Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2014, 02:02 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,739,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
It's pretty much cliche, but it still seems like people with your viewpoint can't distinguish between hate the sin and love the sinner. If someone in my family was a bank robber, I would still love them, but hate their lifestyle choice. There is a clear distinction.
Jeff, that's how I feel about YOU!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 02:02 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,351,492 times
Quote:
It's pretty much cliche, but it still seems like people with your viewpoint can't distinguish between hate the sin and love the sinner. If someone in my family was a bank robber, I would still love them, but hate their lifestyle choice. There is a clear distinction.
That's nice, keep it out of policy and legislation and you can "hate" the sin all you want.

Old 10-21-2014, 02:08 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,686,284 times
Quote:
No one cares what you hate or what you think is someone else's 'choice'. Just keep your hate out of the law books and other peoples' lives and you can think whatever you want.

Old 10-21-2014, 02:09 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,739,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
I don't agree with everything you post, but this is perfectly said. I've seen that video before and every time I hear the words, 'Who is your neighbor?'. Samaritans were considered blasphemous and were hated by the Jews, and yet Jesus taught supreme love and mercy upon everyone, even those who are walking in darkness or are hated. Perhaps even especially so...
We frequently get the message of the Good Samaritan wrong. Here is a take on it from a non-Christian, Jewish professor of NT and Jewish Studies:

Quote:
Our usual understanding of this famous story goes astray in several ways.
Quote:

First, readers presume that a priest and Levite bypass the wounded man because they are attempting to avoid becoming “unclean.” Nonsense.

All this interpretation does is make Jewish Law look bad. The priest is not going up to Jerusalem where purity would be a concern – he is “going down” to Jericho. No law prevents Levites from touching corpses, and there are numerous other reasons why ritual purity is not relevant here.

Jesus mentions priest and Levite because they set up a third category: Israelite. To mention the first two is to invoke the third. If I say, “Larry, Moe …” you will say “Curly.” However, to go from priest to Levite to Samaritan is like going from Larry to Moe to Osama bin Laden.

That analogy leads us to the second misreading.

The parable is often seen as a story of how the oppressed minority – immigrants, gay people, people on parole – are “nice” and therefore we should check our prejudices. Samaritans, then, were not the oppressed minority: They were the enemy. We know this not only from the historian Josephus, but also from Luke the evangelist. Just one chapter before our parable, Jesus seeks lodging in a Samaritan village, but they refuse him hospitality. Moreover, Samaria had another name: Shechem. At Shechem, Jacob’s daughter Dinah is raped or seduced by the local prince. At Shechem, the murderous judge Abimelech is based.

We are the person in the ditch, and we see the Samaritan. Our first thought: “He’s going to rape me. He’s going to murder me.” Then we realize: Our enemy may be the very person who will save us. Indeed, if we simply ask “where is Samaria today?” we can see the import of this parable for the Israeli/Palestinian crisis.
Amy-Jill Levine is the author of "Short Stories by Jesus: The Enigmatic Parables of a Controversial Rabbi," and a professor of New Testament and Jewish Studies at Vanderbilt University Divinity School and College of Arts and Sciences.
The person we hate, may well be the person that saves us. So why do we speak so negatively about them?

Old 10-21-2014, 02:12 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,259,029 times
Quote:
If someone in my family was a bank robber, I would still love them, but hate their lifestyle choice.
So what? Christ told us to love one another. He didn't say, "Love the people you're related to."

Do you love members of the gay community? So far all I've learned from your numerous posts on this subject is that you think they're sinners, you don't like interacting with them and you REALLY don't want them to have a parade if you have to sit in traffic. Where's Jesus come in if you won't even tolerate a Gay Pride parade?

Old 10-21-2014, 02:21 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,257,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
That's nice, keep it out of policy and legislation and you can "hate" the sin all you want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
No one cares what you hate or what you think is someone else's 'choice'. Just keep your hate out of the law books and other peoples' lives and you can think whatever you want.
So interesting to see the supreme authority people place on laws and legislation, as if those things aren't based merely on the subjective moralities of ordinary people. Laws are simply a group of people saying, "I think this is wrong." and making rules to enforce those beliefs upon others, usually at the barrel of a gun.

Just as you might find same-sex marriage laws 'good', other people find them 'bad' and the only authority that wins out is the one with more power and having power does not make someone or a group more moral than any other group or person.

History is riddled with laws that the majority considered 'good' and were later cast aside by future generation that felt they were the actual 'good'. In reality as Christians, we believe the only moral authority is derived from God and has never changed.

Old 10-21-2014, 02:43 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,686,284 times
Quote:
So interesting to see the supreme authority people place on laws and legislation, as if those things aren't based merely on the subjective moralities of ordinary people. Laws are simply a group of people saying, "I think this is wrong." and making rules to enforce those beliefs upon others, usually at the barrel of a gun.

Just as you might find same-sex marriage laws 'good', other people find them 'bad' and the only authority that wins out is the one with more power and having power does not make someone or a group more moral than any other group or person.

History is riddled with laws that the majority considered 'good' and were later cast aside by future generation that felt they were the actual 'good'. In reality as Christians, we believe the only moral authority is derived from God and has never changed.
So what? Do you really not understand the difference between being legislated against and someone simply having an opinion about you? I'll spell it out. One interferes with others' lives. The other does not.

No one's asking you for your approval, well-wishes or blessing. You're entitled to believe whatever you want. Just don't be so arrogant to think that your opinion deserves governance over someone else.

Old 10-21-2014, 02:47 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,662,313 times
Quote:

That's fine. You can believe that all day long. You are well within your rights to believe whatever you please.

What you don't have a right to do is to legislate your beliefs and force them on others.

Old 10-21-2014, 02:52 PM

10,096 posts, read 5,760,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Not when your policies and laws infringes on my religious freedom.

Old 10-21-2014, 02:52 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,257,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
What you don't have a right to do is to legislate your beliefs and force them on others.
But you do?

Did you even read my post? This is the thinking I am talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity