when there is the option of many nearby parishes that falls apart as one can be informally designated to serve ethnic group x and then people start travelling from the nominal home parish to the nearby one dominated by the preferred ethnic group.
Maybe in really large older cities with those kinds of options.

But places I've lived have often been limited to a small number of parishes to choose from, so that just doesn't happen.

I think some folks will just always be more comfortable in their own cultural groups. And that's okay, it doesn't mean they are racist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity