Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2014, 05:41 AM

757 posts, read 1,024,832 times

Advertisements

I saw Son of God during the weekend, which reminded me another great TV movie about the life of Jesus, Jesus of Nazareth. It has to be my favorite by far. SOG is great but it seems more like a long preview of the TV series. Too much got filtered out for time sake. I also saw The Passion of the Christ, but it was too brutal to digest seeing Him being tortured that way. The special effect was too realistic. And then there is The Last Temptation of Christ. It was really controversial when it first came out. Some considered it blaspheme and warned Christians not to watch it. Some still do, I imagine.

Did you watch them all before? What is your opinion? Any other good suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 09:20 AM

33,229 posts, read 26,440,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Crusoe View Post
I saw Son of God during the weekend, which reminded me another great TV movie about the life of Jesus, Jesus of Nazareth. It has to be my favorite by far. SOG is great but it seems more like a long preview of the TV series. Too much got filtered out for time sake. I also saw The Passion of the Christ, but it was too brutal to digest seeing Him being tortured that way. The special effect was too realistic. And then there is The Last Temptation of Christ. It was really controversial when it first came out. Some considered it blaspheme and warned Christians not to watch it. Some still do, I imagine.

Did you watch them all before? What is your opinion? Any other good suggestions?

I've seen 'Jesus of Nazareth' and like it. I saw at least some of 'The Last Temptation of Christ' but did not like it. I saw the TV miniseries on which the movie 'SOG' is based, but didn't see the movie. One of my favorites is 'The Greatest Story Ever Told,' but my very favorite is 'The Jesus Film' which I post below and recommend. It's the full movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pGEv9qXVaY

Read the review of the 'Jesus Film' below which was produced for evangelization purposes.

The JESUS Film Project | Home

Last edited by Michael Way; 09-30-2014 at 09:40 AM..

Old 09-30-2014, 09:27 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,590,580 times
I do not care for the genre... because it is impossible to portray Biblical events and people
and espirit de temps with modern actors and sets. It is just IMPOSSIBLE, therefore
I perceive these films as potentially dangerous and avoid them.
Documentaries and some well done children's animated are ok.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:38 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,617,606 times
Re: 'potentially dangerous'

I see someone is afraid and fearful. The genre arguably is 'art'.
Portrayals then are feasible.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:07 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
I didn't really appreciate the treatment of the text that "The Bible" by Rick Warren and the gang did, so I avoided "Son of God", which was basically just a movie made of clips from the tv miniseries.

Having said that, I did see Passion of the Christ. It was violent and gory--but it was that way for a reason. It showed what happens when they crucify a man. That's what Jesus went through.

I have not seen the others mentioned.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:50 PM

33,229 posts, read 26,440,532 times
This movie isn't about Jesus but it fits the topic of the thread. It's about Jacob and that's the name of the movie. I think it's pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY2olWZRmX4

Old 10-04-2014, 04:26 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times
Seen some of these , as it will give a vision of the Bible which will be a benefit .....Even though there is some errors in interpretation of the Script for the Word of God it is Good to discern the errors and know the mistake then to let them pass believing in Hollywood ideas .........Still I find Revelation and tribulation theme moves way out of line in truth and will avoid them ..... But the biblical movies with Characters from the bible are interesting

Old 10-04-2014, 06:57 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,588,087 times
I watched Jesus of Nazareth, and especially liked the way the actor Robert Powell portrayed Jesus. I liked a few scenes which really touched me like when Jesus was protective of the man born blind and he made him see and when the Pharasees were attacking the man, Jesus protected him. I like to think of Jesus doing that with me. And the other scene when Mary Magdalene realized her life was effed up and she cried, and realized Jesus really was the one to follow, that reminded me of how I would react. So I really liked the way Robert Powell portrayed Jesus in the movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity